• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With friends like this who needs enemies

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With friends like this who needs enemies

Courtesy Willow Creek

Latest BSE Case Shows Canadian BSE Problem Worse Than First Thought

Source: R-CALF USA

BILLINGS, MONT. (July 6, 2006) The Canadian government confirmed another positive case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) on July 4, 2006. Canada’s total reported BSE cases now number eight – one detected in a cow imported from Great Britain in 1993 and seven detected in native-born Canadian cattle.

“It is clear that Canada’s BSE problem is making it more difficult for U.S. beef to get back into the markets of South Korea and Japan,” said R-CALF USA President Chuck Kiker. “We need to be able to differentiate high-quality U.S. beef from Canadian beef to gain full resumption of U.S. exports. I hope that President Bush will ask the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to make this important policy change. I also ask the President to urge Canadian Prime Minister Harper to increase BSE testing and take other mitigation measures to get this problem under control,” Kiker continued.

South Korea recently informed the U.S. that it was delaying the resumption of imports of U.S. beef because it was concerned that the U.S. was commingling Canadian beef with U.S. beef.

Kiker said that because USDA policies allow Canadian beef to be commingled with U.S. beef, and remain indistinguishable to consumers, the U.S. cattle industry is unnecessarily tying its reputation to the Canadian cattle herd. “USDA must take immediate action to protect the integrity and viability of the U.S. cattle industry.”

Kiker said R-CALF USA is calling on USDA to immediately implement the following reforms:

1. Postpone indefinitely the agency’s plans to further liberalize U.S. import restrictions by allowing Canadian cattle and beef over 30 months of age into the United States.

2. Immediately adopt and enforce the more stringent BSE import standards that are applied and practiced by all other BSE-affected countries, with the exception of the U.S. and Canada, and which continue to apply to U.S. beef and cattle exports. This would include a requirement that high-risk tissues be removed from Canadian cattle at 12 months of age and a restriction on the scope of imported products, such as only boneless beef from cattle less than 30 months of age.

3. Immediately reverse the USDA policy of granting access for imports to the U.S. market before the U.S. regains market access in foreign countries.

4. Immediately begin differentiating beef produced exclusively from U.S. cattle from beef produced from foreign cattle with a country-of-origin label.

5. Urge the Canadian government to increase BSE testing to the level necessary to determine the true prevalence of BSE in the Canadian cattle herd, including mandatory testing of all high risk cattle.

One of the seven Canadian-origin BSE cases was detected in the U.S. in December 2003, and the remaining six were detected in Canada from a test sample size of about 115,000 total cattle tested since the disease was first detected in Canada’s native cattle herd in May 2003. During the past 12 months, however, the true scope of Canada’s BSE problem has become more evident, with 3 positive cases detected within a test sample size of only about 55,346 cattle tested.

The latest detection confirms that the scope of Canada’s BSE problem is clearly worse than first thought. Canada’s ratio of positive BSE cases per 10,000 cattle tested under its enhanced testing program over the past 12 months is 0.54 cases per 10,000 cattle tested, which is higher than the 12-month ratios reported by many European Union (EU) countries for 2004.

In June 2005, the EU issued a detailed report on the monitoring and testing of cattle for BSE in 2004. (The report on 2005 testing has not yet been released.) In that report, the EU determined the ratio of the total positive cases per number of “risk” cattle tested in each of the Member-States of the European Union, including the United Kingdom.[1] A comparison of Canada’s BSE statistics with data compiled for each member of the EU reveals that Canada’s ratio of BSE positive cattle for the past 12 months of 0.54 is the same as or higher than the 2004 ratios of all but six of the 15 original countries of the EU, which, similar to Canada, all reported results of testing “risk” cattle including fallen stock, animals with clinical signs, and cattle subject to emergency slaughter. Canada’s 12-month ratio is now comparable to or higher than the 2004 ratios reported for Belgium, Denmark, Italy, and the Netherlands.

In addition, Canada’s BSE prevalence rate has increased. In 2005, based on four indigenous cases at the time, the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) calculated Canada’s BSE prevalence rate at .145 cases per million head of adult cattle. With three new cases detected in 2006, Canada’s BSE prevalence rate, based on its adult herd size of approximately six million cattle, has risen to approximately 1.166 per million head of cattle.

