• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal government support for farmers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Federal government support for farmers

Just wanted to see if others have the same impression of the federal government's support for farmers. What bothers me is not so much that there is so little support but that they continue to portray that they care and are doing everything they possibly can. All the flowery speeches by our federal minister of agriculture and all his attacks on trade policies of foreign countries may make him feel good but in the end will likely mean nothing to our bottom line. Now, if we could only get the federal government to share their deaf ears, we at least wouldn't have to listen to all the crap that comes across on the farm broadcasts.

I agree that our politicians are trying to give the impression that they are doing their best, but doubt if they have any motive other than to convince the urban dwellers that farmers are getting all the help they need. We need to do some investigating of global prices for the inputs we purchase, then compare those to the "subsidized" prices we as farmers pay for Canadian products. We could then suggest to the urban dwellers who believe they "earn" their wages that they return some of those subsidies we pay them directly at the cash register every time we buy Canadian products. We are told we must compete in a global marketplace, but why is labour, etc., etc., completely insulated from that pricing scheme? The Farmers of North America organization (www.fna.ca) just may give farmers the priviledge of pricing some inputs closer to real global values. I'm not a member yet, but seriously think this may be the answer.

Comment

Well if you are looking to the government to run your business, you can bet they will take "ALL" the credit for what is right and ensure that you end up with all the crap that is wrong with our present infrastructure. I happen to believe in "SOME" organized structure! However, given the fact that the structures, associations, government, (local, provincial and federal) have been missing the marks more these days then hitting and addressing the needs of our industry, kinda makes ya think we best be looking after our own business and let them run in their own tight little secret circles.

Since the mid 70,s I have been working with selected individuals with a true interest in the progression of the industry. These individuals have been and continue to be a great help in my on going effort and vision that each individual is responsible for their own business, yet should use the systems to better themselves, which helps their business, which helps the industry! (Thanks Ted for getting me started with our "How to safely do your own Farm kill and processing course in Ponoka, Alberta 1977) Since then my goal has been to assist the agri-community in building strength through the grass roots!

Global business and advanced technology and business design structures can make it possible for "You" as an individual to meet all the legal requirements impossed upon you in our accepted (roll over and wet on yourself) dictitorial fashion (like it or not) and grab some opportunities to catapult you and your operation ahead of any of these "I know what is better for you then you do groups". It is my belief that if you know this to be true (or even wish this to be true, then you will get involved in helping to develop the system that will work for you!

Feel free to visit my web site that offers a general over view of my vision (which has been growing and changing as individuals add their thoughts, needs and desires into the vision) and ad your thoughts needs and desires. This web site is not selling anything, it is sharing ideas, you want to share great you want to get involved great. You want to tell me I am full of it great. Here is the chance. My website address is ;

http://valuechain.homestead.com/index.html

and my e mail is valuechain@home.com

Your thoughts?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.