• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Appointed!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appointed!

Yesterday I got appointed to a board that is basically a laison group between the oil companies, EUB, Alberta Environment, and local landowners.
    I reluctantly accepted after being told if I liked to bitch so much I should put my money where my mouth was! Not sure if I want to be on the recieving end...instead of handing it out!
    However I think it is a very worthwhile thing and maybe a necessity? You can just bet I will keep things warm!

...so much for retirement...eh

Comment

...or should i had a sucker for punishment...lol

Comment

now horse will really give you a rough time.

Comment

Good thing you have broad shoulders and a thick hide, am thinking you will need it!!!!! Good luck!!!!!

Comment

Emerald I wont coment until he tell us what he has or has not acomplished. And hey at least he will get all the latest gosip and probably well paid or at least well fed.

Comment

And will he put a proper SPIN on things as well ??????

Comment

The main focus of this group is how to ease the problems that are coming with the massive coalbed fields...especially the pipeline system, which should be a major concern?
                One of the maybe problems was that I was in a conflict situation with a certain coalbed company! Recently we had come to an understanding with them of sorts, although they haven't delivered yet! This company has done a lot to improve their image and has become quite proactive on public relations. It helped that they skidded some of their senior people(mostly American!) and replaced them with some Albertans!
                I, like anyone else who owns land that is rapidly appreciating in value, am concerned about how the coalbed is going to be developed? It is going to go no matter what, so the question is how do we do it so everyone can be a winner...or at least lose as little as possible?
                I think I have a pretty good understanding of the situation but I'm no tree hugger! I definitely can see how much money the coalbed can put in producers pockets and the impact on the land is minimal, but it is the future developement of this land that a lot of farmers aren't looking at? Hope I can do a bit of good.
                And being honest here...it is good for me, as far as business goes! Sitting at the same table will be the companies I do business with!

Comment

There is a similar group here,I was extremely surprised at some of the folks the EUB asked to participate because they didn't have much credibility with their neighbours much less represent them.

I know you will be a much better choice cowman !

Comment

There is a program going near here I am not involved personaly but I do fear for our water and I dont think this govmt will do much in protecting the land owner or the water under it.
                    Like it or not water is getting to be a scarse comody wells in this area are 3/400 ft or more and 3gal/min is comon and the anual prec is very low as compared to 40/50 yr ago the stream flows are almost gone the athabasca river is low and so on and I dont think anyone in power is looking.
                    Dont know if this is something cowman will be involved in but it sure is a concern.

Comment

Lorne Taylor's Water for Life initiative was supposed to address issues of water allocation etc., but industry is on the move and that is who has the clout in AB these days.

Comment

Cowman, might I suggest you and others interested in surface rights issues, visit this site if you have not already.

Interesting group of farmers have launched several class action lawsuits against pipeline companies specifically.

They are looking for support from farmers across the country.

http://pipeline-landowners.com/

Comment

Thank you for that site, northfarmer. I note that Ontario farmers are fairly advanced in dealing with this problem, while Alberta has no pipeline group!
                          The neighbor asked me once if I thought it was a problem running a liquid manure wagon over the two ethane lines crossing his property? I told him I think you have to get permission from the pipeline company and if he damaged the pipeline he could be liable! Of course he was indignant that he should have to ask! I told him if those babies rupture he won't have to worry about it...at 3600 psi it is unlikely they'll find the operator, tractor, or manure tank!

Comment

better the darn tank ruptures in his field than on a public roadway and the contents get dumped into a creek !!!

Comment

I would suggest that a little pig shit in a creek is better than some farmer, or his kid, getting blown to bits on a pipeline rupture. Then, insult to injury, having the farmer pick up the tab for the mess and the loss of business on the pipeline.

We have old underground pipelines in our area that is starting to rupture. These lines carry produced water (contaminated water) for reinjection. The environmental impact is far greater than a little pig shit in the creek.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...