• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eastern bigotry

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eastern bigotry

Quote:
    Thursday, March 02, 2006

Getting a piece of Ralph's booty
    ERIC REGULY
    Globe and Mail

Ralph Klein has a lot of money. The rest of us don't, for the simple reason that so many deadbeat provinces aren't sitting on billions of dead dinosaurs who had the courtesy to turn into a subterranean ocean of oil and gas. Today's question, boys and girls, is how the rest of Canada can extract some of the riches from Alberta without the undeserving bastards noticing. Or noticing and not squawking about it.

The Kingdom of Klein presents a tempting target for looters. On Monday, the province revealed it will have a 2005-06 revenue surplus of $7.4-billion. That's slightly more than the federal government's surplus and more than the operating budgets of some of the lesser provinces.

The Alberta surplus figure does not include the $1.3-billion spent on the $400 rebate cheques for every Alberta resident and a few other expenditures. Include those bits and the true figure would be closer to $10-billion. If oil and natural gas prices stay high, the next surplus could be sufficient to buy every Albertan a timeshare in a ski chalet.

His Ralphness could make things easy for himself by writing a $1-billion cheque for each of the other provinces. The simple gesture would save Confederation and land his mug on the next $20 bill, festooned with images of oil rigs. The chances of that happening are roughly equivalent to the planet exchanging orbit with Pluto before sundown.

Still, be optimistic. Canada has a long and glorious history of taking from the rich to subsidize the poor. It's called nation building. Here are some suggestions.

Wallop the oil industry with taxes: If you don't like paying taxes, and want to make a lot of money, the oil industry has your name written all over it. Corporate tax rates for the resource players have been falling and will reach 21 per cent next year. Exploration and development expenses, right down to building temporary access roads, are deductible against taxes. Royalties are 100 per cent deductible. Oil sands projects benefit from accelerated capital cost allowances and pay a mere 1-per-cent royalty rate until the project produces a profit.

And so on. The oil and gas industry makes billions of dollars a year. If you believe the cheap energy era is over, they will keep making billions. If these companies paid more taxes, or had fewer tax writeoffs, the feds would have more money to launder to the have-not provinces. The oil companies would moan and threaten to invest elsewhere. There is no elsewhere. There is only the oil sands, which the Alberta marketing brochures tout as Saudi Arabia North.

Imitate Iraq: The constitution of the war-ravaged country proposes to divide oil revenues on a per-capita basis. If it flies, all of Iraq's regions, even the ones devoid of oil wells, will get a share of the wealth. Queen's University Professor Tom Courchene has floated the idea of spreading Alberta's royalty bucks among the provinces. Great, doomed idea.

Make Alberta feel guilty about its Kyoto freebie: Shock! The new Tory government seems to be getting all warm and fuzzy about the Kyoto climate change accord. This should make Alberta nervous, because the oil sands are turning into a carbon dioxide factory of epic proportions. Deficit-plagued Ontario could use this to its advantage.

Ontario has closed one big coal-burning electricity plant and wants to mothball the rest (they produce up to a quarter of the province's juice). The smelly old beasts are one of the biggest single sources of national carbon dioxide emissions. Replacing them with Kyoto-friendly gas-fired plants will cost billions, which Ontario doesn't have.

Here's the pitch. If Ontario emits less carbon dioxide, Alberta's oil sands can emit more. In exchange, Alberta does something nice for Ontario, like buying carbon credits from Ontario or financing the construction of a transmission line that would deliver renewable hydro from Manitoba. Problem is, Alberta doesn't do nice.

Make the Heritage Fund go global: Norway's version of the Alberta Heritage Fund invests almost all of its $190-billion (U.S.) fortune outside the county. The $13.6-billion (Canadian) Alberta fund should consider doing the same.

How would that help the rest of Canada? Taking one of the biggest funds out of domestic competition would remove some of the upward pressure on the value of assets, such as real estate. This would make Quebec's Caisse de dépôt and the Ontario Teachers funds happier. Plus, they'd get a kick watching Alberta squander billions on sub-Saharan gold mining plays.

Give up and wish Alberta the worst: Alberta is an oil economy, right? Not so. It's mostly about gas. In fact, gas royalty revenue is almost four times greater than oil royalty revenue. Alberta's gas production peaked in 2001. At the current rate of production, proven (though not theoretical) reserves will last a mere nine years. So let Alberta enjoy its fat surplus. In time, it will be poor again and seek money from the rest of Canada. Canada will know what to say.

I hope Mr. ERIC REGULY from the Globe and Mail had his tongue in his cheek. He said “Problem is, Alberta doesn't do nice”. Maybe he doesn’t realize that Alberta already contributes more than $10 billion to the rest of Canada than it receives back in government services? At the end of his little diatribe he has the audacity to threaten that if we ever run out of resource revenue and are in need, we shouldn’t expect anything back from the rest of Canada. So our $10 billion dollars per year isn’t even buying us recognition, let alone any kind of thanks, or investment in goodwill for the future?

Reguly says Alberta should be investing the Heritage fund outside Canada, because this will help the country. This will help the country?? Sending money out of the country helps Canada?? Just like he’s trying to help Alberta by taking more money out of our province. And maybe oil and gas has nothing to do with it, Alberta is rich because we give so much money away! Globe and Mail economics 101?

April 1st is missing its fool.

Comment

Quebec is the biggest recipient of so called "federal" (really Alberta) money.

Why is it then that the premier of Quebec is blessed with a salary $35,000.00 greater that that of premier Kleins??

I also note that Saskatchewan's premier recieves over $9000.00 more than the premier of B.C.!!

