• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roads

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roads

In my municipality the roads really took a beating this year due to a lot of conditions. One was the added oil field activity, for sure, but also farmers catching up on the work they normally would have done in the fall. Harvest was late and things like applying manure and fertilizer just never got done, as well as selling grain and hay? Then there was a big push to get it done.
    My local grader operator told me the complaints were so bad the county has committed a lot of money for extra gravel and extra hours for the graders.
    The drilling rigs are at it fast and furious and on some roads the traffic is pretty thick. Millions of dollars going into farmers pockets right now, at a time when they sure can use it?
    Supposed to be over one thousand wells drilled in this county this summer.
    Talked to one driller who spent the winter at Dawson Creek. He said it was unbelievable the amount of activity up there! He rolled his truck in January and said there was a two month waiting list just to get into the body shop! Told me he was getting $800 per twelve hour shift, but got sick of never having anytime to spend it!

The oilpatch is booming all across the country. Some of the older wells are being reactivated somehow to get more life out of them.
    In this area a large lobby group has been formed to attempt to bring about more stringent regulations for the sour gas side of exploration due to the proposed activity in close proximity to populated areas.

Comment

emerald: Sour gas is pretty scary stuff! What is really scary is our idiots in Edmonton couldn't care less as long as the money train continues to roll into the station!
      The recent drilling for sour gas in the Calgary area is basically a disaster waiting to happen! The EUB likes to say they are right on top of things, but in reality they are a paper tiger with no real claws! They have so few inspectors that the whole thing is a complete joke?
      The clock is ticking and it is only a matter of time until we have a real wreck and a whole bunch of people die!
      Talked to a farmer about a month ago...he had a sour gas leak that killed about six calves. When the oil boy came around, the farmer told him $1,000/calf! No argument...just a signed agreement he wouldn't divulge the secret to the neighbors! Welcome to the Alberta advantage?

Comment

The Pembina Institute is joining with a group of local residents to lobby for changes to sour gas regs in populated areas. They have already met with the Chairman of the EUB.

Comment

What would happen if we asked all these people - EUB and oil companies included - to come and move themselves and their families to within a mile or 1/2 mile of one of these sour gas wells?

If they are deemed to be so safe, why don't they come out and live beside one? Kind of walk the talk if you know what I mean - leave the big mansion in the city and deal with what the average person has to. (Sorry, I'm just having a pithy day today for some reason.)

Comment

Linda, many of the employees in industry do live in the communities where sour gas exploration is taking place, this is also the case for many employees of the EUB.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...