• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

echinacea

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

echinacea

I've lately been investigating the growing of echinacea angustifolia. Much of the information I have gathered has been in the area of planting maintaining and harvesting. Also possible disease problems. My problem right now tends to be getting a realistic worth of the roots at harvest. The prices I have been given vary widely. What do you think is a realistic price per pound of root? Thanks for the help!

Your observation that the price of root is great variation is correct. Some of the buyers are currently offering $US 30-35/lb of dry root. However, and this is a BIG however, I predict the the price of root will be 1/3-1/2 of that price within two years, possibly sooner. We have MILLIONS of plants in the ground in Alberta, with more being put in this year. Much of thoat potential production will be abandoned when people realize how hard it is to keep echinacea weed-free, but the rest of the prairies and other parts of North America and the world (Australia, New Zealand) are also chasign this market. I would be interested to hear other views on where echinacea price might go in the future. If you want a full package of info on echinacea production, and some economics, please call 780-422-1789. Stan

Comment

If you sell small quantities of echinacea root you may get higher prices. At the farmer's market, for instance, you could ask $3/ounce($48/lb) or more depending on your packaging and marketing ability. You could sell those nicely packaged ounces to a health food store in your neighbourhood for about 2 - 2.50 maybe & they would sell them for 4 - 5$. And so on You could also sell the leaves, flowers, petals, and seeds, even ornamental seed heads eventually so this would make you some more income. However, Dr. Stan is right, there's lots of echinaceae already growing. Try feverfew, valerian, st. john's wort. there's many more new ones to try out. Also consider culinary herbs fro drying. Some of these are easy to grow and demand is high. there's more information on our website at www.grower.com. Look inside Grower Direct for Blooming Prairie. He is hosting our information site. I will be teaching a class coming at NAIT next weekend June 12, & 13. All about medicinal and culinary herbs - cultivated and wildcrafted. We will talk aboutgrowing, harvesting, processing and marketing. In the lab part of the class we'll make some herbal preparations. tinctures. etc. To register call NAIT at 471 6248 fax 471 8490 email registrar@nait.ab.ca. course #ses318. Or call me Katie for more information 780 431 1451 email blooming@oanet.com. I will post our other events on the Agri-ville calendar. Katie Benschop, P. Ag. Blooming Prairie

Comment

I think a person has to determine how much money they wish to make. If they only want to make a few hundred dollars to a few thousand, then working farmers markets may be the way to go. In fact, they are an excellent venue to test market products. I am a firm believer in finding a market before investing a lot of capital into an operation. Especially if this is what you want to do to earn a living.

Comment

Please send me the package on Echinacea production. Rick Ennis Box 216, Radway, Ab. T0A 2V0 Thank you. The price of Echinacea is a hard one to imagine. Saw the Country Calendar production and it was noted that a Prince Albert, Sask producer was getting $50.00 per lb and that echinacea can produce 1200 lbs. per acre. One wonders what the demand is...Rick

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.