• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

...the inevitable

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...the inevitable

Planning for the inevitable
    Ted Byfield - Monday,17 October 2005
    Western Standard

It does not require economic genius to see that big problems are arising in the economy of Ontario, which will result in big issues in the politics of Alberta. As this was written, the Ford Motor Co. had just announced the elimination of 1,100 jobs in the Windsor area over the next three years. Daimler Chrysler is planning to eliminate 450 jobs in the Toronto suburb of Etobicoke and 400 more in Windsor.

These numbers do not tell anything like the whole story. Layoffs totalling in the thousands by small manufacturers have wiped out 82,000 jobs so far this year, says Statistics Canada, and 106,000 in the past 12 months. Employment in Canadian factories has dropped to a four-year low, but construction jobs, most of them in the West, have prevented the unemployment rate from rising. It stands at 6.8, a thirty-year low.

The cause of the layoffs is self-evident. The first is outsourcing, a term increasingly dreaded in the industrial world. It means shipping the job to wherever it can be done for less--either in the southern U.S., more frequently in Asia. The other is the steady rise in the Canadian dollar.

This means Paul Martin's government may face a winter election in Ontario--the part of the country that matters most to him--in an atmosphere of rising unemployment, and in a country where one province, Alberta, is enjoying the biggest boom in its history.

There's a quiet confidence among many Albertans today that Martin will not dare introduce another National Energy Program. It may be true that he won't dare call it that. But it will amount to the same thing, a theft of Alberta resource revenues on an unprecedented scale to prop up Ontario's antiquated industries.

One question should therefore be uppermost among Albertans: what can we do to stop this? We are getting no discernible leadership from the provincial government, though thankfully two of the candidates most mentioned as successors to Ralph Klein--Jim Dinning and Ted Morton--seem fully aware of the danger. They also know that a wholly negative campaign--one of outrage, threats and vague allusions to separatism--will not succeed. Outright separatism won't work--not yet, anyway.

Maybe the past has a lesson to teach us. Maybe what we need is something akin to what John Diefenbaker called "The Vision." The year was 1957, and he came like a spectral figure out of backwoods Saskatchewan, with a credible plan for the whole country. Very few people realize that at first Diefenbaker couldn't sell his vision in the West. In the famous upset election of that year, the province that bought the vision was Ontario. Diefenbaker took the Tory standing in Alberta from two seats to three, in Saskatchewan from one seat to three, in Manitoba from three seats to eight, and in Ontario from 33 seats to 61. He formed a minority government and, the next year, won the biggest election victory in Canadian history. Something else is true. In the next five years Diefenbaker made the vision work, and the chief beneficiary was the West.

Early this month, Todd Hirsch, chief economist of the Canada West Foundation, promised to come forth, nearly 50 years later, with what amounted to a restatement of Diefenbaker's vision; the foundation is creating a plan. It promises to show how Alberta's oil bonanza can be used to benefit the whole country--to harvest Manitoba's vast electric power potential, Saskatchewan's "powerhouse" uranium deposits, B.C.'s coal and offshore oil resources. It's a development plan for the whole country, based on Alberta capital. That sounds like Diefenbaker's vision, and the sooner we have it, the better, because political events may overtake it.

I think if we could somehow pit this "Alberta Plan" or "Western Plan" against the "Martin Plan" it would soon become evident that Martin hasn't got a plan, and the West does. Then if this Alberta plan is rejected everywhere east of the Manitoba-Ontario border, that will be the time to talk about separatism. We should all bear in mind that the dire option is there. For the final fact is that Alberta doesn't need either Ontario or Ottawa to make the plan work.

For a sask native you sure seem to think you know best for alta. Did you notice the alta bonanza is for a select few like the 1000$ a day men and the who knows how much profit oil companys we as the hoypoloy dont get in on the real$ all we do is pay for exorbident profits and salerys of the rich , there dont seem to be an middle class anymore just those that have and those that dont...

Comment

Still feeling sorry for yourself eh horse.
      I live here but was born and raised in Alberta.
      But I would fight for justice in a heartbeat to defend you as an Albertan as I would hope you would me.

The oll and gas industry has been a big benifit for many a cowboy...I guess you just don't live where any of that activity takes place...you could have lived in russia!

Comment

you certainly do not need to live near where resource activity is taking place in Alberta to work in the industry. Many people travel for hundreds of miles to their jobs .
        I think that Sask. is reaping some benefit this time and hopefully will continue to do so.

Comment

Personally I know of men who are investing now in Saskatchewan and the source of the funds come from the oil and gas sector.
          They are buying land and developing it.

I think Horse just feels that no one should have a well on his place unless everyone gets one.

Very unrealistic.

