• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rural community

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rural community

I'm interested in what other rural people think about the term 'community' today. More specifically, what has changed from the community buliding time period of, say, 75 to 100 years ago? In your opinion, as a rural person what is different in/about your community from when your ancestors lived in a rural area? Is there now a different meaning to the word 'rural'?

Living in a rural community now is a much sought after thing now from a city persons point of view especailly with children.The values still seem to be there,& everybody seems to look after one another.We have all the luxuries of the city ie power heat cable etc. A hundred years ago it was just survival you could have been snowed in for days now with the equipment around its pretty good living in the country.You have a walking trails all over the place years ago it was a way of life.I think the rural community has changed over the years but it has always stuck to its values.The city on the other hand has moved into high gear looking after there own & survival of the fitist. This is a really good topic lets see if we can keep it going!

Comment

Through technology and a greater broadening of our perspectives, I think most people are able to be members of several communities. Some are geographical, some are functional and some are topical based communities. Toronto or Torrington are geographical communities. But as a resident of either of these locations you can be a member of Agri-ville.com which is an online community about agriculture (topical) which people, share, learn and grow. This person can also be a student studying golf course management in Olds College or mechanical engineering at the University of Toronto which are communities of functional learners. In answer to your question there are benefits to rural there are benefits to urban and where you hang your hat is only one community of several - you can be part of. I have indicated that I feel community can occur in several ways geographical, topical and functional. But what consistutes community? 300 farmers coming together once a year for a convention is topical but is that community? 300 students spending 4 years together (living, eating, studying) to study crop science is that community? and what if that happens if this occurs over distance? ie. correspondence Do you need a hospital, post office, grocery store to have a community? Do you need commerce (defined as the ability to buy and sell goods) at all to have a community? What common threads hold communities together? If you do not contribute to the betterment of your community are you still a member? Hope I have not taken this conversation in a direction you did not want or anticipate. I guess I'll find out by your response or lack thereof. ;-) I think the topic is fascinating and I look forward to your responses and to this discussion carrying forward. Respectfully, Jory Lamb

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.