• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corral rentals

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corral rentals

I was wondering about renting out my corrals and sheds this winter. We would not have to do anything except make sure the water and power are on and they would do the rest, my question is what do you think that would be worth or not to even bother with it?. May be about 30 head and out of that there would be maybe 4 bulls. Thanks

The first thing you would need to realize is that if you live on the farmstead where your corrals are located you will have to put up with people other than yourselves in your yard doing chores or whatever is necessary for the cattle.

My own personal view would be that the small amount you would make for renting the corrals would not make up for the loss of privacy.

Comment

Thanks for the input, but at the present time we both work of the farm so if they come during the day to do chores it should not affect us to much.

Comment

Where are you tweaker?
        I have tons of advice on renting...
        everything and anything. I've turned from international seedstock producer to property manager during the last three or so years and not necessarily by choice, just sort of fell into it. How much advice do you want so as I'm not over-soliciting and I would need to know where you are and for how long of a term you might be thinking of doing this. My own original farm is now a "rental" for us and a signifigant portion of my herd got "rented" out as well. Let me know if you need detailed advice and specifically what advice if you are looking for any. Good luck. Have a good day all!

Comment

We live in east central Sask.

Comment

Whiteface, I would be curious to know about the prices and so forth for such a venture. I am still running my own cattle, but should the time come that I cannot keep it up, I too have a wonderful set up with 7 electric waterers, a full shed with steel corrals and another lounging shed and windbreaks, etc.etc. I too used to be a seedstock producer and am now cow/calf, and who knows what next as the time progresses. I will still need to keep the waterers from freezing in the winter, so at some point, perhaps it would be good to have some rental to offset the cost of the utilities..of course the people in and out of the yard is always a concern, however, if one gets the right renter, then that can turn to a positive--who pays for the corral cleaning...when does the cash exchange hands...before the cattle/horses/whatever move in..damage deposits...just what will the market bear?? I am east of Airdrie, Ab...

Comment

Sage, you're in a simply awesome area for the renting out of your corrals, or anything else you may have available. I mean that sincerely! Your set up sounds amazing and certainly if you are looking to get a quality renter and a lease, that is exactly the sort of thing I'm doing now. Started off as just a sideshow for myself and then grew from there. As I mentioned, I am now a property manager not necesarily by choice. My farm in Olds is rented in its entirety with the exception of the alfalfa hayfield. It pays for everything. Including a little left over while the value of the property itself contiunes to climb. It's not a venture for everyone but then neither is cattle for everyone. You decide what works for you and then try and make the most of it. I may be sounding vague but seriously, I don't want to give any unsolicited advice or start raining on any other opinions, I respect that people need to do what they need to do, but this is working like a damn for us and anything I can help with, I do have experience and credentials to bring to the table.
              Thanks for the reply tweaker, you're area is not as much in demand as some others but then most people in your area don't have the same kind of overhead that we're blessed with either and can still make the numbers work out very nicely. I'll help in any way I can.
              Thanks for asking. Not sure that I answered your questions but then, tell me exactly how I might be able to help you and I will certainly try.
              Have a good day and enjoy the moisture!

Comment

2" of rain here since this morning, and its still coming down. Hope the ground isn't white in the morning !

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...