• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ORF

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ORF

Anyone have any suggestions what to do with an ORF sore on a person's wrist? Yup, I got scratched a couple of weeks ago and its developed into a hard and ugly bump on my wrist. Not overly painful, just a nuisance. What I've read is that you just have to let it run its course and fall off.

A neighbour of ours, in the middle of an epidemic of orf in his goats, developed an spot on the back of his hand a few years ago. He put a bandaid on it because it was unsightly and he was getting tired of people noticing it and having to explain that he had caught something from a goat. Now I hope this doesn't scare you but we saw him a few weeks later and he had little bandaids stuck all over. (Hands, lower arms and even a couple on his face) They did all clear up after a month or so.

Comment

Orf is really easy to get rid of, on sheep and on people. Back home we used the purple aerosol spray you can buy for sheep footrot - I think it was a Terramycin spray or oxytertra-something ot other. It makes it itch initially but will get rid of it far quicker than doing nothing.

Comment

Hello Woolybear
        over here we give the lambs orfoyd tablets but humans can't take them
        we also use a spray called bactakill
        and it is a mild solution but by god does it work.

Comment

Also for human use is a cream called Lamisil (Terbinafine hydrochioride) from the Pharmacy

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions. We simply covered it with a clean (and dry) bandage. The outside tape is called Hypafix and its stays on all day even when I was working around water. I found in the early stages that it got kind of serousy if I put any antibiotic cream on it. The sore never got bigger than the scratch that was made from the wire panel.
            Currently now the sore is not really much more looking than a BIG mosquito bite......

Hopefully all these suggestions will help everyone in the future if they have the chance to experience it.

PS....... the mosquitos over here are HUGE Roly, you best pack a few Cricket bats for safe measure.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.