• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Queen Elizabeth II Highway

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queen Elizabeth II Highway

I don't know how many of you are interested in the monarchy, but I am really pleased to hear that the Premier has announced that Highway 2 from Edmonton to Calgary is going to be renamed the QE II Highway. The signs will be in place so the Queen can see them on her trip from Edmonton to the Edmonton International Airport on Wednesday when she leaves to fly to Calgary.

Thankfully the dear lady is to be spared driving over the roughest sections of the highway or she might reconsider allowing it to carry her name !!!

So now instead of Highway 2 it's QE2? - isn't there already a ship by that name? Sounds very regal and proper but I can't see the public taking to the new name.

Comment

When traffic is heavy they could just call it the Queue. If that phrase that catches on I want credit. LOL.

Nice gesture.

Comment

YUP, the Premier is to announce it in the Leg when the Queen visits there on Tuesday, and the signs will go up immediately.
        I think it is a very nice gesture to commemorate the Queen's visit and the Centennial. In fact I think it is a breath of fresh air after what we have been treated to in Ottawa last week.
        So here's a trivia question: Howmany named highways are there in the Province ?

Comment

I wonder how much this little adventure might cost? Probably only a few thousand?
          The days when we need this dead weight are long gone. The queen should stay at home in her own country and we should toss out this garbage we call the governor general as well. They really are nothing more than government waste.

Comment

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH cowman !!!! I agree with the Governor General issue but not the Queen. Sure it costs but its a breath of fresh air compared to the cost and conduct of our elected politicians don't you think ?
            The cost to rename the highway is only going to be in signage, and advertising.
            Some traditions are good to hang on to I think, of course I was brought up by a mother that had every clipping of everything she could get her hands on about the Royal Family.

Comment

Symbols are very important, whether in business or government. Canada's connection to the Royal Family is important for symbolic reasons, for the historical ties it represents, for the national identity that it helps shape. The cost is small, cost/benefit ratio would be positive.

Comment

I agree with cowman!!!!!!Seems to me we are 21 years old and should be able to act as adults and assert our own rights and values!!The idea of being subserviant(sp) should have gone out with some `tea in the harbor`!!Why won`t Canadians defend their rights more vehemently......because they are PROUD to be serfs of someone else!!! Makes me want to puke!!!!!

Comment

cropduster, we are not serfs. The Queen is a figure head. Remember we are a sovereign nation..as Martin clearly told the US when they indicated that they will be firing off their missiles when and if they choose !!!
                  If you think we are subservient because we honor the Queen, just wait and see how subservient we are when we try and tell Uncle Sam not to send missiles into our SOVERIGN air space !!!

Comment

If they want to rename the highway, so be it, I don't have a problem with that.

I don't even have a problem with the Queen being the figurehead for us. You're right emrald, this is a breath of fresh air during a time when the stench of things couldn't get much worse.

The cost of the Queen's visit though is far more than just a couple of signs. We are footing the bill for a whole lot more than that, like a couple of huge get togethers in Edmonton and Calgary, the costs to fly Prince Phillip to Syncrude, additional security, staying at Jasper etc.

This is an historic event turning 100 years old, so celebrating in a big way should be the order of the day. To those who get to see the Queen, my hat is off to you because that is something special.

Comment

Linda, the trip to Ft Mac. is on the government jet and don't you think that Boutillier takes it home on the weekends anyway ? Our provincial fleet of aircraft is costing us several million a year whether they fly or not so they may as well be in the air.
                      I view the centennial and all associated costs as part of our opportunity to enjoy and celebrate our marvelous province. Every little community across AB. has some sort of celebration going on this year, and also many provincially funded projects are on the 'go' across the province that will add or enhance facilities for years to come.

The address tomorrow at the Legislature is history in the making, marking the first time a reigning monarch has addressed a provincial legislature during session.
                      Boutillier and Melchin will be off with Prince Philip but Peter Lougheed and Don Getty will be sitting in their seats, Helen Hunley, the only living former Lt Governor is going to be attending as well. It is a happy time for AB., and we do have a lot to celebrate here.
                      I guess if we were throwing a lot of money around and really couldn't afford it I would have a different view. But, what the heck, its once in 100 years...
                      its good for the young folks and many of them will have this memory in mind when the 150 year celebrations are held.

Comment

farmers_son, I neglected to mention that you and I may not agree on politics but we do agree on the monarchy.
                        Sooner or later we may even agree on politics.....!!!!

Comment

So Emrald, are you going to be partaking in anything regal whilst the Queen is here?

I'm not especially fond of big crowds so watching on the telly will be good enough for me.

I am ambivalent about whether the money is well spent. I can agree on all your points and think that there is some real significance to all of this. Certainly when the province's 150th birthday rolls around we will be visited by a king, which one remains to be seen. What would make me happier is to see a similar amount spent on things that we really need like adequate care for seniors, a few less hungry children etc.

For now though, let's celebrate!!

Comment

Good points Linda, but remember many of our seniors came from a time when royalty was very special so they too are likely enjoying watching all the celebrations .
                            My only near encounter with the Queen is wending my way down Stony Plain Rd. bright and early tomorrow AM so as to get past the Museum prior to the road blocks going up. Only one lane traffic both ways after 7:00AM until 2:00 PM. !!!
                            Just watched the official welcome to Edmonton on TV, rain really spoiled a lot of it. Some of the entertainment wasn't able to perform to their best because of wet stages etc.
                            Ian Tyson's performance was not aired because his contract would not allow it....
                            Ralph and Colleen Klein looked pretty dapper and chic riding in the antique car. I think that this will be his swan song but I could be very very wrong.

Comment

Emerald....reread your post.......we are not servants then we are,which is it????I know you`re trying to address different subjects but why don`t you just say you hate Americans and love the Queen.Thats what I`m getting.....I`m not saying you have to LOVE either simply be respectful of the MORE successful!!!!Sure is amazing how some people could/can/did build a world power from nothing.Sounds more to me like these poor little jealous Canucks can only throw negative criticisms rather than get off their duffs and be successful too!!!!Waaahhh WWaaahhh.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...