• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More proof...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More proof...

More proof that Ottawa's gun registry is useless

Lorne Gunter
    National Post
    Tuesday, October 11, 2005

There were 622 homicides in Canada last year, a sharp rise of 12% from 2003, according to Statistics Canada.

Yet as tragic as each of those murders was, 622 is still, thankfully, a small number. There are several U.S. cities with as many murders each year as all of Canada, or nearly so. Chicago and Los Angeles record around 600 annually; so does New York (down from about 2,200 as recently as 1990).

Canada has probably reached the theoretical floor for murders. Expect the number each year to fluctuate slightly above or below 600. Yearly spikes upward from that number (as we witnessed in 2004) or drops will be largely meaningless for divining any long-term trend.

Given the rise in the illegal drug trade, the continued inflow of newcomers from nations where violence is common, the rapid growth in the aboriginal population, more gang activity, the rise in criminal sentences involving no jail time (fewer than one-quarter of Canadian criminals ever see the inside of a cell) and other factors that contribute to crime, we are unlikely to see much of a significant, sustained decline in our present murder rate of just under two homicides for every 100,000 population.

But the good news is, that is already a very low rate. Colombia's rate per 100,000 population is 63, South Africa's 51, Jamaica's and Venezuela's 32, Brazil's 23. Russia's 19 and Mexico's 13. At 8.8, the U.S. rate is not that high by international standards, even though it is four times our own.

According to Statistics Canada's 2004 homicide report, released last week, 68% of adults accused of murder last year already had a criminal record, and 70% of those had convictions for violent offences.

Half of all murders occurred during the commission of another crime, notably assault (106), robbery (45), **** (8 ), stalking (5) and kidnapping (3). Another 81 victims died "as a result of their involvement in ... drug trafficking and gang violence."

Almost three-quarters of murderers and more than half of their victims had been drinking or taking illegal drugs at the time of their crime.

According to the report, "among solved homicides in 2004, 85% of victims knew their killer. Half (50%) were killed by an acquaintance, another one-third (35%) were killed by a family member and 15% of victims were killed by strangers."

The report also notes that "while aboriginal people account for approximately 3% of the Canadian population, they comprised 17% of victims and 22% of persons accused of committing homicide in 2004."

Don't know anyone with a criminal record for assault, ****, attempted murder, spousal abuse or robbery with a weapon? Don't know a gang member or drug dealer who is drunk or high? Aren't aboriginal? Then you are at very low risk of being murdered in Canada. We are just not a murderous people. Never have been. Still aren't.

Here are two other significant facts: Firearms homicides are up 13% in the past two years and 65% of firearms homicides are committed with handguns. Both stats -- but especially the one for handguns -- prove the Liberals expensive, intrusive, Byzantine gun registry has been totally useless.

The government and gun-control advocates love to cite the fact that the registry has denied or removed gun-ownership licences from a few thousand of Canada's 1.9 million registered gun owners. They love to repeat the continued endorsement for the registry of police chiefs, too.

But despite the licence denials and chiefs' support, the registry has had no effect on crime, especially murder, even with its $2-billion price tag.

Ottawa has been registering all handguns in the country (or at least all the legal ones) since 1934. And it has been attempting to control Canadians' hunting rifles and shotguns in earnest since 1991 thanks to the Mulroney Tories. It escalated both efforts under the Liberals after 1995.

Since 1991, the portion of murders committed with handguns has more than doubled from 32% to 65%. But if registration had any impact on crime, we would see it first and foremost with handguns, since they have been subject to mandatory registration for 71 years. Instead, the exact opposite has occurred. As the feds have sought to make the rules for hunting rifles and shotguns as tight as they have been for handguns for seven decades, murderers have simply switched to pistols and revolvers from long guns because the former are easier to conceal and thus easier to smuggle into the country.

Gun controls don't control illegal guns -- the ones most likely to be used in crimes. As such, they are useless, no matter how much their supporters believe in them or how much Ottawa spends.

