• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather and Highways

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather and Highways

I was out on the highway yesterday afternoon, drove nearly 200 kms west and south of Edmonton and not a plow truck in sight. I don't know whether they were deliberatly staying off the highways until the storm subsided or not but the snow build up was getting serious, particularly when a vehicle passed on either the two or four lane and when meeting a big truck on the two lane.

I have one of those big heavy gas guzzling SUV's and travelling in conditions like I was yesterday I am damn glad of it !!

There were numerous vehicles in the ditch the further west I travelled, a lot of them were small cars that likely were trying to pass and got one set of wheels in the deep snow .

Mother nature can sure decide to throw the book at us sometimes, and winter travelling in Alberta is not without its dangers thats for sure.

Darn glad to be safe and sound at home today.

We`ve got one of those SUCKERS too EM!! Just for those times you describe!Living in rural areas dictates you have to `be prepared`and there isn`t anything more sickening than spinning toward oncoming!!

Comment

cropduster, I, for one, never apologize for owning a SUV. In Alberta in weather like we had yesterday, I am pretty confident I can get to where I absolutely need to go if I use my common sense and drive sensibily. Having a vehicle that is designed for nasty roads and weather is worth every penny it costs to own it, just for the peace of mind alone !!!

Comment

Sounds like you two are sensible about driving your SUV's and I don't begrudge you for having them. What I do have a problem with are those people who believe they are invincible once they get behind the wheel of their mighty SUV and make driving a contact sport.

There are a great number of people who believe that just because they are driving something that can have all 4 wheels turning at once they are somehow better off on ice.

Now there are drivers of all makes and models of vehicles that do not allow for winter driving conditions and make it hazardous for not only themselves but for some poor unsuspecting, mindful driver. I know I'm careful on bad roads but it is generally the other driver I have to be concerned about.

Comment

Yesterday I was passed twice on double solid lines on hills, in blizzard conditions. It never ceases to amaze me how some people feel the destination they want to reach is worth getting killed or causing others to get killed for !!!
          You are right Linda, having an SUV does not mean you can drive like an idiot, and some people certainly have a false sense of security thats for sure.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...