• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concern over trail development

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concern over trail development

Why the concern over trail development on abandoned rights-of-way, underdeveloped road allowences and irrigational canals? -------------------------------------- TransCanada Trail and Alberta TrailNet are proposing to develope rural land for public recreatioonal use and expect adjacent landowners to pay for fences, additional insurance, infrastructure costs (fire and emergency services), and taxes. Alberta TrailNet is proposing to develop 2200 kms of TransCanada Trail in Alberta. Much of which would bisect privately held land. If we do not act now we may all end up like England with laws that allow All people unrestricted access to all agriculture land. I wish to hear your opinion on this matter. For more info Email at: klausg@telusplanet.net

Actually Klaus, I think you've got the situation in England wrong. So far as I know people are only allowed access to private land along traditional rights of way that have existed for hundreds and possibly thousands of years. Of course this is sometimes an inconvenience to farmers, but as a Canadian farmer who has walked a few of these English trails in the off season, I couldn't see much of a problem. This idea that the entire landscape should be cordoned off in private parcels is a relatively recent one, and one that seems to be taken to extremes in some places. I think that we live in a community, and the price for that is that sometimes we share with the community at large.

Comment

I have a few articles that I would like people to look at. If you could go to www.fwi.co.uk/live/ click on Latest News then Search Previous issues with key word paths.

Comment

George, I looked a number of articles using the keyword 'paths' and couldn't see what you might be referring to. Certainly there is a lot of controversy, but little mention of an overbearing problem. I've no doubt that some landowners face problems. There are 55 million people in the UK in a land area one third the size of Alberta. That's 75 times the population density of Alberta. Many of these pathways are immediately adjacent to major urban areas. Most of the trail in Alberta is a one to three hour drive from a city. One farmer I met over there was actually planning to allow people free access by foot to the land he farmed. He wasn't anticipating any problems, in an area that is moderately populated, but not near a big city. I haven't talked to him since.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.