• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ag minister?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one thing that has bothered me the most during this campaign is the references to Alberta.

Duceppe refered to Harper as somebody from Calgary and then there was the Buzz Hargove comments. I am damn tired of eastern Canada thinking that Alberta cannot produce thinking, honest politicians capable of being leaders.
    Out here in the west we seem to be more concerned about integrity than we do same sex marriage, and we know that gun control will never stop crime. We have made been independent for good reason out here, the east didn't know Alberta existed until Leduc #1 blew in....before that we could have fallen off the face of the earth and nobody in the east would have noticed.
    It is time that we did have a Prime Minister from Alberta, and one that will choose a cabinet made up of representation from all regions of the country, with a focus on accountability and cleaning up the aftermath of corruption.

Comment

Off topic but here goes anyways.....over 70% of Iraqis voted.Am wondering how Canada will compare???

Comment

Playing devil's advocate for a moment - didn't Harper come to Alberta to get a seat in the House? Seems to me he was from Ontario originally, so technically Alberta will not be producing a leader, rather one that had to come here in order to get into the House. It might be a blurring of the lines, but I think it would be hard for him to truly understand what some of the West has felt for a very long time.

Your point isn't so off topic cropduster as numbers could very well make a big difference tomorrow. About 60% voted last time - is there enough interest to get the number higher this time? We'll know after tomorrow.

I'm actually quite surprised by the number of people that are saying they aren't going to vote and/or aren't interested in federal politics - only the local stuff. The other thing that doesn't come as a huge surprise is the number of people that say they don't know who they'll vote for until they actually get into the voting box. Talk about an informed vote at that stage. I would imagine it would be more a matter of what name the person recognizes.

Not getting out to vote is the way we waste a vote, that and spoiling your ballot. If we exercise our right to vote, then it isn't a waste, even in this "blue" province.

Comment

Make no mistake Harper is well aware of western issues. Some of his main advisors are from Alberta, and he certainly has relied on Alberta MP's to carry the ball in this last parliament> ( Jason Kenney, Monty Solberg, Rona Ambrose, Diane Ablonzy etc.) I think he has a good read on issues facing all regions of Canada, his offer to allow Quebec to sit at the table on international cultural issues certainly isn't selling out the country, and may go along way toward getting some conservative seats in Quebec tomorrow.

I hope there is a good turnout all across the country regardless of how they vote.

Comment

Cakadu: I think you raise an excellent point re voters deciding their vote once in the ballot box. None of the polls list the undecided voter.

The time has come for Canadians to vote for Canada. A Canada with the RCMP, a Canada that stands up to the United States on missile defence, a Canada with a CWB, a Canada that treats all provinces equally and does not give Quebec special international status, a Canada that gives women the right to choice, a Canada that does not say one thing in Quebec and another in the rest of the country, a Canada that is different from the United States, a Canada that is better than the United States. That Canada is not the Conservatives Canada and that has become clear during this election campaign.

Comment

I agree with you farmers_son. Harper will divide Canada to suit his own ends.

Comment

Time to drink your Kool Aid now f_s.

Comment

farmers son: I find it strange that all the things you listed as being desirable, I find undesirable?
                  The RCMP are a federal police force. They enforce federal laws and answer to Ottawa. Alberta should have a provincial police force, composed of Alberta citizens, accountable to the Alberta government.
                  Missile defence: How hard is this to figure out? The Americans are paying for it...we benifit from it?
                  Canada that treats all equally: How about the concept of ten provinces being treated the same as Quebec? Quebec gets the right to sit in on international deals that affect it...so does every other province? Sounds good to me?
                  Abortion: It is a dirty business at the best of times. Where do you draw the limit? Partial birth? Why not just slam the kid against a tree right after he is born? How many abortions are really necessary? There is a huge waiting list of couples wanting to adopt kids, maybe the state needs to put up some money to support these little mommas get through their pregnancy? Maybe they should tell them to keep their legs closed if they don't want to be pregnant?
                  Abortion is nothing short of murder in my mind.
                  Quebec, Say one thing there, something else in ROC: What party, other than the BLOC, doesn't do this?
                  USA different than Canada: Well Alberta is more like the USA than it is like Quebec, or Ontario, or the Maritimes? Albertans believe in free enterprize, being responsible for yourself, having better morals than an alley cat?I hate to tell you this but most of us have a desire to NOT be wards of the nanny state?
                  Oh mustn't forget the CWB: Hmmm...it is amazing that the farmers in Ontario are smart enough to own their own grain but the dumb hicks in the west aren't? How does this square with your "Treat all Canadians the same"? How is this in any way fair? This is nothing short of communism within a police state...all for the "national good" of course?
                  The times are a changing my friend. You are lost in the Trudeau age! Those days are gone.

