• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stop the theives, only with a prarie fire!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stop the theives, only with a prarie fire!

Fuel for the fire
    Ted Byfield - Monday,3 October 2005

Anyone who has driven through certain parts of Pennsylvania or Ohio during the last 10 or 15 years is struck by the bleak phenomenon known as the Rust Belt. Huge industrial plants stand abandoned; acre after acre of what were once bustling shipping yards are overgrown with quack grass; lawns and gardens once carefully tended are now dreary tracts of weeds--this is the Rust Belt.

It's what happens when changes in the national or worldwide economy take their toll. When the dirt-cheap labour of Asia came into direct competition with the heavily unionized labour of the northeastern United States, the result was the Rust Belt. In macroeconomics, nothing is permanent.

Every person I know who has visited mainland China in the last five years has come back with a warning that is of immediate and urgent significance to western Canada, particularly to Alberta. China, they say, will become the industrial giant of the 21st century. Half the big building cranes in the world are said to be at work in Shanghai. To safeguard its supply of raw materials while it develops its own sources, the Chinese government is buying heavily into North American resource industries. The clothes we wear, the home goods we use, even the computers we work with, come increasingly from Asia.

The implication is inescapable. The North American manufacturing industry will become less and less competitive. It will not be viable economically. So what will Ottawa do?

We are already being given the answer. To maintain the "balance" of Canada's economy--by which they mean to keep Ontario and Quebec on top--Alberta is going to have to learn to "share." Alberta, of course, has already "shared" something around $150 billion with the rest of the country. But that isn't nearly enough. Now we're going to have to really share. "Sharing" is what Canada is all about, except for Quebec. Being "distinct," it doesn't have to share.

We can therefore expect that within six months or sooner, federal legislation will be introduced forcing Alberta to part with its resource revenues. It will be portrayed, as it always is, as a duty to the nation. The Alberta government will try to oppose it. The bill will be passed regardless, and the next day the federal collectors will be in the offices of every oil producer. Much noise will naturally be made by the provincial government. It will fight this all the way. It will take its constitutional case to the courts, these being the same judges that the same federal government appointed. The "courts" in such a situation are a joke.

And what will Ottawa do with the money? The answer to this, too, is absolutely certain. They will use it to artificially prop up Quebec and Ontario industries that are no longer faintly viable. Soon they will close anyway, and the war chest that Alberta could have used to far better purpose will instead have been totally thrown away, wasted, squandered.

What should Alberta do with the money? There is no doubt about this, either. The one way in which we can meet the competition from China and other parts of Asia is by building, right here in western Canada, a centre for high-tech research and development that is unparalleled anywhere in the world. China may produce the goods. But they will have to look to Alberta to find the most efficient ways to do it. If we can achieve and hold that lead, we will survive the economic convulsion that is on the way. If we let the money go east, we will fail miserably.

How do we stop the federal thieves? Again, there is one way alone. As soon as Ottawa's intentions become clear--and that will be very soon--we should be ready to ignite, like a prairie fire, a separatist movement so lethal that it will make anything yet produced by Quebec look like a kindergarten exercise. We owe Quebec for this, by the way. Remember the "clarity clause"? We can now, altogether constitutionally, get out of Canada. If the Ottawa thieves see this, they will back off. Nothing less will stop them.

Well personally I hope Ottawa won't back off...then we can actually go through with it and seperate? I believe Ted is just a 'closet' seperatist who thinks we can act like Quebec and get away with it?
    It would have been interesting if during the last Quebec referendum, the people of Canada got to vote whether we want Quebec to stay or go? I think in the west we would have voted to get rid of them? The country would be a lot better off?

Comment

A cople of points to ponder the US already owns us and what they dont own is just a matter of time so not much left for the chinaman.
      We cant get people to work for reasonable wages here any more they all want the big money. We now have legislation to let our kids do the work no one else wants to do, but I think the chinese can undercut those wages to.
      The only way to compete is down in the trenches and it will take quite a wakeup pill to acomplish that, just think no more holidays in the orient not as many trips sking to jasper or banf ,mabey actualy cooking a meal instead of restraunt or all prepared ready in 10 min meals .
      I think that all this is just trying to be able to say see if they would have listened to me crap. It is in the peoples power to do something but we have become such a greedy lazy bunch that we will be brought down together.
      When !000$ a day oil patch and 60/70,000$ per 8 mo for teaching 250,000 dentists and so on does anyone realy need this much to live.

