• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTO Talks

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTO Talks

May 2, 2006

Horner pushes Alberta's WTO agenda forward

Meetings in Geneva, London and Brussels build strong relations

Edmonton... The world's trading powers are well aware of Alberta's position on critical upcoming trade talks after Doug Horner, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, pushed forward Alberta's agriculture agenda in London, Brussels and Geneva.

"Our priority was to ensure the key negotiators and ambassadors of Canada's global partners are fully aware of Alberta's position in agriculture as well as other areas such as services and non-agricultural market access," said Horner, following his trade mission of April 24 to May 1. "I emphasized this current round of World Trade Organization (WTO) negotiations is an opportunity we can't let slip between our fingers because of political posturing."

Alberta is pressing for increased market access for all products, elimination of export subsidies and substantial reductions in trade-distorting domestic subsidies. Horner met with WTO negotiators and Ambassadors from Canada, the United States, the EU, Japan, Mexico, Korea, China, India, New Zealand, Australia, and Malaysia to make Alberta's position clear and impress upon the negotiators the need for an aggressive pro-trade outcome. He also stressed the province's position that state trading enterprises with monopoly powers distort international trade markets.

Countries have agreed to push forward with intense talks over the next six weeks to clarify the rules surrounding this round of negotiations. Once completed, it is expected that Ministers will be asked to meet to make the crucial decisions necessary to conclude an agreement.

Horner was accompanied by a strong contingent of Alberta industry representatives, all of whom recognized the Canadian government's continued efforts in moving towards a successful conclusion to WTO talks.

In addition to WTO discussions, Horner met with numerous European Union (EU) representatives in Brussels to discuss the EU approach to trade. As well, meetings in London explored opportunities for increased investment in areas such as beef processing plants and the biofuel industry.

Well London, Brussels and Geneva are nice this time of year.

I have a problem with provincial governments interfering in federal matters. Canada should be represented by Canada. I stand to be corrected by I do not see in the press where U.S. states participate in the WTO talks. If Alberta wanted to lobby for a given position they should have done it at home.

"Horner was accompanied by a strong contingent of Alberta industry representatives" …all of whom got trip out of the deal too. And all of whom would have agreed with the Alberta position or they would not be there.

Are we to imagine a WTO talks where Alberta is lobbying the EU, Japan and Malaysia for one thing and Quebec is lobbying for something else from Mexico, Korea, China and the Maritimes are lobbying India, New Zealand, Australia for whatever will appeal to their provincial electorate. It weakens Canada’s influence as a nation in these talks.

There is lots of issues right here at home that Horner could deal with but chooses not to.

Comment

Agreed farmers_son, Why Horner and Co are there is beyond me, as are their aims. Seeking "an aggressive pro-trade outcome" means what? making it easier to strengthen the transnational corporations monopolies in moving food around the world. Won't help producers one bit. The Europeans will simply move more of their subsidies into "blue boxes" anyway. But he'll be happy to p@#$ away the supply managed sectors to help his corporate sponsors.

Comment

...i got a kick out of the deputy ag minister this morning...we in alberta are going to make it so our producers will be able to compete in a free market place... i did not realise we were such a major player...

Comment

grassfarmer, absolutely right. Maybe even worse than Horner being there is that he was accompanied by "industry representatives" which I assume means our industry leaders on the gravy train and selling us down the river once again. Is there no-one in the bunch representing us who feels any bond at all with the cow-calf guy in this province?

kpb

Comment

That is the exact reason I posted the information.

Which industry executives accompanied the Minister ?

My bet is it was representatives of Alberta Pork, Alberta Beef Producers and likely Alberta Milk and the Feathers group.

Usually there is a cost figure for the trip attatched to the press release but this time I did not notice one.

I would suspect that some ministers feel they need to get all their travelling completed before the leadership convention because they may not be ministers afterward !!

Comment

Barley is there too I believe, I hope Doug finds the free trade free enterprise open market land he is looking for in his travels. I think it's over in the south pacific near New Zealand.
              That aside the groups are just reacting to what they see from other countries, and making sure the federal negotiators don't slip up. Canola made the mistake of not being present at the last round and really got ran over because of it.

Comment

I wonder how the Alberta Milk reps get on with Horner and crew? I'm thinking they back the retention of supply management? Read a report recently on the US vs Canadian retail milk prices. Price surveys taken in border towns across the country show US consumers pay 23% more for their milk than Canadians. So much for the theory that doing away with supply management would reduce the price of milk. That'll be kind of like the Wheat board if we ever get rid of it. Producers get lower prices, consumers pay higher and the middlemen reap huge profits.

Comment

Alberta Milk, Alberta Pork, ABP, the Feathers group all make up the umbrella group : Intensive Livestock Working Group, and they have the EAR of the minister !!!

Comment

Again I would ask how does that work? Does Alberta Milk not work for dairy producers and support supply management? Or is it a puppet organisation like ABP is for beef producers? ABP actively lobby to remove supply management in the dairy sector and the wheat board in the grain sector - I can't see what they would have in common with Alberta Milk assuming it actually represents dairy producers interests.

Comment

Actually grassfarmer a dairyfarmer by the name of Reints Palsma is the chairman of the Intensive Livestock Working Group.

APB has a rep at the table and they are a huge lobby for things that they feel affect the livestock industry.

There are many bureaucrats in AAFRD that jump when the ILWG raises their collective voice.

They are currently considered the key stakeholder in many consultations, particulary the regulations governing the livestock industry.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...