• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aboriginal Rights

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aboriginal Rights

Here goes with a topic as hot as same sex marriage ! What are your views on aboriginal rights and whether or not the Province should amend legislation retarding metis hunting rights etc.

Resource companies and others wishing to develop in certain areas of the province are encountering issues regarding aboriginal rights, and how to deal with these complex issues.

It is too bad that the private land owner couldn't have the kind of "rights" the Indians seem to have? When the oil company comes knocking can you keep them out?
    The fact is, in this country, the Indians are treated differently than other people. Is this right? Do you believe that EVERYONE should be treated the same?
    Or is it like the book "Animal Farm"? All are equal...only some are more equal?

Comment

metis rights are currently under review cowman, and it is going to take governments with lots of B-- to make any changes.
      I think a lot of mistakes have been made in the past in dealing with the native population but some things need to be changed.
      I look at the young people on the reserves with oil revenue, they get huge chunks of money when they are 18, and many of them don't make it to their mid twenties.

Comment

Does anyone know when an Indian status or a metis status is lost??? I was once involved in a focus group that was working on developing an aborigional policy for a company. We had a representative from the native association give us a presentation where he told us that some of his children were metis and some were native. These children were all born from the same mother and father. I asked him why some had metis status and some had Indian status. His answer was "you declare what is in your heart".
        That was all he would say. Sometimes I wish I could declare what is in my heart.

Comment

I think that Indian status depends someewhat on which Teaty is involved. Treaty 8, for instance guarantees all treaty indian bands that are signatories the right to clean water, clean air, good government as long as the rivers flow etc. ( I wish the rest of us were guaranteed good government !!)I was of the understanding that children of treaty indians are guaranteed the same rights but I may be wrong.

Comment

I should add that reserve lands are owned by the federal government, however, the treaties were with the Queen ( Victoria) which is why first nations people wanted an audience with the queen to discuss what they perceive to be a lack of honoring the treaties by the federal government.

Comment

My understanding is also that the reserves are owned by the Federal Government to which the monarchy assigned all assigned lands. Why then do the reserves get huge amounts of royalty dollars for the minerals???

Also on another note--I believe that the natives lose their Indian status if their mothers mother was not a status Indian but the metis keep their stsus forever.

Comment

Status Indians that can trace their ancestors back to those whom signed their respective treaty are also treated differently than emmigrated Indians. I would have to read up to refresh my memory on the entire deal.

Comment

I am trying to learn the difference between a Metis Settlement and a Reservation. I know that Metis are not considered Treaty but they do have some rights .

Comment

I think all people of Scottish descent should get treaty rights! After all look how bad the English kings treated us?
                    Grassfarmer and myself will be right there with our hands out! LOL

Comment

No they never conquered our country Cowman. Besides we have the natural advantage of moral and intellectual superiority so we don't need compo ;o)
                      (Just the view of a typical well balanced Scot - equal size chip on both shoulders!)

Comment

wow grassfarmer, and here I am part scottish and never realized that I had all this intellect !!!! Mind you the other half is IRISH, so that may detract from the brain power somewhat.

Now watch the irish folks take me to task !

Comment

Or maybe all the Scots agreeing with you! LOL

Comment

you sound in a lot better humor this evening cowman, your early posts sounded pretty grumpy !!!!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...