• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got our share of Federal Money

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got our share of Federal Money

Just opened up our check from the new program yes its something but
    they deducted from the over payment of CASIP and i get nothing.
    Partner got 13,000 and other got 5000.

will pay part of crop insurance from last year.

CASIP is a flop from the liberanos that never paid after frost year drought year frost year and now no prices one has to wonder when I will qualify for CASIP when I am broke and done farming.

What a country.

Not to worry SK3..our freind horse, who is a dedicated believer in equality will be happy to help us out in light of the fact that his property taxes are almost nill compared to ours.

Comment

IVBC dont know how you know so much about me but I saw in the Ritchie Bros catalogue the land taxes listed on the property they are selling this spring and they are not that much higher than mine on 5 1/4s I pay just short of $2000 and that is for very rocky and rolly land . The good farm land is in the $700 per1/4 range and if you own less land it gets very high like the 1/4 west of me is owned gy a fellow with only 2 1/4s and his taxes are 1800 thats with an 1400 sq ft house. Mabey if you was paying a fair rent to the gov on crown land the taxes wouldnt be so high on the deaded land.

Comment

Well I think the new government basically said CAIS was a disaster and would be replaced somewhere down the road? CAIS didn't work at all for me and after doing some ballpark figuring I decided to not participate, however that hasn't stopped the administration from continuing to send me BS about what a good program it is and asking how come I haven't been sending in my info...after I had told them I would not be participating! Just two weeks ago I got a large envelope in the mail from CAIS...which was empty! Absolutely nothing in the envelope!...your government hard at work for you?
        Personally I liked NISA...it actually put a few bucks in your pocket?
        In 1995 I took a real bath on feeder cattle. I figured I probably lost $70,000 so thought I should qualify for FIDP? Well I jumped through the hoops, paid the accountant a few bucks...and got ZERO dollars! The hog farmer neighbor down the road made a killing...even though he figured he had a fairly decent year!
        I wonder how many $Millions CAIS costs to administer? I suspect it could be substantial? Maybe it is another of these "make work" projects...sort of like the gun registry or the other crooked little schemes the government enjoys?

Comment

Like I said...I pay all the taxes on lease land. A good bare quarter of grain land around here is often in the $1500.00 to $1800.00 per year.

In the Vally View Grand Prarie area comparable land is $160.00 per quarter.

And I know of irrigated land in the south, east of Bassano that rounds around $200!!

This is a remarkable difference and it is the result of there never being a rationalization of school tax revienues as the rural areas depopulated!

Now farmers pay 4 times education tax as the city folks...and they think WE are subsidized!!

Comment

In Alberta we have a program called RAP, rural assessment which assess our farm or acreage house and three acre site separate from the rest of the land. Farmers are given a deduction on their assessment utilizing the farm land assessment to lower the assessment on the house and three acrea site up to a maximum.

Farm buildings are not taxed as long as they aren't support buildings for some commercial or industrial venture that is carried out on the farm.

There is a push by urban municipalities to have the government allow taxation of all agriculture infrastructure which would include corrals, barns etc., but so far the government hasn't been anxious to take that route.

Comment

Not really knowing when these alphabet soup of support programs kick in and when they don't, I am wondering if the programs work better for those who are deriving all of their income from the farm versus those who get off-farm income and/or those who primary income is not derived from the farm?

With NISA I had heard that it was also not the best program and some got pretty good at farming the system. I suppose that is true with anything - you've got those who know how to be at the trough all the time.

What I have seen in a number of the threads and the reality is that the money never gets to the intended recipient the way that it should.

The other question is what will CAIS be replaced with? I don't imagine it is easy coming up with a program that will benefit all equally and in the way it was intended to. Just like pantyhose, one size don't fit all.

Comment

IVBC you must be real special or at least in the best part of sask I just looked again in the Richie sale listing and the highest taxes I seen was 1400 with a prety nice sounding yard . They must have over 200 1/4 sections listed and I would guess 5-600 per 1/4 taxes.
                As for valey view if it wasnt for oil revenue the whole country would still be moose pasture , as for irigated land I understand that also wouldnt exest if not for gov subsidys.
                And thats the way it is BUT THAT DONT MAKE IT RIGHT>

Comment

CAIS has been a joke from day one. Many people thought they were getting windfall only to have to pay a lot of it back.

Taxation varies from province to province but in Alberta all farmland is taxed separately from the house and three acre site. The assessment made up of several factors including the distance from an urban centre, distance from paved roads etc., and the going rate in that particular area for a three acre serviced parcel.

The closer you are to Highway 2 and of course major centres eg: Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton the higher the assessment, so if you own a large amount of farmland in your municipality it will lower your assessment on your house and site.

Comment

Guys, I'm frustrated as hell. I was told to expect $60000.00 from Caisp. Their exact words were you can take that to the bank. I was told in 03 that we didn't qualify, 04 after frost didn't qualify, 05 they said was the year it would all iron out in the wash. Got a letter today stating nothing is coming period. End of story. I'm 24 my future after todays news is in real jeopardy.

Comment

It would be interesting to see how many producers don't qualify and how much money actually gets to producers.

This along with how many initial grain payment checks for $0.00 or under $10.00 were sent out by the CWB.

Then advertise this in the urban papers. See how they would take it if there pay check was $0.00 after they worked and thier companies took all expenses.

How long would Monsanto have employees if it was them?

Comment

I did an interim for CAIS in DEC. 2004.
                        I recieved $7000.00 then did my CAIS
                        final in OCT. 2005. Zero payment which
                        means I owe the Feds $7000.00.

They got their money this week as they took their $7000.00 off the top of the grain and oilseeds payment. So my payment this week was basically nothing.

Cais program is the biggest ripoff the gov. has ever given us.

Comment

CAIS 03 seemed to pay out around my area pretty well, mainly to beef or beef and grain guys. I know I got over $200 per cow out of it and most of my neighbours seemed to get something similar. 04 and 05 won't be worth applying for in my case with zero prospect. Don't have any strong views on it either way - if it's there and will pay out i'll do the paperwork but I'd prefer to derive more from the marketplace vs handouts.

Comment

To the young guy who has to pay back CASIP, Add a zero to your amount my margin was 200,000.00 We were wiped out completely in 2004 with the frost and after getting nothing from the 2002 frost and drought in 2003 I was told man you will come out of this looking good.
                            Well they did the final just in January for 2004 and I have to pay back all the $70,000.00 I received.
                            The last check from the feds went to pay down that amount.
                            What a great program.
                            I had a good margin and had no crop do to frost and got nothing.
                            Some thing is wrong with this program.
                            Big problem is the Ag Canada Bureaucrats that Designed it it works for Pork business and strawberry farms and peach, Christmas tree farms etc.
                            But for the back bone of Canada Grain, and Cattle it doesn't.

Comment

My calculations are 4 for 4 =0

Is there anyone out there that actually got money and could keep it?

I was told over the phone that it looked like the program (casip) wasn't designed for me so I never applied, now I am wondering if I should even bother applying for my share of 755m.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...