• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to disperse herd

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to disperse herd

I have 130 gelvieh cross cows located in sw sask and am wondering which would be the bests way to sell private or auction? if auction were would the strongest market be for this breed?

The auction markets all have bred cow sales and usually advertise dispersals well in advance. Our local auction market is holding the first bred cow sale in early October and there are already 2000 breds consigned including the dispersal of a large herd from BC.

Comment

i've had two market managers tell me this week that there will be lots of cows for sale this fall and the number of dispersals is up as well.

Comment

I'd sell them private treaty if I were you-I don't like putting my life's work in the hands of a mart and then paying through the nose for the privilege. Good reputation cows aren't hard to sell on farm.

Comment

Good advice cswilson. Advertising in a few newspapers and having the cattle penned at home, have calving and breeding information available as well as a letter from the vet on the soundness and herd health management wouldn't hurt.

Comment

I wasted a day at your local auction last fall Coppertop trying to buy cows. A big purebred dispersal from BC where the cows sold for big money and were all home by nightfall - their own home rumour has it. An inefficient way to conduct a valuation if I ever saw one.

Comment

The best way to buy a herd of cows is direct from one owner, so you would think that it should also be the best way to sell a herd.

Bred cow sales are OK to help determine what cows are going for, but even if you sold them for only slightly above "auction" price, you'd pocket a bit extra because of not having to haul them or pay commission. I'm not sure about other auction marts, but the sales commission in our local one is pretty high. You may as well keep that extra money yourself.

Word of advice. Make sure the buyer's cheque is good!

Comment

thanks for the advice, i guess if i were to buy cows i would like to see were they come from. how do you guys figure the bred cow market will be this fall?

Comment

The prices are usually better toward the end of the year if there are any tax dollars to be spent.

grassfarmer, every auction market has its tales of the cattle going back home, dealers buy cattle, auction markets buy cattle and re-sell them a week or so later.

Walking through the pens behind the auction market a couple of days after a bred sale certainly is an eyeopener !!!

It's not the way I would do business but then, I am not a cattle buyer !

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...