• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Young Farmers Forum

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Young Farmers Forum

Last week at the Crop production show in Saskatoon I attendended a meeting about the CYFF,and the possibillity of Starting a Sask chapter. It seemed interesting and have merit although I was wonderig what others thoughts were on the organization, some of their past work good/bad ? basically if it is worth my valuable time. I am a 30yr old mixed farmer who is starting to get active. thanks

I'm 30 too, somewhat familiar with CYFF and I agree with most of what they're trying to do, HOWEVER, there's such a lack of young blood in most of the other organizations that most of the people involved in CYFF would be able to accomplish MUCH more if they were to use their time in other organizations (CFA, CCA, provincial organizations, whatever).

Comment

The CYFF is a good place to become involved not only does it allow you to participate in the industry beyond the farm gate it allows you to meet other young producers who share your passions and want to be more aware of the issues around and affecting the big picture in agriculture. Like any other organization it is only as vibrant and strong as the people in it so join and be prepared to step in and put some time into it and I'm sure you'll get more back than you thought you would. I have always liked the concept that CYFF stay out of the "lobbying" and serve as a training ground and basis of knowledge for future farm leaders, it's easier to work with people later on issues if you have a basis in friendship and understanding that comes form a group like this.
      I was a part of the first few years of CYFF and gained a great deal of insight into the industry Canada wide, I then went on, ran and spent threee years as a director in one of the general farm organizations that are part of CFA, again broadening my knowledge base and contacts within the industry . All while putting my effort towards hopefully improving the industry for all. I say go for it.
      Good Luck

Comment

Just as an aside to Dalek the CYFF is in fact an associate member of CFA, and apart from time of which none of us have enough of theres cetainly no reason not to be involved in CYFF as well as CCA or ABP though I know theres only so much time for off farm involvment without hurting your own operation.
        Thanks

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. I'm 27 and would be interested.

Comment

What province are you in R Reid? Contact the general farm organization and they can likely point you to a contact person, i.e OFA, KAP,APAS
            or contact Rod Scarlett in Alberta he's with Wild Rose Ag. Producers as well he has been the executive director for the national body of CYFF I believe the number is on the wrap.ab.ca website

Comment

In your opions is the CYFF as good a place as any to start or what good organizations are out there this post is for all dryland commodities/beef cow leadership to try to recruit young members for their exec.

Comment

Really it depends on what your passions are because of it's form CYFF is for all commodities and sectors, it tended when I was involved to look at the big picture items, i.e trade, farm intergenerational transfers, business education, etc.
                These are applicable and can help no matter what commodity sector you are from. My best suggestion is find out the contact for the group in your province get on the contacts list and go to one of the AGM's or seminars put on by the group and talk to the executive that'll be your first best indication of if it's for you. Or find out who's on the executive in your province and phone and talk with one of them.
                Hope this helps

Comment

I reread your post just_wondering and maybe I got your question wrong were you asking if CYFF is a good group to belong to or if CYFF was a good group to try and source members from.
                  I say yes it's a good group and as far as sourcing members from CYFF it's always good to see who's active and interested in the farm beyond the farm gate, however what sometimes happens is these young "keeners" get so many opportunities and chances to be part of the outside the farm part of the industry that they either burn out or the family or farm suffers.
                  It really is a great balancing act to be involved at the ages 20-40 with all the additional demands on your time.
                  hopefully one of my two posts helps

Comment

WRAPper
                    I liked your comments about people getting burned out. People need to realize that us young farmers have different priorities than those of our grey haired board members. The kids don't mind if grama and grampa can't be there but mom and dad better try pretty hard. Nothing breaks your heart more than your 3 yr old saying are you going to another meeting tonight Dad?
                    Thanks

Comment

You're welcome

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.