• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Land developement

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land developement

Last week the municipality hosted three meetings to get input on where they want to take land planning. I attended one of these as I am a bit concerned that they might take first parcel out away.
    The planner(Harry Harker) ran a good show and trotted out the idea of a new type of developement, which consists of basically a new self contained hamlet concept. Personally I thought it was one hell of a good idea but the general opinion seemed to be very negative! Apparently the county intends to "propose" the first of these type of communities in a project called "Timber Rock". It will be situated east of Red Deer and will tie into Red Deer sewage and water. The initial phase will involve 800 lots and I believe they think about 4000 people.
    I told Harry it makes sense, as the land in question is basically to rough to farm, but I also told him he can expect one hell of a fight from the farm families that live there!
    He sort of gave me some assurances(?) about first parcel out but also told me somewhere in the future I probably had a valid chance of a multi-lot subdivision! And while we have not agreed on somethings in the past, I have always respected the mans abilities and his vision of where we might be headed. He also has led a fascinating life, from Vietnam to the merchant marine! And yes he is/was an American...but I don't hold that against him!

Got to add something. Harry told me you wouldn't believe the number of requests coming into his office for subdivisions and development. He said his staff can hardly keep up! I didn't realize how much business they are handling and thought they were just another out of control beuracracy! He told me in the last week they had 65 requests for subdivisions, building permits, business proposals...all of which require research, investigation, tweaking and decisions! ...Sort of an eye-opener for sure?

Comment

GEEZ, cowman, I am pleased to hear that you realize that planning and development departments do a lot of work, in fact any planning and development department will be cost neutral or on the plus side as taxable assessment increases within the county.
      As far as the growing your own hamlet goes I support that concept 100%. Tying into municipal services and creating communities is smart growth planning, vs ad hoc subdivisions, country residential parcels scattered all over the county amid agricultural operations and onsite sewage systems that half the time aren't working properly.

Glad you put your two cents worth in at the meeting, all to many taxpayers sit at home and B--- without finding out the facts.

Comment

Cowman, did anything else get discussed at the meeting that you were at? Unfortunately, I was unable to attend any of them as both of us have been sick with some sort of flu that is persisting into it's 6th day now.

I would like to get more involved as this progresses and have been keeping a diligent eye on what is going on around Sylvan Lake as I believe that will be a precedent for all municipalities in the future. Granted, Sylvan Lake impacts 8 municipalities so there is much more input needed there, which will not be the case, for the most part here in Red Deer County. Having said that though, it will be very important for the ratepayers of the county to get out there and be heard because decisions that could have long-term impact could be made with a minimum of input.

Comment

Linda: After the "hired consultant" gave her little propoganda speech we split into working groups of about six people each to discuss various aspects of land use. One of the people in my group was from your area and it became fairly evident that east and west had fairly different views(if the western person actually represents the people out there)! The desire of the eastern bunch was for more developement while the western voice wanted a lot less!
          In addition to the "Timber Rock" proposal(a model for the future) the planners also talked about revitalizing and expanding existing hamlets. Dixon, Markerville, Spruceview, Lousana and Elnora. They also touched on Glennifer, Sylvan and Pine Lake. These three lakes are all slated for major expansion by the "new hamlet node" as proposed for "Timber Rock".
          I believe Harker sees the future. I think he is going to get a very rough ride with this idea...might be ahead of his time a bit on this one? But I also believe he pretty well has it right?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...