• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final try

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final try

Once again I ask what to do with tough feed wheat. I live six hours north of the border, and suspect trucking too far even if dry.
    Can the Camas air density cleaner effectively remove dark greens.
    Do I take $2.09/ bushel for my %15 protein HRS?
    My challenge is answers or proposals that are useful, and not endless tirades over the same "dead" horse that we've been "beating" for 25 years.

lohner;

A Colour sorter may in fact be a better tool to upgrade dark green kernels... or both the density seperator plus the colour sorter.

A hold over to next crop year may be a long shot as falling numbers appear to be put into place Aug 1/06.

All the best... certainly lots of feed wheat makes this a tough decision... a dryer fed with feed wheat to dry grain?

Comment

Iohner or lohner, can't tell. In my opinion, the first step is knowing the exact quality.

Do you know the exactly the quality of this wheat? And I don't mean the grade that the local elevator would give you. What is the grade that the Can Gr Com in Calgary (or equivalent) would give you. It would be helpful to know grade, protein, dockage, moisture content and, Tom is right, falling number.

You can get a complete grade, dockage, protein falling number, etc., from SGS in Calgary. Phone them at (403)290-0903. They'll want a 300 gram (2/3 lb) sample.

The Canadian Grain Commission in Calgary can give you everything but falling number.

Of course, make certain you probe the bins properly to get a representative sample to send for analysis.

Once you know all that you will have something to help you start to make decisions with.

Comment

Also what exactly is the situation on location of theh grain is the wheat in bins? do you have any aeration? Temp cables in bins? Have you spoken to any brokers in regards to possible movement into the manitoba market? The reports I've read say there a feed wheat market there with a premium there currently and if the corn tariff goes ahead ,there might be opportunity later. Melvill's dead right you need to know the specs in order to find any premiums for higher test weight etc. We moved borderline feed into a 3 because of knowing falling number.
        There is so much tough wheat in piles and that's going to need to find a home quickest therefore until some of it gets through the system it is alway good to be able to hold back a bit, this is the year where the investment in the ability to hold grain in condition will pay.

Comment

Thanks JD4ME. I'll slip you a fiver (hundred, that is).

Again the most important thing, other than making certain that wheat will store safely if need be, is knowing quality. Knowing exact quality is a great hand-up in the marketing game. Too few farm managers really "know" it.

Comment

Iohner, one more thing. If you do send a sample or samples to SGS or the CGC, please let us all know how their grades and falling number compare with what you thought you had in the bin. We can all learn from that.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...