• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hows your moisture?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hows your moisture?

We started the year off pretty good with lots of subsoil moisture. Then it got dry and that damned wind kept blowing every day! You pay a lot of attention to the wind when spraying is your bread and butter! Paying sprayers to sit on their ass is always fun!
    In the last week we got a couple of decent rain showers... probably in that one inch total! We own land just twelve miles east and I doubt it got one quarter of an inch!
    The grass at home is growing well and the crops are all up and doing fine. We need more rain but have probably bought ourselves a couple of weeks?
    To the east of us it is getting bad and they really need some rain! Just wondering how others are doing?

3" of rain here in the last week. am growing webbed feet !!! The pastures are growing like crazy and I cannot begin to keep up to my 2 acres of lawn ! Have been trying to get my plants out but it has to be between showers thats for sure.

Comment

Coppertop: All I can say to you is this: ENJOY IT! You can never get enough rain...in my honest opinion!
      Having lived through the 2002 drought...I swear I will never complain about too much moisture! The drought of 2002 was definitely an "aha" moment for me!
      On a side note: The best time to transplant plants is in a rainy wet period....cowboy up and get those tomatoes in!...someday I'm going to write a column on planting tomatoes and herbs...and not to be modest or anything...I am a bloody expert...who would put most "experts" to shame!!!!

Comment

We have had an inch and a half of rain in the last four days, and it is really wet. It has been really wet here all spring. We have had trouble finding a field that is dry enough to seed all spring so have been moving around lots not seeding out a specific area and moving to another like usual. My hired man got the air drill stuck the other day and it took us all afternoon with two four wheel drives and a track hoe to get out in one piece. It scares me when you start pulling out something that heavy when it is down in the mud. The hired man is not with me anymore couldn't take the pressure. And I am not complaining about the wet yet anyway, there is lots more dry days the wet in our country.

Comment

GEEZ, cowman, you learn something new every day. I had not pictured you as a tomato and herb grower. What's your poison as far as tomato varieties are concerned ?
          And what sort of herbs....hopefully nothing that is illegal !!!!

Comment

NE of Calgary could still use more yet. Moisture was good at seeding, but lost most of it during seeding. Grass is looking for more.

I agree with cowman, I will never again say it is too wet after the droughts we have seen in this area.

Comment

West of Rimbey we've had 1.25 inches in May but I would say lack of heat is limiting us more than moisture - the last three days or so has really slowed the grass. We live in a cold, late valley though - our lilacs are only budding now where they have been in full bloom not many miles away in earlier spots.

Comment

1.25 in barrhead west area but sure is patchy some got a lot more was way to hot before now too cold .

Comment

Alternated between pouring and sunshine this afternoon. As long as it doesn't freeze I am not complaining. Supposed to be warming up next week. Lots of cattle moving out to pastures now, liners on the road all the time. Haven't turned the bull out yet, this is the lates that I have waited to get him out to work. Actually he is in with the heifers so that keeps him occupied.

Comment

We had 4" in the last 10 days, got on the land again yesterday. Hail and some blowing snow last weekend and it's supposed to hit 31 Monday. I'm kind of glad we didn't get our soybeans in before the rain, most who did are expecting to have to replant because they rotted in the ground.

Comment

We got these little sprinkles yesterday and it was cool all day. Cloudy this morning.
                      Tomatoe of choice: Early girl, without a doubt. Also grow some Tiny Tims and a few beefsteak tomatoes. Mostly grow oregano and many varieties of basil.
                      My spouse is an avid gardener.

Comment

poured again last night around 9:00, frost on the windshield this AM but doesn't look like it hurt the plants, they still have drops of water on the leaves.

I have grown oregano and rosemary. Like the rosemary for the fragrance.

Comment

Were WET WET WET. Started out wet in april then not bad for 4 weeks so got 90% seeded but the last two sections are going to drive me nuts.
                          stuck only 4 times good flaman tow rope. last week we will be at over 100mm or 4 inches.
                          still not complaining about rain.
                          never will just part of farming.

Comment

Moisture varies in this area, but as of today it is wet everywhere. I finished sunday morning at 5 a.m. The last 120 ac took us 3 1/2 days. Anywhere from 1" to over 3" within 20 miles of here. Some guys are only 2/3 done out west of Batlleford. This area had excessive rain last fall. Some reseeding may have to happen in canola due to heavy downpours last week. Hope everone gets done by the end of this week, good luck.

Comment

South of Saskatoon-- guys are still giving it H--- here trying to get finished when weather permits. We have 450 acres yet on heavy clay soil. Lots of fun. Better playing in mud than blowing dirt.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...