• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manure!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manure!

The local hog farmer decided last week would be a good time to pollute the country! Now being an environmental type he believes in no till so we all got the benifit of the stink!
    I don't know about you but I sure wonder how come the oil company has to give you a notice of when they are flaring and the EUB has a air quality truck out...and then this totally gross pig manure stink is no problem!
    Now I'm not some sort of city slicker who just moved out to the farm, but I sure gag with the best of them when they spread this hog manure! I sure am glad they don't allow any more pig barns around here. Just my opinion.

cowman the hog farmer is required under the Agricultural Operations Practices Act to either inject or incorporate the manure within 48 hours and if he is not doing so he is at risk of receiving an enforcement order which if he violates could shut him down.

Comment

I don't know cowman, but I heard a fellow tell me that his cattle feeders didn't stink........ Well don't believe anyone when they say their shit doesn't stink, because its likely going to be the worst!

Comment

the opposition to large scale hog operations is growing. More and more municipalities are amending their municipal development plans to place large buffers around urban centres, hamlets, community halls, parks etc. where confined feeding operations are not an appropriate land use. The only problem with that is that when an operator applies to the NRCB to construct a new or expand an existing operation the municipality may be forced to spend vast sums on legal costs etc. to defend their municipal development plan in an NRCB hearing, and even then the NRCB Panel may over ride the Municipal Plan and allow the application to proceed.

Technology to build biodigesters at a reasonable cost in every operation would alleviate the odor problem and the public concern at the same time.

Comment

Controversy over proposed hog barns heats up

by Natasha Botha
          Tuesday May 02, 2006

Fairview Post — Over 200 ratepayers packed the Dave Shaw Arena for the annual Clear Hills County ratepayers’ meeting -- most of whom came to show their opposition against the proposed development of a confined feeding operation (CFO) for hogs in the area.
          If approved, the operation will have 21 barns housing 57,000 feeders, 6,000 sows and 24,000 weaners. It will produce 150,000 finished hogs per year and create 57 permanent jobs in the area. A central feed mill will be created and a capital investment of $35 million will be needed.
          A meeting in Cherry Point was held on April 26 and a delegation about the issue was brought to the Clear Hills County council meeting that same day by the opposition. Before the ratepayers’ meeting, Grant Mann, president of Peace Country Pork Management, Norm Janssen of Alberta Agriculture, Food and Development and Phil Mueller, vice chair of Alberta Pork were on hand to answer questions. That event, which was planned to be an individual question and answer period for concerned ratepayers, turned into a full-blown meeting of its own.
          “There are a few more people here than we had expected,” Mann told the crowd at the meeting’s beginning. “We are here to talk to you and to provide information.”
          Members of the crowd told the speakers many times that they were beating around the bush and not answering their questions. Attendees complained they were emphasizing the wrong aspects of their complaints.
          “You keep emphasizing the jobs,” Audrey Svederus told the speakers. “Right now I doubt you could find people to fill that. No one should come into a place and start an operation that causes other people to leave. That is morally wrong and those people should be ostracized.”
          Councillors Marlene Maxwell, Bill Moedt, Frances Davis, Pete Nykolyshyn and deputy reeve, Jake Klassen were on hand at the ratepayers’ meeting afterwards to address questions.
          Those opposed brought up many concerns including odour, health and environmental issues.
          “We don’t want anymore discussions or anymore meetings about these hog barns,” said Ike Peters who got a standing ovation after his comments. “Let’s kick ass. You started it, now you finish it.”
          After the meeting Klassen said that he was very impressed with the turnout and that the opposition did have an effect on council’s position on the issue.
          “We didn’t know there was quite this much concern out there,” said Klassen. “There are councillors that have now changed their mind and their opinion about this issue. We got into this and didn’t have a clue as to how bad these operations can be. If the majority of ratepayers don’t want it, nobody will be putting up a hog barn.”
          When asked if councillor Mike Radzick -- who has an application in for a hog barn on his property -- was in a conflict of interest, Klassen noted that Radzick has recused himself from any voting on the issue.
          Radzick did, however, sit in on the Tuesday council meeting and make comments regarding the delegation given to council by those opposing the barn.
          Klassen said that, without a doubt, the voice of the ratepayers’ has been heard loud and clear.
          “We are definitely listening to our ratepayers,” said Klassen. “A special council meeting has been planned for May 2. We are going to take these concerns very seriously.”

back

Comment

cowman: Most of the farmers around here don't give a s**t about enforcement of rules regarding incorporation of manure into the soil. One particularly miserable bastard spreads his feedlot manure across from his neighbours house 'on purpose' because he knows that he can get away with it.

It all depends on attitude whether things are done correctly. If you don't give a hoot about your neighbours, then these things will re-occur year after year.

Comment

Have the neighbours complained to the NRCB ? If the fellow is not incorporating the manure within 48 hours he is liable to receive an enforcement order.

The problem at this time is that the NRCB are NOT monitoring conditions on the old Municipal Development Permits unless they receive a complaint.

Comment

coppertop: The neighbour is too chicken to report the s**t spreader fearing reprocussions in the future. These things get around.

The families have lived in the area for 80 years. Personally, I would report the turkey in the blink of an eyelash.

Comment

I know how these things evolve !! We have an individual in our community that runs his operation on the very edge of what the legislation requires. He intimidates anyone who complains, even the local county staff, so none of the neighbours will say anything regardless of how much he pounds the roads etc.
                  I always think that what goes around comes around sooner or later.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...