• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alfalfa Grazing 600# steers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alfalfa Grazing 600# steers

What works out the best and most economical to prevent bloat. CRC boluses or bovatec in salt. Should a guy use the bovatec in trace mineral salt or in one stop mineral.

For the simple answer that the one that reduces the deathloss due to bloat is the most economical. Now for a more real solution. I have not seen much published data comparing the two products head to head. From what I have heard from some producers that are grazing alfalfa is teh key is a whole management package, including alternate forage, straw available to eat, a response plan for a bloat storm, and go slow and easy if you are just starting to graze alfalfa. If you are going to use one of these bloat "reduction" products you still need to manage the alfalfa and grazing activity carefully. As far as adding it to the mineral or salt, I don't think it much matters the key is to have each animal consume the recommended dose. So if you animals are eating good amounts of salt and the "all" seem to be getting some put it in the salt, if they are eating mineral then put it into the mineral. What ever you can get the animals to consume. Most grazing animals could stand a dose of mineral even on pasture, that includes cows, heifers, bulls and even feeder animals. We normally recommend that mineral be available or fed year round. The choice and requirements for that mineral change from season to season, but having it available is well worth the investment.

Comment

In response to the boluses vs. bovatec in salt the issue about getting the required amount into the animals EACH DAY is the most important fact if you are to use any of these products. A study done in feedlot conditions with free choice access to minerals showed that individual animals did receive the total required amount of the salt and mineral but some ate so much at one time that they did not need any more for several days. The point being that unless you are sure that the additive is being consumed in the proper portion each day any possible benefit is lost.The other side of the equation is that there is no magic bullet to prevent bloat as management is the best way to control it with many of the things Jeff has mentioned.

Comment

In response to which works best you have to ensure that the animal is getting the additive each day to make it effective. a study was done under feedlot conditions where cattle had free choice access to salt and mineral. What they found was that the daily intake range was from 0 to several days worth with each animal over the test period consuming the right total by the end. if you cannot ensure that each animal is getting the required amount each day then using any ionophore is not effective.The other part of this grazing alfalfa is that there is no magic bullet to stop bloat . Jeff's comments on the whole management package is right on the money.

Comment

Thank you Jeff & Mark for your response to my question about grazing alfalfa.

Comment

Hi Dan I have worked with the CRC boluses for a number of years now as the representative for that product. Jeff and Dan are accurate when saying that daily dose is most important when using any ionophore, which is the class of compounds that Bovatec and Rumensin fall into. From a purely bloat standpoint, Bovatec has no claim for alfalfa bloat. Managing the risk is the key to preventing bloat on alfalfa. Here are a few things other producers do to help manage the risk; careful observation especially early in the morning or after turnout, watch closely after a frost, have a contingency plan if you do encounter a bloat storm ie have a grass pasture available try and keep the ration as consistent as possible if you are rotating through pastures - use bloat preventative products that have been proven to work. If you or any others want more info then e-mail me and I will be hapy to forward you more experiences from other alfalfa graziers. Regards Bob Ehr Lacombe,Ab.

Comment

There is an article in the newspaper office just published June 16, 1999 called Newsletter. In this newsletter there is an article called Steps Toward Bloat-Safe Grazing of Alfalfa: Keys to Maximizing Gains of Backgrounding Cattle and Cow-Calf Pairs on Pasture <b> http://www.agri-ville.com/newspaper/index.htm <b> Hope this adds some additional insight. <B> Regards, <b> Jory Lamb

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.