Comment

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and today is the day they get to express that opinion where it counts.

The Conservatives are not the Progressive Conservatives. The threat of separation is part of the Conservative platform and some of us recall the Alberta Conservative campaign manager making similar comments as Cowman to the effect that if the Conservatives do not win the election they will work to separate.

Well this Canadian does not take well to threats. However there can be no doubt if the Conservatives form a minority government that they will form an alliance with the Bloc, they are similar. In fact the Bloc was formed by Conservative MPs.

People have a clear choice this election and will cast their ballots during the day.

Comment

cowman you make a lot of sense most of the time but I am disgusted with your comment about the little mommas. Women aren't the only party to unwanted pregnancies, or have you forgotten !!!!!!

Comment

With a truly National party, One that is represented in all regions of Canada being elected tonight, it goes back to the original post of this thread, whom may be the new Ag. minister??

Comment

emerald: Well I would note the argument is always about "a Womans right to choose", not anything else...they don't add "and sperm donor"? The problem is we have to give her something to "choose" between, instead of okay lets kill that baby!
                          I have a friend who thinks abortion is a good thing! Says it cleans up the scum and trash! Now there might be some truth to that...but it is a pretty harsh view in my opinion, and not much respect for the human spirit? Every soul that comes into this world deserves a chance...and I do believe that little baby has a soul and the right to live his life and if it costs us a few bucks...then so be it! Its not like we don't waste Billions on totally worthless things?
                          I also believe somewhere down the line we get to answer for all we have done in this life, both good and bad? If a person justs thinks we are an animal who lives and dies then I guess they don't have a problem with acting however they desire?
                          Yes, these little mommas are caught between a rock and a hard place and we as a society haven't given them much of an option? Who is more at fault? The murderer with no option or the society that condones and encourages that murder? Those who speak up for murder will be required to answer for that. Just my opinion.

Comment

Cowman it all boils down to people taking responsiblity for their actions. I am not a supporter of abortion but I do think that is sometimes preferrable to bringing children into the world and subjecting them to abuse which in more cases than we realize is brutal.
                            In a perfect world every child should be wanted and loved, but sad to say there are many parents that cannot take responsibility for themselves much less their children. If these children were surredered for adoption into loving homes it would be wonderful, but in most cases they are not.
                            All adults entering into a relationship regardless of whether it is long term or a one night stand, need to take responsibility for any resulting pregnancy, and not expect society to clean up the mess they make of raising a child without adequate care or nurturing !

Comment

I wonder how the kid being abused would look at that? Maybe he'd rather be knocked on the head or something?
                              It really isn't your choice, or my choice or the governments choice, or the mothers choice? It should be that little souls choice?
                              Whenever you try to play God it usually isn't a good idea?
                              Since the dawn of time males and females have been making babies...that is unlikely to ever change? How we deal with the problems those little babies might create defines us as human beings? Are we killers or are we defenders of their rights? Now I would suggest that should be our priority...standing up for the rights of those who can't stand up for themselves?
                              One of the few charities I give money to is for unwed mothers. I am not a Catholic but I do support their platform of the right to life. Again just my opinion, and I know it isn't PC but then most of my beliefs aren't. I'm not in government. I don't make the decisions. I obviously am out of step with the majority who want to see homos married, swing clubs on every corner, killing factories in every neighborhood, payola in government, terrorists and criminals glorified? Gee it sure is tough trying to do the right thing these days?

Comment

Just a few words on a very difficult issue. Whether right or wrong, women have been having abortions since the very beginning of time. Abortion induced by herbs or manipulation was used as a form of birth control in ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome and probably earlier. In the Middle Ages in Western Europe abortion was generally accepted in the early months of pregnancy. What has changed like the flow of the tides is public acceptance of abortion. But whether public opinion supported abortion or attempted to stop abortion through legislation a woman determined to end a pregnancy would find a way even if it meant risking her life to do it.

Cowman, it is very admirable that you support unwed mothers. I am impressed. I do think there are limits however in just how far society can go in restricting a persons activities. We cannot turn back the hands of time, there are ways a woman can end a pregnancy even without a medical doctor’s assistance. There always has been. The issue is not whether woman can end a pregnancy because she can if that is her desire. The issue is will society allow her to have a medically approved and safe procedure or will she be driven underground. If it was my daughter I would want her to have the proper medical care. Although I was touched by your reference to a little soul, I love my daughters more.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.