• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm sales

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm sales

Two farm sales in my area that I noted. One a fairly young guy around forty the other two brothers I would guess in their thirties. The one guy had about 180 cows the two brothers 400 cows. Two farms of what would be considered young cattlemen around here?
    Now I know the rumors were going around about the one guy having some marriage problems but I don't know about the two brothers. Seems they ran a pretty good operation and they never were cheap when buying bulls!
    Somehow when I see these type of auctions, I get this funny feeling that we are seeing the end of something? Maybe a way of life?
    Anyway three more guys who won't be sitting in the auction mart this fall. It's starting to get lonely in there.

two large sales here so far this spring. One fellow in his 60's that has an illness that has made selling the farm a must. He ran about 150 cows, they sold at the auction market, and the farm sale was two weeks ago.

The other is a couple in their early 60's. Sold the cattle at the auction market last week and the farm auction is in a couple of weeks. They sold farmstead and three other quarters and kept a quarter where they are building a new house and shop. They have worked very hard and want to take life easy for their remaining 'good' years.

Comment

Auction sales are not the end of anything just a passing of the torch from one producer to another.

I assume someone bought the land and it will still be producing, not going into subdivisions or housing.

Sitting in the auction is something I seldom have time to do anyway. I do try to get to a couple of farm sales but find the people with the off farm jobs are outbidding me on the equipment I want.

Comment

one of the farms that has sold here will be developed into multiparcel subdivisions eventually, which is not unreasonable since it is three miles from town.

The other is out in the countryside and will likely remain a working farming operation.

Comment

How has machinery been selling this year. Any bargains?

Comment

I have not seen very many bargains at the sales , I have been attending.

A lot of the cattle I have seen sell has been near new price.

Comment

I meant to say that a lot of the cattle related equipment sold for damm near new price

Comment

at some recent sales, portable panels have sold for more than they do from the manufacturer !!

Comment

Further on these sales: I heard that the two brothers crashed and the bank basically gave them the word to sell before they moved in! I guess they just came to the end of the line? Probably if BSE hadn't come along they would have made it?
                  Anyway I guess they are walking away and not all that sad about it. They bought a welding truck and are off to the oil patch!
                  Now I thought these boys were doing well but I guess you just never know? One day the banker comes calling and the next day the "For Sale" sign goes up.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...