The gun registry is a total joke. It is more about fleecing the taxpayer than any great concern about crime. I mean come on, who are the greatest criminals in the country? You got it...the federal Liberals!
    The inability to deal with the drug problems and the gangsters involved is typical of this government. They imported most of these criminals and nurtured the rest for their own criminal ends.
    The Mafia, the Angels, the Indian and Asian gangs, the Liberals...all the same.

Comment

A recent article in the Western Producer asked if we really needed an Agriculture Department in the Federal Government. It opined that farmers should take the accountability for profit into their own hands and run their farms like businesses. (Imagine farming without all that paperwork!)

I feel the same way about gun control with regards to my personal protection. Our firearms are legal and registered, but I don't expect anything from my government because of it. Just don't knock on my door after dark, and keep your darned free-running dogs away from my pastured chickens!

Comment

Careful there Elizabeth...you're starting to sound like an Alberta redneck!
        It is amazing how many people didn't register their guns? I did but I think three quarters of the farmers around me didn't...as they are always asking me to buy their ammo for them! Although apparently a lot of places will sell it to you whether you have a license or not!
        Definitely a classic government boondoggle which probably needs to be investigated? I mean how do you go from an estimated cost of $2 million to $2 BILLION? Got to be something very crooked there?
        But what can you say? That seems to be the MO of this government? Bring in totally unecessary laws to make the kooky lefy happy...and then use it to steal millions, or in this case billions! Business as usual? I wonder how much money they're going to make on the gay marriage deal?

Comment

with the crime rate escalating in rural areas, I am sure that property owners will arm themselves for self defense . Defending ones property and person with a stock cane doesn't lend itself to a person sleeping well at night if they live in areas where there is a lot of crime etc. Gun control is the biggest joke of all time, Edmonton has record murders this year and most of them with guns that I doubt were registered.

Better shut up or I'll have to register the stock cane !!!

Comment

Well I get a little leery when people start talking about getting a gun to defend themselves! Probably end up shooting the neighbors cow or something...if not themselves!
            A gun is a tool, just like a hammer or a chainsaw...it should be used for the purpose it is intended?
            Keep down the gophers, put an animal down, bring in the venison. Not go around killing people!
            Outlaws are always going to get guns. The gun laws just made the business more lucrative!
            Emerald: A good German Shepherd is going to deter just about every low life in this country! Not too many want to tackle a big dog.

Comment

Cowman: You are right about the big dog as a protection. My problem is that none of my dogs have ever been viscious. They all have been super friendly to people no matter what time of the day or night that they arrive.

I suppose that I could choose one of the more aggressive breeds but even when I had a German Shepherd IT was a *****-cat too.

In the meantime, I will just keep a loaded rifle in the house and live with the circumstances that could arise.

Comment

You keep a loaded rifle in your house?
                Hmmm, maybe we do need gun control!!!

Comment

cowman: I have had drunken riffraff arrive after 2:00 AM. Better to be prepared.

Also...With the high price of gas these days, bulk tanks full of fuel are an inviting target.

You might need gun control...but I don't.

Have a nice peaceful day.

Comment

I would suggest to you that keeping a loaded rifle in your house isn't the smartest thing to do, as well as being completely against the law? The law says guns and ammo must be stored in seperate locked cabinets. I hope you aren't a criminal wilagro? Maybe you just didn't know?
                    Don't know your situation but if there are any kids around you could have a tragic accident!

Comment

cowman: I have the complete set of regulations from both major changes to the so-called gun control act.

Rural operators can keep a gun handy for control of 'pests' alth'o it is not supposed to be loaded. I only keep 1 gun out as the rest are kept locked safely and cozily in their regulation cabinet. No kids around, just me, my dog and the occasional mouse.

No, I am not a crook but the feds made a lot of instant crooks with the asinine gun control act.

I know quite a few people who didn't get a license to own or possess firearms and of course did not register same.

I registered all of mine altho' it pissed me off because I was practically forced to do so.

Comment

Ouch, Cowman. An Alberta Redneck??? Heh heh. Red-Hen-neck.

Have to admit... I keep my .22 loaded with one in the chamber. Everyone in our adult family has taken the FAC courses. The off-the-record advice from the instructor was to shoot intruders to kill.

