• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My old friend

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old friend

I have a guy who has worked with me for about twenty five years(I refuse to say worked for me). I never paid him a wage, per se, it was always done like a contract. Many times I tried to involve him in more of a partnership type of deal but he was always content to just work for me. We had a unique working relationship where there was no boss or employee. He could tell me to go to hell(and frequently did!) and there was always a lot of give and take.
    He had been having some problems for the last year with his stomach. A week ago he found out he had cancer.
    He is fairly philosophical about it. He never had any kids and he was divorced a long time ago. He doesn't intend to seek any treatment.
    He lives on the farm in a trailer so he will be close and we can take care of him. He was like another father to my kids and he definitely is my best friend...right from boyhood.
    We have always been close, sharing our thoughts on just about everything. We have a little further to go on our journey and I suspect we'll both learn a lot. I will sure miss him.

cowman don't write him off yet. Encourage him to at least go the holistic route vs chemo and radiation etc. I lost my eldest grandaughter to cancer nearly five years ago and our family will never be the same no matter how hard we try .
    It has been awful to watch what losing her has done to her parents, they go through the motions but are just a pair of empty souls.
    I wish your friend the best, and he is a fortunate person to have you there .

Comment

My best wishes for your friend.

Comment

...a person can tell from reading your posts that your friend is indeed fortunate to have you looking after him...and as emrald1 says hopefully he can find something to lesson the pain ...

Comment

Prayers and good thoughts for your friend, although he sounds like so much more than that. It is a blessing that he has people like you in his life cowman - that is what truly makes the difference - knowing someone is there, no matter what.

Comment

Well I'm going to cart him down to the "witch doctor" (herbalist) whether he wants to go or not! I sure wouldn't tell him to let the butchers have a go or take any of that chemo or radiation!
            He can be an ornery old bugger but so can I!
            If it works, it works? If it doesn't, it doesn't? He has lots of money as he is frugal and cheap and can squeeze a nickel until it squeaks, so that shouldn't be a problem! He said he wasn't all that keen on paying some quack for something that probably wouldn't work. I said well what in the hell are you going to do with your money...do you think we can pack it into the casket with you? He said "Well you have a point there!"

Comment

Cancer is a mysterious disease, some folks take every treatment in the book and end up in remission for years. Others have a mild type of cancer that just takes off and they don't last for very long.
              I spent some time at the Cross with my grandaughter and also a friend who had throat cancer. They do wonders there, but regardless of the amount of research and treatment I still think that the end result is in the hands of the Man upstairs !!!
              Every day that I am healthy, I could my blessings !!!

Comment

It does indeed appear to be a disease that is quite unpredictable in terms of how quickly it spreads and where it spreads to. In some respects it doesn't even seem to matter how "good" a life you lead. We just found out yesterday that an uncle of mine has inoperable colon cancer - actually, they opened him up and closed him without doing anything. They find out tomorrow how long they think he has. He was a pretty clean living guy - not a smoker at all, drinks a bit of wine and eats fairly healthily.

Much of it depends on your genetics and your family history. I too am grateful for every day I have on this side of the dirt -- especially on day's like today when the fall colors are so beautiful and the day promises to be a good one.

Mental state seems to also have a great deal of impact on how one battles the cancer.

With all the people that each of us knows that has cancer, I sometimes wonder just how close they are to understanding it and finding the various cures. I know they get closer everyday and they certainly can't stop the research. One day they will get there.

Comment

Mental state of mind certainly can has a lot to do with how individuals deal with various illnesses other than cancer. Astmatics certainly need to adopt a mind over matter attitude early on or they will let the disease control their entire existance. I see young parents trying to cope with asthmatic kids and terrified of letting them try and do things for fear they will have an asthma attack. Our mental state certainly dictates how we will deal with so many things, including coping with the trials and tribulations of being in the agriculture industry !!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.