Comment

Funny thats not the way I see it atall but I guess the best defence is a good offence.
            Emerald how do you know everyone is benifiting ? I know we are all paying and some are more able to pay than others.

Comment

horse, where did you see me way that everyone was benefitting ? If you reread my post you will see that I said that Saskatchewan may receive some benefits from the resource activity as some if it is going on in that province. Of course everyone does not benefit, and some will benefit more than others but thats the way the world turns.

Comment

At my house if I eat steak we all eat steak and if we eat weaners we all eat weaners or at least we dont give all to the first to the pot .
                I supose I am wrong but I had the idea the resources belonged to all albertans , so we should all share in the resources and wages should be seperate , but all the marbles seem to be in the oil cartels pockets And I feel that is wrong sure they need a profit but do you realize alta has the lowest royalties in the world? And that is our money this govmt is giving away.

Comment

Instead of knocking the oil and gas industry maybe you should be asking your MLA how come you aren't getting your fair share? The oil industry is just taking care of business, they don't set the rates?
                  Some of the candidates to take over from Klein have made some noise about getting a better deal on royalties? Dinning would be one?
                  In many ways we all do benifit from the oil wealth in this province? Better roads, lower taxes, etc.? However where does the money go after it is collected? ...well we spend more per capita on medical and education than any other province. We send more in transfer payments than all the other provinces combined...in fact more money than the province recieves in oil and gas royalties!
                  I do agree the oil and gas belong to the people of Alberta and we should be getting our fair share. We do have a government that has squandered our resources and managed the whole thing very badly? I guess if we don't like it there is nothing stopping us from throwing them out and replacing them. Somehow I don't see that happening...

Comment

I agree with most of what you are saying cowman, but the highways are not in good condition anymore. Sure there is a lot of new construction but many of our highways are falling apart. We have a government with no vision and long range planning, mainly flying by the seat of their pants and having resource money allows them to do it. I would suggest that horse and anyone else that things the same way should be putting heat on their MLA's wanting to know what long range plans are in place for the future of Alberta when the resource dollars aren't flowing like they are today.
                    Dinning is also the same man that said power deregulation would not fail. Is your power bill more or less than when he made that comment ?????

Comment

I agree with most of what you are saying cowman, but the highways are not in good condition anymore. Sure there is a lot of new construction but many of our highways are falling apart. We have a government with no vision and long range planning, mainly flying by the seat of their pants and having resource money allows them to do it. I would suggest that horse and anyone else that things the same way should be putting heat on their MLA's wanting to know what long range plans are in place for the future of Alberta when the resource dollars aren't flowing like they are today.
                      Dinning is also the same man that said power deregulation would not fail. Is your power bill more or less than when he made that comment ?????

Comment

Without a doubt my power bill is higher, but then so is my fuel bill! Costs go up and power is still cheap compared to many other things? Bought any steel lately?
                        Jim Dinning is a credible candidate. It was Dinning who engineered the "Klien revolution"...not Ralph! And personally I think he had the right idea!
                        I think Dinning should be considered because the man obviously can take some bold actions and carry through with a vision? Who are the other contenders...aren't they all basically guilty of going along with the slide into no fiscal policy...just throw money at problems when the heat gets too hot?...Well except Morton...he is the new kid on the block and can't share the blame?
                        I expect Jim Dinning will be our next premier? He obviously has the party backing as well as the business community behind him? I would think he would make a very good premier.

Comment

I dont want to sound like I am the only one paying attention but just how does one get change in politics when all the old guard take the stand they do all the while with thier head up thier you know what, As for dining who left politics and sat on the board for trans alta just after dereg and the trans alta fiasco in south america.
                          One thing about him we wont have to wait to see how crooked he is.

Comment

horse, I don't think that Dinning will get the rural support, with the exception of the areas close to Calgary. Ted Morton is a credible candidate with a mind of his own, he may finish a lot higher in the vote than many people think.
                            Oberg is a scary thought, he wants municipalities to borrow money to build bridges on primary highways, then hope like hell the government pays them back !! Our local MLA has been spewing the same idea.

Regardless of whether or not Dinning wins, he will have to give both Stelmach and Morton a fairly good cabinet post and they will have some clout. As it stands now, agriculture is not on anybody's agenda even Stelmachs with the exception of making the usual comments about how the government supports Agriculture etc.

Comment

Well horse personally I never vote for the Tories(except Ralph the second time out)! I have never voted Liberal or NDP in my life and never will.
                              My own MLA is pretty much useless in spite of being a so called cabinet minister...which sort of proves you could run a fence post as a PC in Alberta and still win!
                              So for me it will be a vote for the "radicals"...read that as the Alliance!
                              Probably a waste of time but I value my right to vote a protest!
                              All I ask from any government is to be fiscally prudent and decent managers...which seems to be a pretty big wish list in Alberta and Canada!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...