• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proportional representation?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proportional representation?

Ed Broadbent noted last night on CBC that with proportional representation the NDP would have about twice as many seats as they got? The Green party would have about 15!
    About the best argument I've ever heard NOT to have it?
    Before the election coverage Air Farce was on with a spoof on a fictional party "The Idiot Party"? Seems to me if you actually had such a party...then some people would vote for them? So we could have several MPs from the "Idiot Party" under proportional representation?...or do we already have the "Idiot Party"....called the NDP?

And a few other parties could fall under that name cowman.

Still when you step back and look at it, the vote in the country gets split so many ways, how can anything ever get accomplished effectively.

Some will say it keeps governments in check but the last government was less than perfect for a long time so what does that say.

I guess it says ( I say) I am a fan of the U.S style political system.

Comment

I did a calculation dividing the 308 seats by the % NATIONAL popular vote. It worked out roughly to be 32 BQ (not 51) 112 Con 13 Green, 93 Liberal and 54 NDP. Since thats only 304 the rest would be given to the "Majority" in my plan.

Something else to consider is the NWT, NUN and YK elected 3 MPS, the total registered voters in the North doesn't come close the number in the average southern constituency

My suggestion would that we throw out party politics for the next 4 years. Make ALL the votes free votes and let the bills and other votes be won or lost on their own merits. THAT would include money bills. It would make for more team work and thats been lost for a long time.

Comment

Well Wooly bear that is a pretty insightful thought! Seriously, that might just be the ticket to decent and fair government!
        Unfortunately I doubt any of the parties would go for it, but I think that is one hell of an idea!

Comment

One more thing: rookie I hope you didn't vote for the "dippers"? Don't you know these are the people who support the unions who screw up your grain shipments, who shut down your packing houses, who support every goofy idea that might break you?
          How do you see yourself? Do you see yourself as a man of capital, using that capital to better yourself along with hard work? Or do you see yourself as a stupid peasant that needs somebody to take care of them?
          The west wasn't won with a damned union! It was won by people with a vision of pulling themselves up by their bootstraps! Not a union, not a nanny government?
          Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you said once you were of Ukaranian descent? Those old boys never got by because the government coddled them? It was literally root hog or die?
          Don't get sucked in to voting for the enemy.

Comment

While it might cause more stalemates waiting for a concensous (sp?)(as in WTO) a Parliment on proportional representation by National Popular vote it would of course Cowman have to include the union oriented left of center parties too.

It takes all kinds to make this dang thing called Confederation work, and while you are most correct that the unions have screwed the pooch on the grain handling and meatpacking etc, they just represent the folks that (Like ourselves in Agriculture) are just trying to put food on the table. I sometimes wish a union would work for farmers(and NOT the NFU variety).

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...