Comment

Well you could add the lawyers at $250/hr. or the surgeons at $1 million!
        The fact is someone willingly pays the oil consultant the $1,000/day and for that matter the lawyer $250 an hour?
        It's called the marketplace?
        A good oil consultant is worth every penny...some of these old boys can bring in a well when all the little college geologists say it can't be done!
        A good lawyer can also be worth his weight in gold?
        How good is the surgeon or the teacher? They may be very good or they may be worthless...but they all get paid! You can't compare someone in the marketplace to someone in a government job?
        I wonder if you think the management in oil and gas companies are idiots? Do you think they pay high priced consultants to do nothing just so they can spend money?
        Now $1000/day may sound high but is it really? What does it cost to have the cat or track hoe sit there for 8 hours?
        How much does it cost if you get the bit stuck down the hole? How much does it cost to drill a duster because the consultant missed the zone?

Comment

for what its worth, people in government jobs are only as good as the MLA's we elect. If MLA's have no idea what the bureaucrats are up to, and sit back and let them run the show, of course things will get out of hand. If you think that every cabinet minister knows what in heck is going on within his ministry you are very wrong. Many of them let their Deputies run the show, and the deputy's focus is on keeping his or her high paying job and to do so means keeping things under budget and making sure nothing embarasses the minister !!! Not much in that job description that indicates there will be any concern about how Albertans feel about the job the deputy is getting done or whether or not it makes one bit of common sense !!! There are many very intelligent people working for government, but if any of them have a good idea, somebody higher up the ladder will either claim the idea as their own or turf it as meaningless before it is given a chance.

Comment

another point that 'peeves' me is the people that are consistently making the most (or easiest money, or so it looks from here) are in the information processing,data,retail, money changers ,if you will.Those of us who produce the real energy for the world ,the food we all need,get the least.I'd like to see someone in the high rise office buildings chop their copy paper for salad and boil their lap-top's for soup!
            In life's most crude form,take everything away,oil,electricity,creature comforts,all that's taken for granted. With a cow or two, horse, plow and harrow, axe and hoe (don't forget the scythe),I can still feed my family and keep warm.The largest percentage of our population has no clue how to feed themselves or even where it comes from,if the drive through's and super markets were to disappear.The world today is totally dependant on what they can BUY,not what they can DO.

Comment

Your sentiments have been taken seriously in one part of our world madcow, Quebec!

Past provincial farm support programs in that province have had three dynamics to them that are unheard of any where else in canada.

Number 1, they reflect cost of production!

2, they are acerage based!

3, they where based on 90% of a skilled workers wages in that province!

All three of these are of course are unthinkable in other parts of Canada.

So in other words...what the teacher or nurse makes has an impact on the level of farm support! What a concept!

How do they do it? By speaking with one voice as an ag community and because of sleepy Albertans who send money to the feds, and then the feds funnel it through to Quebec!

Now you know what the CON stands for in CON-federation.

Comment

Ted Byfield is quite the rabble rouser. Ottawa hasn't proposed any take-over of Alberta's oil YET and already Ted is dreaming up a crisis situation.
                Coming up with hypothetical scare tactics is NOT productive and denotes a troubled mind.

Comment

wilagrow, what your comments reveal is that you just got here or you have a goldfish memory...3 seconds!

Byfield is responding to history as well as public comments made lately by people like the Ontario premier the prime minister and others.

Pay attention eh!

Comment

Wilagro: Well said. I agree 100% with your comments.

Comment

O wonder how a man who has been a staunch defender of conservative values, christian morals and the rights of Alberta, now suddenly has become a disturbed mind? Maybe he has alzheimers or something?
                      Or perhaps he is calling it like he sees it? And lets not forget the man isn't some kind of idiot but has accomplished more in his life than any of us here are likely to?
                      Now maybe he is wrong, or maybe he is right, but I guess he is evil for saying anything so radical as this? Maybe we should be branding him a traitor for suggesting such a thing?

Comment

Cowman: Byfield can cry wolf all that he wants, it makes no difference to me. Many times he comes across as a man with a cause that he has magnified so as to give HIM the opportunity to come up with a solution.

I will not be stampeded by his rhetoric or his perceived solutions for Alberta or western Canadians in general.

Many of his articles blame eastern Canada and the Liberals for most of our problems. I say that this is the easy way out and IS rabble-rousing in my opinion.

Comment

Well you are entitled to your opinion and only time will tell if Byfeld is right or wrong.
                          Rest assured that the majority of westerners still agree with you and obviously the great majority of Canadians do.
                          I think Martin is headed for a majority government next spring despite the continuing scandals of Liberal corruption and outright theft? When people vote for a thief they deserve to get robbed...just my opinion?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...