• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ed Stelmach?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed Stelmach?

There was a little blurb in one of the local papers about how Ed Stelmach is running for Ralphs job as premier. Reading the article I was a bit concerned?
    He says "Alberta needs to bolster it's image as a generous province that hands over billions to the other provinces" ! I guess that means what? Business as usual with no end in site for the money drain?
    Liked his stance on health care...a mix of private/public service...but basically the Klein philosophy?
    Sort of a vague ramble about BSE? We should support the war on Terror more and we need to find other markets. Again the Klein blather?
    The one thing I totally agree with is Stelmachs ideas on transportation...more focus on infrastructure and making the Port at Prince Rupert more functional.
    Then the real kicker! He defends the Conservative record as being fiscally responsible and wants to stay the course!...Well that pretty well says it all? Is this guy a Ralph Klein clone or what?
    I wonder what Dinning thinks?

cowman, the rumor is that Ed is a red herring, or he is as you say, Ralph's choice as a successor.
    I sense a lack of trust in Dinning in rural Ab. The feeling I hear is that he is far too polished, oil patch driven, knows nothing about agriculture etc.
    I like Ed, know him personally, and think he is honest as the day is long. The fact that he is a farmer, has been his entire life, and is a former Ag Minister certainly gives him the basic understanding of the industry.

I am not a fan of Oberg and Norris is just a big lump of fluff in my view.....again, he knows nothing about life in rural AB.

This summer the real candidates will be out in full force, attending every goat roping and county fair in the Province so anyone wanting to meet them and hear what they have to say will certainly have the opportunity.

Comment

So I assume Ted Morton isn't in the race? Personally I liked him about the best because he was the only one who really spoke up for the rights of the average Albertan?
      I suspect Dinning is the chosen son of the party elite? The fact is he was the real push behind the "Klein revolution"?
      The original "Klein revolution" was a good idea in my opinion. Cut costs and get government out of business! Unfortunately, when Dinning left, the Klein government fell back into a tax and spend mode and a lot of sizzle but no steak?
      Ralph is probably one of the best politicians we'll ever see? He has a keen instinct to cater to the rednecks, while being almost totally inept! I guess that is modern politics?
      However, I do believe, we need a good manager instead of a media clown, if we hope to move forward in this province? Dinning has a proven track record as a competent manager and businessman?

Comment

We should not underestimate Ralph. My wifes uncle was a City Commissioner when Ralph was Mayor and worked closely with Ralph on an ongoing basis. According to him Ralph was very capable and an excellent Mayor of Calgary. Kleins folksy style should not be mistaken for a lack of political ability.

Klein ruthlessly consolidated his power within his own cabinet after taking over from Getty. The downfall of that there is now no obvious successor to take the leadership position.

Comment

Cowman, heard on very good authority yesterday that Ted Morton is running. HE isn't going to get the leadership thats for sure but he could sure be a king maker for someone else and force whomever is the successful candidate to implement some of his ideas. I personally am very impressed with Ted, he is down to earth and certainly no slouch at understanding issues.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...