• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hows your rain?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hows your rain?

Half inch last night, 7/10ths a couple of days ago. Could still use some more, but we'll sure take it!
    There was quite a dry strip in Central Alberta despite lots of spotty rain showers.
    I hear they got a real dump of rain in Brooks Alberta?
    Crops are looking good. Some canola crops are really coming on now that it has rained a bit. Fertilized hay is looking good and pastures are coming along nicely.

8/10ths here since Thursday. Actually, we could use some sunshine now, there is lots of moisture for the moment.

#1 son is having quite a time out in eastern AB, getting rigs moved onto leases. He got rained out on Friday but had to go back to the Hardisty area this AM to check a lease. Lots of activity in that area working over old wells, but of course they don't want to move in rigs when its wet or they risk the wrath of the county and area landowners !!

After 2002 I doubt if any of the locals are complaining about the rain!!

Comment

The road bans came off about a week ago...quite a long spring breakup!
      It is fast and furious out here as the rigs rev up for one of the busiest seasons ever!
      Rained again this morning and still sprinkling.
      Not good for the spraying business, but great for the grass! One hand gives and the other takes away. We were due for a break anyway.

Comment

I've never been quite sure on this road ban deal, I hear plenty about them but don't see much evidence. Well drilling has been going on around me certainly through all of May but I didn't take notice of it in April. Drilling rigs have been on the road regularily and this is not a dry area or one with high quality roads.

Comment

Most municipalities do not ban local roads gravel , only paved local roads and the province is responsible for bans on secondary and primary highways .

Damage done by industry to local gravel roads is likely recouped through a road use or permit system. Any service rig or big rig move within my municipality must have a permit and they are responsible for all road damage, gravelling, grading etc.

Comment

It's the same here in the Hardisty area coppertop. County of Flagstaff makes the rig companies or oil company carry a bond to cover any damage.

Who's your son work for? Might know him. We ranch 5 miles SW of Hardisty.

Comment

Forgot to say, we've had 1.25" since Thursday. Lots of clouds today, real low too, but no rain. Hopefully it'll hold off a couple more days till the neighbour seeds the rest of our grass/alfalfa. Calves have been coming steady, and the cows can't keep up to our grass.

We have a 13acre piece of blowsand right next to our corrals and dugout, that we seeded to Crested Wheat last year. We weren't sure how it would do this spring, so we didn't graze it early, thinking that would give it a better chance to really get established, since it was seeded late last summer.

Well, we had to turn the cows into it yesterday because it's 2.5-3 feet tall, and headed out. If it gets too coarse they won't even touch it, so we locked the whole herd in there. They ought to have it hammered down in a few days, then we'll let it rest for the year. Come mid-April next year it'll be just right for a little pre-calving snack for the girls.

Comment

He is a consultant with Penn West. Now if you happen to have their leases on your place, please don't shoot him because I already have advised him that as the eldest its his duty to look after me in my declining years !!!

Comment

He is a consultant with Penn West. Now if you happen to have their leases on your place, please don't shoot him because I already have advised him that as the eldest its his duty to look after me in my declining years !!!

Comment

Comment

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...