• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health Care Reform

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Care Reform

Have been listening to tne news reports on the Klein announcement regarding changes to our health care options.

It is going to be interesting to see the feedback from Albertans.

Emrald, I only managed to catch part of it, what are the "highlights"?

Comment

Patients are going to be able to pay for ENHANCED services such as better quality hip replacements etc.

Apparently there is a move toward what individuals pay for prescriptions being geared to their income.

I am not really clear on a lot of it but the above were ones that really peaked my interest.
      I am anticipating an outcry from the opposition, Friends of Medicare etc. I think that Albertans need to make themselves aware of what is being proposed before it becomes legislation.

Apparently the Federal Health Minister has indicated he is not prepared to step in as long as it appears that the waiting lists are being lessened and Albertans access to health care is not in jeopardy.

Comment

This move is something that a number of people have been dreading, as you have alluded to. It would be interesting to see how they anticipate handling the bottle necks that will likely occur at some point as those who are willing to pay will see wait lists as well. Granted, they may not be as extensive and prolonged as the ones we now have, but even more expensive or enhanced services will only be able to handle so many patients in a day. That also brings to mind questions as to how quality will not be sacrificed in the name of getting it done quicker and the fact that there is money to be made.

I would also like to see in place some sort of mechanism whereby if you opt to go and pay for it yourself, you do not get to come back into the public system for whatever it is that you are paying to get done i.e. if you got to get a hip replacement at one of these enhanced places, you do not get to hedge your bets by having your name on two lists. You opt for one or the other, not both.

It will be interesting to see just how many people get informed about the issue.

Comment

My concern is that if individuals choose the ' higher end' hip replacement with all the bells and whistles will those be done in public health care facilities and will those paying for the enhanced service be at the front of the que ???
          Medication costs pro rated according to income really bothers me. An individual may have a higher than normal income but if they do have a chronic health condition they may be expending a lot of resources in order to live any quality of life.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...