• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crazy Highway!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Highway!

Were you travelling highway II last night? Bumper to bumper at 120 K! A whole lot of fun hauling a tractor on a trailer, as I was doing.
    Some of these people are completely insane! I saw one woman with three little kids strapped in weaving in and out of traffic passing everything in site!
    I think it is about time the province got real about the traffic problem and started building some decent roads instead of worrying about building more schools and throwing out more freebies?
    I sure can't see where high gas prices have got anybody off the roads?

Oberg is making noises about enforcing speed limits but don't see any evidence of it as I travel around the province. I did see a blurb on the RCMP website about their having a highway safety blitz on Highway 16 near Jasper. They ticketed 150 speeders, found 10 pounds of marijuana and some crack cocaine as well as meth as well as a few vehicles with no insurance or registration and one convict that was wanted on an outstanding warrant so it wasn't a bad idea.
    I am constantly amazed at the lack of concern some people show when driving. I see lots of older folks not signaling when they turn off a main highway which is pretty scary when you are sharing that road with some pretty huge vehicles that can't stop on a dime.

Comment

I travel that hiway between Ed and R D and it is insane I wonder where the photo radar is as it would be imposible to have enough cops out there writing tickets and I will bet other than big rigs at least 1/2 have an oil logo on the door .
      Yrs ago some companys put tattle tales on thier vehicles and if yours was over the speed limit to often you got the boot, what would be wrong with that as compared to the idea of a fishing trip at a checkstop.

Comment

Driving the Deerfoot in Calgary is just as crazy as the QE 11 !
        I drive the yellowhead into Edmonton often and it seems as though the drivers aren't qutie as crazy.

Not nearly as many Hummers; BMW's etc, in Edmonton.

Comment

Not only do the drivers act like they are in some sort of contact sport, there is an awful lot of road rage out there as well. Add cell phones, smoking and whatever else into the mix and it leaves you wondering why there aren't even more accidents than what there are.

Comment

The fatality accidents seem to be on two lane highways, at intersections where one party doesn't stop, or passing when its not safe to do so.

When I drive into the city in the mornings I listen to CHED because they have the best traffic reports and then I know where the fender benders are in the city and where there may be possible slowdown of morning traffic.

There are still numerous highways in the province that need upgrading. Some with blind hills, no passing lanes etc., and most of them have heavy oilfield traffic. I follow service rig convoys regularly in my area, their average speed is 60 kmh, and passing opportunities are limited due to the curves and hills on the highway.

Road rage is common Linda as are inexperienced drivers, many from other countries with no experience in winter driving. I take taxis a lot in Calgary and sometimes in Edmonton, and it never ceases to amaze me when drivers tell me they have been driving cab for three or four months, no winter driving YET !!!

Comment

We have a standing joke, (with MANY expletives) while we travel on our less than exciting roads (#16 is all 2 lane) in Manitoba and Sask that if anyone passes us (we generally travel just over the 100kph posting) they must be from Alberta. It is truly amazing the number that pass on curves, pass with oncoming traffic, or just plain exceed the speed limits by more than 20 or 30 kph.

Rarely are we wrong with our guess, and if we are, they're likely from Ontario.

Comment

disregarding highway safety is not something that Albertans should be proud of !

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...