• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bold coyotes and foxes!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bold coyotes and foxes!

The other day a fox decided he would have a kitten lunch in the farm yard! The old mother cat was giving him a good show when I happened to drive in and he headed out pretty fast!
    Now I like coyotes and foxes but am getting darned sick of them cleaning out the cats at the farm, so have decided to get a big yard dog that will keep them away! The boy has been looking to buy a Lab or a German Shepherd.
    Incidently the old cat had these kittens up by the house in an old dog house and someone dropped off a couple of extras...which didn't phase her at all...just adopted them along with her own four! She spends all day hunting mice to feed them! This cat is worth her weight in gold as she is a very good mouser.

I'm with you cowman - if they leave my critters alone I don't have a problem with them existing out there. Since we've gotten the livestock guardian, he takes care of any of the predator problems.

I don't know if we've ever had them after the cats - at least not that I've seen anyway.

It is always a challenge keeping coyotes away from sheep, but you know what they say "Eat lamb - 10,000 coyotes can't be wrong."

Enjoy the great fall weather.

Comment

cowman, I would venture to suggest that either a Lab or German Shepard would do as much damage to kittens as the coyote !!!

I have had good luck keeping coyotes away from the cats around here since the donkeys have been on guard ! Mind you, the donkeys have stomped the odd cats feet but didn't do any permanent damage !!!

New neighbours moved in and gave me a call to introduce themselves and also to tell me they have FOUR DOGS !!! They want me to be sure and call if any of the dogs happen to show up here bothering the cattle etc. I hope if the dogs do drop by that they head into the donkey pen first, then they likely won't bother to make a return visit !!

Those two little donkeys literally HATE strange dogs, and those little hooves are pretty sharp !!!

Comment

Never had that problem with a dog when you buy them as a pup. If you beat the hell out of them if they even look at a cat they leave them alone!
        Really appreciate having a bunch of cats around to keep down the mice but have a hard time keeping them with all the darned coyotes, foxes and owls around!

Comment

Had a border collie that did one cat in, and then I got another one that had been taken to the Farmers Market, and she wasn't used to dogs so she clawed the heck out of the collie and that was the end of any problems with the dog picking on cats.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...