“In response to data showing that Canada’s BSE-positive testing ratio is on par with many European Union countries that have detected relatively high numbers of BSE cases over the past several years, the USDA needs to act swiftly so any negative perception that major world beef importers may have regarding Canada’s BSE status does not continue to translate into further delays in reopening lost U.S. export markets,” said Kiker.

# # #

R-CALF USA (Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America) represents thousands of U.S. cattle producers on domestic and international trade and marketing issues. R-CALF USA, a national, non-profit organization, is dedicated to ensuring the continued profitability and viability of the U.S. cattle industry.

r-calfusa.com

Frenchman, why bother giving publicity to this crap? ignore them and they will go away - everybody else is ignoring them.

Comment

Frenchman- You better go over to ranchers.net and chastise Manitoba Rancher-- he posted it over there...LOL

For an "ignored" organization there sure seems to be a lot of people that want to know what they are saying...

Comment

I'll agree with you that R-calf is hard to completely ignore.They are a lot like hemmorrhoids...they may not bother you much today but they have been a real pain in the ass in the past and just knowing they are still there and what they are all about make them irritating.

Comment

Grassfarmer ignore them..You have to be joking..thats part of the problem.

OT ..Mb Rancher was just showing you for what you really are ...

Comment

so willowcreeek tell us of all of r-calf's great accomplishments. seems to me you have a history of small, temporary sucesses and large failures.

Comment

They continue to grow- both in members and influence with Congress.. I think one of the biggest success's was passing the Montana COOL law which goes into effect in Oct. with such a unanimous support. They have done a great deal in educating the country to the misgivings of the Packer Cartel and reining in what before was a free run. Can you imagine what the Tyson/Cargils would try if they had no opposition? Also they have kept the USDA from completely operating out of the Packers back rooms.

With the increasing influence will come some changes- maybe not all at once- but as time and the publics opinion changes..

The next 2 years of elections in the US will be very interesting- and there will be some major backlash's against the current globalism, corporatism, citizen be damned attitude now being promoted in D.C....
              And R-CALF will be there to play a major role in reshaping what plays out..

Comment

Nothing like the passionate rant of a Montana Cow Nazi. Cut and paste somewhere else why don't you-or put your name beside your words. Anybody can chirp behind a nickname. I guess every area has it's drawbacks Sask. has rats, Alberta has gophers and Montana has R-Calfers.

Comment

I'm sorry to all you Albertans that believe that you don't have rats. You now join a similar group of thinkers like R-calfers...... (who believe that the USA doesn't have BSE).

Comment

cswilson--guote " Anybody can chirp behind a nickname."

Like you do on ranchers.net? LOL I doubt the handle cswilson was/is taken there...

Comment

Check back through my posts there blowwad my FULL NAME ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER WAS POSTED THERE-RIGHT AFTER I CHALLENGED YOU R-CALFERS TO DO THE SAME. CRAWL BACK UNDER YOUR ROCK!

Comment

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124825#124825

There you go *****willow-bet you and your r-calf nazis won't return the favour. Just a question how many cows do you run anyway.

Comment

I think you can ask anyone on there and my identity is well known- even my website is there (all tho quite outdated due to my computer illiteracy)- my phone number and address ( I have even talked to several of the Canadian posters on this site )...

If you want to only namecall- so be it...I will not answer your posts then...

I like to look at all viewpoints- play devils advocate- and see the direction everyone is coming from- not just who can call the nastiest name...It is a good way to keep learning...

But if you don't look- you can never learn..

Comment

I still say that Klein should be telling the Americans that Alberta has lots of oil and gas to sell, but before any additional supply heads south our OTM cattle go with it. When gasoline is $10.00 a gallon at the pump in the US maybe our beef might not look so bad !!!

I have a feeling that Bush would deal that way with us if the shoe was on the other foot !

Comment

coppertop- And some down in the states wouldn't mind seeing the Alberta supply slow up..Many Montana, ND, and Wyoming oilfields have had to slow or stop production because the pipelines are full of Canadian oil.. With no pipeline access the local price has dropped to half what they are paying because of the trucking cost...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.