• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coalbed Methane

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coalbed Methane

The following document has been posted to the Government of Alberta website.

----------------------------------
    News Release

May 11, 2006

Report provides blueprint for responsible coalbed methane development

Edmonton... The Government of Alberta has accepted an advisory committee's final report as a blueprint for future coalbed methane development in the province. The multi-stakeholder advisory committee has submitted 44 recommendations focusing on water, surface and air impacts, royalties, tenure, industry best practices and broad energy sector issues.

An action plan is in place and work has begun, or will begin in this fiscal year on 32 of the 44 recommendations. No action is being taken on two recommendations relating to royalty and tax adjustments. Work on the remaining ten recommendations is scheduled to begin after 2006-07.

"Alberta already has one of the strongest regulatory frameworks in the world for natural gas development and the recommendations within the final report strengthen what is already in place," said Greg Melchin, Minister of Energy. "These recommendations enable Alberta to continue the responsible development of this natural gas resource, which holds such great promise for the future."

One-third of the report's recommendations focus on water, including protecting aquifers and water supplies. Recommendations range from mandatory baseline water-well testing, improving scientific information on Alberta's water resources and developing new technology to take advantage of saline and marginally saline-produced water.

"A safe, secure drinking water supply is a priority for this government, as identified in Alberta's Water for Life strategy," said Alberta Environment Minister Guy Boutilier. "The recently announced baseline testing standard, which was a report recommendation, is a practical example of Alberta's commitment to environmental protection while responsibly developing coalbed methane."

"Alberta supports responsible energy development and government is committed to the principles in this document related to integrated land management to help minimize the cumulative effects of industrial growth," said David Coutts, Minister of Sustainable Resource Development. Three recommendations from the final report focus on impacts on the land.

Over 1,000 Albertans participated in the advisory committee's consultation over the past two years. This included participation at information sessions in eight communities and providing feedback on the group's preliminary findings document, which was released last summer. Over the next year, the committee will continue to meet and monitor the action plan.

For more information on the committee's final report, or to download a copy, visit the Alberta Energy website at www.energy.gov.ab.ca.

Now I believe this whole thing is rather a red herring, designed to feel good...but not much meat in the pot?
    The fact is just about any company would test up to 1 kilometer if you requested it? I doubt hardly anyone did?
    These coalbed companies have really cleaned up their act since they first came in.
    The EUB has taken a lot of heat lately(a lot deserved!), so here we have a sugar coated response! I doubt much will change in reality?
    I kind of get a kick out of some of these "protesters" spouting facts and figures...when they really have no clue whatsoever! There was an article in one of the local papers, where the interviewee was deploring Ecanas mixing untreated dugout water for drilling mud! He said it might contaminate the aquifier and really ripped the coalbed company! Now come on...every well in the country since Turner Valley was drilled with dugout water...including a lot out of hog lagoons! Now the interviewee knew this very well...but then he has a stake here...representing farmers in negotiations is his bread and butter!
    The synergy group I was being appointed to is on hold (or maybe scrapped) because the local surface rights group put up such a stink about the municipality trying to set up a group that might undermine their credibility! What credibility???? A bunch of rabble rousers who don't understand the industry?
    Everyone should be very clear on this: Those coalbed wells are going to be drilled...come hell or high water! And yes the density will probably equal 36 wells per section! If you find that a bitter pill to swallow...then the government gave you a little sugar today!
    I actually find that by placating the rabble the government was able to avoid the more important questions of royalties and just compensation for the landowner? The "enviros" screwed us out of some money here.
    Just my opinion.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...