• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sheep gate

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sheep gate

I am trying to figure out how to let my sheep back into a pen area at night without having to open the gate for them. They go out every morning and back where they belong at night so it can be permanently open to sheep but still has to keep cows in. (Sheep are really much smarter than cows in some ways)Any ideas?

Do I understand this right? The sheep, and the cattle share the same pen at night? You want the cows to stay there, and the sheep go to another paddock during the day and back at night? If this is the case, then how about something like a creep panel, or a 1/2 gate like an old barn door. The top part would stay closed and keep the cows in, but the bottom would swing and the sheep would go underneath. I know a couple of our sheep could go under a bar about 12" above ground! Then again I have a cow that would go over one thats 4'!

Comment

Actually the sheep go in at night and the cows stay out on pasture. The sheep pen isn't cow proof so I need to keep the cows out of there. I have quite a few cows (and a few 'bad' sheep as well) that will go over the 32" sheep fence, not too mention the mess they would make as it is all set up with my sheep stuff and it isn't designed to resist cows scratching etc.
      I think I can use your barn door idea with an existing rail gate by making the bottom rail or two removable.
      Thanks!

Comment

I wonder if something like a "doggie door" would work where the sheep could go FIELD to PEN, but not reverse. That way you would have to let them out, OR you could tie it up if you didn't need to catch them. You would have to make it about "3 Sheep abreast wide" as you know how they try to go through a gate in a hurry.

I've been thinking about this same situation (except no cows in this pasture) so its just sort of been floating around in my head for a while.

Comment

I tried the 'doggie door idea' with two lengths of 12' pvc type pipe wired onto the bottom of a 10' gate with stiff wire and just sort of hanging free. they go under it just fine and coming the other way they push and it hits the side of the gate and won't move and they just stand there looking confused and then wander off again. It has been two days and it works like a charm so far.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.