On our farm, the ability to react quickly to intruding predators has saved the lives of many ducks, geese and hens - even if I put a shot over the shoulder or rump of Wile E. Coyote or the stray dog of the week, instead of into the heart. While I respect the needs and intent of the law, I have a greater responsibility to protect my livestock, and my very accurate rifle allows me to do that with calmness and precision.

And what's that they say about an armed society being a polite society? I've often wondered how things like road rage would change if everyone was known to be authorised to carry a handgun. Would folks tend to think twice or at least count to 10 before becoming confrontational? It works in the natural world. I mean, who argues with a cougar, a grizzly or a skunk?

Comment

Canada's billion-dollar gun registry employs 1,800 bureaucrats, who spend their days tracking down duck hunters and farmers. By comparison, Canada hired only 130 additional customs officers to protect our borders after Sept. 11.

Here are a few more eye-rolling facts about the gun registry, mostly unearthed by MP Garry Breitkreuz from Saskatchewan.

Internal audits show that government bureaucrats have a 71% error rate in licensing gun owners and a 91% error rate in registering the guns themselves. The government admits it registered 718,414 guns without serial numbers. That means either the bureaucrats forgot to write them down, or the guns didn't have serial numbers in the first place. That's as useless as registering a vehicle simply as "a blue Ford Explorer."

* To these gun owners, the government has sent little stickers with made- up "serial numbers" on them, that gun owners are supposed to stick on their guns. And everybody at the gun registry is praying that criminals who steal those guns won't peel off the stickers.

* Some 222,911 guns were registered with the same make and serial number as other guns. That's not just useless-it's dangerous. If someone else with a "Blue Ford Explorer" is involved in a hit and run, you'll be the one getting a knock on the door by the RCMP.

* Out of 4,114,624 gun registration certificates, 3,235,647 had blank or missing entries-but the bureaucrats issued them anyway.

* In the beginning, the government's firearms licenses had photographs on them just like driver's licenses do. But after hundreds of gun owners were sent licenses with someone else's photo on them, the government decided to scrap photos on the licenses altogether, rather than fix the problem.

* Private details about every gun owner in the country are put on one computer database, called CPIC. That's valuable information to a peeping tom, or a criminal. The CPIC computer has been breached 221 times since the mid-1990s, according to the RCMP.

* In August of 2002, the gun registry sent a letter to Hulbert Orser, demanding he register his guns, and warning him that it's a crime not to register his firearms. Orser died in 1981.

* Garth Rizzuto is not dead, but he's getting older - he applied for a gun license 21/2 years ago. He hasn't been rejected. They're still "processing" his application.

* Some 304,375 people were allowed to register guns even though they didn't have a license permitting them to own a gun.
                          * On March 1 of 2002, bureaucrats registered Richard Buckley's soldering "gun". That's right, a heat "gun" used for welding tin and lead. No word yet on Buckley's staple guns or glue guns.

* Some 15,381 gun owners were licensed with no indication of having taken the gun safety courses-one of the main arguments for licensing. Despite the billion-dollar taxpayer subsidy, gun-owners must still pay $279 for the required licenses, registration, photo ID and other costs to register a single gun. That's as much as a gun costs in the first place. It's a tax – a tax on rural Canada.

* The government spent $29 million on advertising for the gun registry including $4.5 million to Group-Action, the Liberal ad firm now under RCMP investigation.

* But all of these follies are trivial compared to the central, unanswerable flaw in the gun
                          registry: Since only law-abiding gun owners will register their guns, how can the registry stop criminals?

Comment

This buddy of mine put his ball cap on sideways and wore one of those gag set of glasses with the big fake nose and mustache for his photograph! He sent it in thinking it was a great joke...was he surprized when they sent him back a license with this goofy picture on it! Incredible.

Comment

Hi friends, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent, Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent; Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)! In the state of Victoria alone,homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not! And criminals
                              still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.
                              There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this on the Canadian evening news or hear your Member of Parliament
                              disseminating this information.
                              The Australian experience proves it. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note Canadians, before it's too late!

DON'T BE A MEMBER OF THE SILENT MAJORITY.

BE OF THE VOCAL MINORITY WHO WON'T LET THIS HAPPEN IN CANADA

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...