• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So much for a feed ban

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So much for a feed ban

Mad Cow USA: Tainted Livestock Feed Distributed to Nine U.S. States
    Associated Press, Posted 6/26/2006

COVERING KENTUCKY

Livestock Feed Sent To Kentucky Recalled Over Possible Mad Cow Violation

Washington (AP) -- Livestock feed ingredients shipped to nine states, including Kentucky, may have been contaminated with cattle remains in violation of a 1997 ban to protect against mad cow disease, a manufacturer said Tuesday.

H.J. Baker & Bro. Inc. said it was recalling three livestock feed ingredients, including two used to supplement feed given to dairy cows. A sample tested by the Food and Drug Administration was positive for cattle meat and bone meal, said Mark Hohnbaum, president of the Westport, Conn.-based company's feed products group.

"This is very concerning to us. This isn't something that happens to us. We are very serious about food safety," Hohnbaum said.

Mad cow disease is only known to spread when cows eat feed containing brain and other nerve tissue from infected cattle. Protein from cattle was commonly added to cattle feed to speed growth until the ban largely outlawed the practice.

Cattle tissue may have contaminated two feed ingredients given to dairy cows - Pro-Lak and Pro-Amino II - made by H.J. Baker between August 2005 and June. The third of the recalled ingredients, Pro-Pak with Porcine Meat and Bone, was mislabeled. It is used in poultry feed.

The company announced the recall in the wake of ongoing FDA inspections of its Albertville, Ala. plant, Hohnbaum said. The inspections have found manufacturing and clerical issues, he added.

The company shipped the ingredients to feed manufacturers and dairy farms in the following states: Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi and Tennessee. The company is notifying its customers of the voluntary recall. It does not know how much of the feed ingredients it sold, Hohnbaum said.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

We're in trouble too. We we're silaging yesterday. While I was driving the truck along side the silage cutter header, I saw a wee bird get sucked up through the chopper. So I guess I best call CFIA and have them inspect my feed, so they can condem it. lol

Comment

Hope it wasn't a burrowing owl!!

Comment

Or a crow because now you have the bird flu in the herd.

Comment

If you read willowcreeks post above on the new Canadian feed bans and R-CALFs response to that...you will realize that in their minds they don't have a problem? Just Canada!
          However the fact is bonemeal, bloodmeal etc. were traded freely back and forth across the border? And America has a lower standard for mammalian protein in ruminant feed than Canada does! But then of course...they don't have BSE...they said it and therefore it must be true!LOL
          I sincerely believe the American cattleman just doesn't get it? They seem to think BSE is just a joke and they can bully and BS their way through this thing! And I find that pretty sad and a poor reflection on what kind of man is raising beef in the USA?
          In Canada we are trying to do the right thing to make sure the beef supply is safe? Mandatory RFID tags, age verification, extensive testing etc.? We all know what extra cost and time it takes to do the right thing! I would ask the Canadian beef consumer...is it fair that the USA can ship their garbage up here, when they have taken no safeguards to assure the safety of their product? Maybe its time Canada had a COOL program?

Comment

Cowman- Canada must have piss poor schools- eh...Your reading comprehension is either awful bad or you are blinded in your bias...

If you actually read the news release that R-CALF put out praising Canada's feedban move, you will see that they are also issuing a call for the USDA and FDA to strengthen the US's feedban too...Something they have said from day one- along with continued or even increased testing if that is what is required to rid the country of the problem...

Its AMI/Packers/NCBA/USDA that says there is absolutely no BSE problem and have called for dropping testing- and even reducing the current feedban standards...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...