• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rural community

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rural community

I agree with danm that the rural community has become a sought after environment, as an alternative to the city hustle. Also, I concur with jlamb that community can be defined in many ways, and that an individual can be part of any number of communities. Since the community building phase on the prairie, the notion of community has perhaps grown or matured in that we can be part of many communities if we choose. Also, we can put varying amounts of time and energy into the communities we belong to. At one time community meant much desired social contact, and even survival during hard times. Do we now view community as less of a necessity, and more of a luxury? I have heard people who live in cities say they haven't met their neighbors. Is society revisiting old values and beliefs by moving back to the land to belong to a community and experience the benefits of living 'away from it all'? I now wonder about the increasing technological advances. Will technology turn many of us into email community junkies, or will the opposite happen: will the ability to do more from home allow us the family time to better our home and district community contacts? Will more people slowly move to the rural environment because the need to be in the office more than a day or two a week is gone? Many small towns are increasingly becoming commuter communities demonstrating the desire by many for a simpler, slower paced life after work even at the expense of more travel time.

You wrote: Do we now view community as less of a necessity, and more of a luxury? I believe that community is as necessary as air or water. People are social creatures and have a great need for a sense of belonging. This has not changed and doubtfully ever will. People have more information available to them than ever before. That is no secret. I have to wonder if this fact doesn't create greater diversity among us. We may need technology to allow us, as people, to locate and communicate with others of similar beliefs or interests, who we can not find within our immediate geographical surrounding. The question that I would appreciate hearing some opinions on are . . . why do some communities of equal size, and similar industry survive and prosper? while others do not? What is different between these two types of communities? Look forward to your thoughts.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.