Comment

I gdree with 2 points
        the oil business does not pay as much as it should in taxes.
        2 Without the oil revenue we are dead in the water because all these high priced workers and companys wont work without the $mill jobs so we lose oil revenue plus income tax from the over paid oil workers and we have pretty well gave away the timber and that just leaves agri and we all know how much more we can contribute.

Comment

Horse you old commie...your grasp of economics, wealth creation is saddly lacking. Your disdain for anyone who makes more money than you makes your opinions laughable.

Read this real slow...

"Please listen very carefully because few Albertans understand this right now. This should make you angry or, at the very least, make you ask "Why?". In 2004, the net transfer of money from Alberta to Ottawa was 9.3 billion dollars. That same year, the total oil and gas royalties from all sectors to Alberta was 8.4 billion dollars. Simply put, Alberta gave Ottawa ALL our oil and gas royalties and another 900 million dollars to be Canadian with no return on investment."

But...but according to Horse Alberta,s wealth can only be attributed to oil and gas, what nonsense!!

Comment

Well I doubt the Globe and Mail guy is serious? But we can always hope he is!
            I think if the feds ever tried another NEP grab...that would be the ballgame!
            Now I have no doubt central Canada is licking their lips with envy and trying to figure out how they can rip off the money but hopefully old Ralph isn't going to cave in and let them! This is one of the reasons we need a leader who will stand up for Albertas rights and not take their marching orders from some Quebec or Ontario primeminister! This is why the Liberals and NDP have no place in Alberta!
            The absolute gall of these eastern pundits suggesting "it is all of our oil and gas"? No it isn't! It is the oil and gas of the people of Alberta...and Saskatchewan...and BC!

Comment

I think that Ralph fuels the fires of envy mucn of the time.

I have no idea how he conducts himself at first ministers meetings, but hopefully with more decorum than he does here at home !

Comment

This phrase that we hear so often...

" It is the oil and gas of the people of Alberta..."

I agree, yet I still have some issues with this, although, it is the view of many today...and it is hard to argue with.

But if you think about it...if this had been the dictum since the beginning of settlement in the western world, would there ever have been a gold rush? Would there ever have been exploration of any kind if those so inclined would have been told up front, "what ever you find, what ever you discover...YOU MUST SHARE...IT BELONGS TO ALL OF US!"

Some how I think this would have stifled new discoveries and the activities of risk takers. And we ALL would have been the poorer for it.

It is this mind set that makes it easier for me to accept that Horse is much richer than me...I would get no comfort in bringing him down to my level as far as wealth is concerned.

I am happy for him...all the more power to ya buddy.

Comment

Eric may have written this "toungue in cheek", but I assure you there are people that share this negative sentiment about Alberta.

I am not too young too remember a time when oil was under $10 barrel and nat gas was under a buck. The prov govt of the time was trying to figure out a diversification strategy in AB, and some remember the Getty years of ALPAC, MagCan, Diashowa, Novatel and other projects. Some turned out, some were complete flops. At the time we were running huge prov defecits and still positive on transfer payments.

At that time, with low energy costs and a weak dollar, the manufacturing sector in ON was booming, real estate was sky high. Ontario and BC(Asian Money)lead the country in growth. Before free trade, the auto pact was the most important trade deal any liberal govt made, and the direct benefit was to Ontario, primarily.

Alberta at the time did not cry for a grab of the wealthy prov money, they tried to figure out a plan. Best of all was the bouncing out of the Liberals and the arrivals of the Tories and NAFTA, deregulation of oil and gas, and the eventual energy prosperity.

It will be inevitable that the tremendous growth driven by energy will eventually slow down, reserves of nat gas will be depleted, and the high cost of remaining tar sands will not drive perpetual growth.

When that time comes I hope Alberta has the sense to have kept its cost of govt in check, and that the people of the province are prepared for the new paradigm.

In the meantime, the jealous and mean spirited antics of folks like Eric, and others who speak of similar drivel should be challenged with reason and logic. The numbers bear out the fact that Alberta's wealth is more than shared.

Besides, the Globe and Mail is a paper I detest, because it often has this anti-Alberta, anti-American, anti- west, and proliberal slant that I gag at when I read it. The National Post is a much better paper.

Comment

I think you have a pretty good understanding of the situation northfarmer. I would definitely agree on the need to keep spending under control...and I don't see that happening!
                    Ralph Klein came in as a cost cutter and did bring some sanity to government spending, although to give Don Getty credit he did a lot of the dirty work earlier. Since Ralphs first term he has rapidly been slipping back into a spendthrift? It is unfortunate that a very vocal minority of the population can cry so loud and the Conservatives run around and pat their bums and throw money at them? It is also unfortunate that most of our local papers tend to have a Liberal/NDP slant! Edmonton Journal, Calgary Herald...might as well be the official Communist rags? My own local the Red Deer Advocate out does them both for having a nice pink shade! But then what can you expect when the local media is owned in the east?
                    I will definitely agree the National Post is a good paper.

Comment

cowman: The 'National Post' is only good for lining bird cages. The bird poop actually improves it's aroma.

Comment

IVB well I see you still think and rightly so that a strong offence is the best defence.
                        If your figures are right and alta sent more to ottawa than the royalties where did alta get the money do you supose mabey from high paid OIL worlers and high paid construction workers that is tied directly to the OIL without these jobs as direct spinoff of the oil boom where are they going to get that kind of tax revenue,and the people will leave where there is work and I know the agri sector cant put up any more money.
                        I find it comical that I have become rich but so be it if you wish,
                        I cant figure why I cant have a diferent opinion and not be a commie but the TORY mentality is they are the chosen ones [ I supose after the Jews ], to lead and the strong must always lead the Hoy Poly because how could comon folf know whats best for themselves.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...