• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EFP grazing manangement plans

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EFP grazing manangement plans

I was going through the paperwork lst night on getting a proper grazing plan done through the EFP process does anybody know, or is there some recomendations on getting someone into west central Sask. What type of questions sould I be asking of these folks? What does a good plan look like? Is it different veiwpoints melded into your own operation or do you try to use their blue-print for success?
    thanks

A grazing plan is very much specific to your own operation-only you really know the ins and outs of your operation. Were you thinking of hiring someone to help you do yours or were you looking for some help in putting it together. The EFP paperwork looks pretty daunting at first but it's not bad once you get into it.

Comment

Yes I agree that the EFP paper work is not very tough and that, If done you will be well paid. My sister is moving home and her husband has worked cattle around the world and mannaged a place in New Zealand but is not at all familar with Saskatchewan cattle conditions. I am already aproved under the EFP process and since I will also be putting some Cattle and land that I already know in this venture, I thought no better time to do a real grazing plan and improve on the frame work we have. So in answer to your question I would like help to design a whole new plan intigrating our current herd 220 and 2000 acres grass and pasture to 500 head and see how much grain land to plant back to maintain this #. We already do spring calving Aprril-15th- theymost come in may and june with straglers up untill sept. Very basic rotational grazing with lots of room for growth and better management we don't bring our cattle home and only handle to Brand, nut, vacinate, and then wean. The brother in law will bring in Dogs and has done break grazing moving fence every couple hours. I told him in Sask, land is to cheap to manage that intensivly we are at $250/acre for all you want . He is at $4000 if you can find it. its a diferent world. thanks

Comment

Also for any-one going through the EFP process don't get in to much of a hurry. I have been in a big panic to try and get things done in time for summer and then thy are 6-8 weeks once it hits the mail, If you have everything in order

Comment

"I told him in Sask, land is to cheap to manage that intensivly...." Wow what an interesting concept. In the grass management business greater intensity equals greater profits. You must be very confident you can make lots of money at it if you would rather outlay $250 an acre to buy more land rather than use the land you have more intensively.

Comment

As for management intensive grazing there are going to be some tradeoffs between the optimium and the practical. Any pasture division you make will certainly help but as for setting it up so cattle need to be attendede and moved 2 or more times a day that would be up to you to decide. Calving through a rotational grazing situation can be a challenge also-we kind of steal a page from 'drift lambing' as we move we leave the back paddocks open so the freshly dropped calves can follow along at their own pace. Are you looking for a consultant to travel to your operation and sit down with you to design your plan. If you get your watering sites developed than you can work out from there.

Comment

I'm not going to toss in anymore than these 2 have, mainly because I respect their knowledge and experience and know that they'll help you as good as anyone can. I will suggest this though - calving from April 15th through to September will hurt your profitability and capacity to sustain 2 families as much as your grass management.

Pull your bulls or do whatever may be necessary to tighten up your calving interval, and it will help immensely. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Yes I am looking for a consultant to come to the farm to get and overveiw of the farm and our strengths and weaknesses. I got a number today for the Sask consulting agrologists Assoc.
                Adele Buetner 306-933-2974
                I realize that I lack lots in the management of the cattle on our place but thats why I read these posts and go to as many things as I can find time for. (profesional development)
                I wanted to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about and interveiw them find out if I will get good value or just someones photo copied work, before I spend big dollars, rather than try to adapt later and lose time and money.
                Thanks for the advice about pulling the bulls but what do you do if you have open cows worth .37 cents

Comment

Why not hop in your vehicle and tour some outfits that are doing what you want to develop. Tight calving seasons have been the darling of extension agrologists and feed salesman for years-as a rule of thumb the longer you retain ownership of your cattle the less vital calving period and weaning weight become. You didn't mention what percentage of your cows are straggling on-an easy way to shorten up a calving season is after a certain amount of days just can any cows that aren't wet. If you are going to calve later and run yearlings by the time you sell your grass yearlings not many people will be able to pick out the ones born at the end of a 60 day season.A good idea with any rotational grazing plan is to remember you have to crawl before you can walk. For example if you have a section of pasture-maybe try four paddocks the first year-eight the second-16 the third etc. It will give you some time to gain experience and learn as you grow.There's been some bad wrecks with people baling into these deals with too many cattle off the get go.

Comment

just_ wondering, you are getting some excellent advice here from people who understand the business and have years of practical knowledge.

I agree with cswhilson, visiting other operations and learning from their successes and mistakes will only cost you time and a tank or so of gas.

I am sure there are good consultants around but remember they aren't the ones paying for putting their recommendations in place, and its not their bottom line if things don't work as they suggest.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.