• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Queen Elizabeth II Highway

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said that the Queen is a figurehead. We are not subservient to any nation, or ruler. However, having said that everyone with one ounce of intelligence should realize that if the US decides to test missiles over our air space they will regardless of what Martin says does.
    Any insinuation that I hate Americans is wrong and I certainly resent it. You will never see me say I hate any nation, I may dislike the actions of some leaders including our own but I do not hate them.

Please do not put words in my mouth !

Comment

Emrald - it was a shame that rain spoiled so much of the festivities today. You would have thought that organizers would have covered the entire stage the way they did at the back. After all, this is Alberta and there very well could have been 6 inches of snow on the stage. Mind you, I suppose it might have been easier to get rid of than the rain. Still you have to give kudos to those hearty souls who did brave the weather to catch a glimpse of royalty.

With any luck, this will be Ralph's swan song.

Comment

Emrald1: I don't know if this is Ralph's swan song. This is the official start of Alberta's birthday celebrations and I think Ralph will be a big part of that. After that maybe.

However, I do not think the Queen will be back in Canada. Could be wrong about that but that is my sense as I believe Queen Elizabeth is 78 years old. The Queen Mother lived to be 100 but certainly people have to slow down as age catches up to everyone.

Comment

farmers_son, I think you are probably right . This trip must be gruelling for the Queen. It is amazing to see how much stamina she has. She certainly doesn't have time between engagements to have a cat nap back in her hotel.
          I think that Ralph will decide to step aside this fall.....he didn't seem overly enthusiastic yesterday....looks like he is putting in time. I could be wrong though, but to many of us who have watched him since he came on the scene this is not the old Ralph.

Comment

Heard today that the cost of the Queen's visit was approximately 2 million, or about 6 cents per Canadian.

Compared to the sponsorship mess, I would say that I got my 6 cents worth, just looking at the smiles on people's faces when they got a glipse of her.

Comment

Emrald...SORRY to get your dander up about the `hate` word...too strong I guess....Please tell me then what a `glipse` is?Guessing that`s only 6 cents worth of a view or is it something like `gyped`?????Find a higher hill to look from!

Comment

of course I meant glimpse.

Comment

Most of the sponsorship money went to thinks like making sure the Canadian flag was visible in Quebec. The flag is a hugely important national symbol. The Americans know this better than Canadians do. Other important national symbols in this country include the Royal Family, RCMP not forgetting the Musical Ride, certainly the military includes a symbolic function, Parliament Buildings, even the CBC. There are many, many more.

It is unfortunate that apparently there was wrong doing with sponsorhip funds but would people have preferred that the government did nothing about Quebec separation. Whether we are talking about our flag, our Queen or any other of the national symbols that Canadians feel a special pride for, they all are part of what keeps us together as a nation.

Sure these things cost money but it is an investment.

Comment

I don't think anyone would have had a problem with sponsorship if there wasn't so much graft in the program. There were many of us angry with the apparent dismissal of the corruption by high level Liberals as being a small percentage of the total. As if we should accept that our members of our government will steal only a small (?) percentage and that should be OK if the larger percentage went to a good cause. Personally, all I think it shows is contempt for the taxpayer and a tolerance for corruption. Instead of holding our elected leaders to a higher standard, we should expect them to steal a small (?) percentage if they spend the rest on keeping the country together. If we continue to let government to get away with graft, then maybe our national symbol should be a banana with a $ on it. Maybe a hand with a Liberal symbol on it taking the dollar.

I apologize for the tangent on this thread, but I couldn't let farmer_son get away with trying to sugarcoat the Liberals actions again.

Didn’t get to see the Queen, but I’m glad she made the effort to come to Western Canada.

Comment

Certainly wasn't trying to sugar coat anything, just keep it in perspective.

For factual information regarding he Gomery inquiry check out http://www.gomery.ca/en/

Here you will find up to date transcripts, rulings, schedules, very complete information.

Gomery will make his recommendations public at the conclusion of his mandate. At that time the Canadian public be able to draw their own conclusions about the extent of the wrongdoing and the involvement of government as opposed to individuals.

Comment

Will they ever separate though or continue to threaten to do it? Does anyone know if they have any plans for apres separation? As far as I can see, it is all smoke and mirrors.

Certainly our elected leaders should be held to a higher standard and they should be expected to walk the talk, not just give rhetoric.

Was stuck trying to get onto Deerfoot yesterday when the Queen was leaving Calgary - not fun.

I hope that all who managed to catch a glimpse of her were pleased they could do so. I think it was great that some young people got to present her with flowers etc.

Some of our Canadian symbols have been "watered down" in recent years and I believe that it is important that we sustain what makes us uniquely Canadian and proud to be one.

Comment

my two cents worth are this: Less than 50% of the sponsorship funds actually made it to the intended target...
                          As far as spending vast sums of money to keep Quebec in Canada is concerned, I do not agree with it.
                          Spenting tax dollars to provide government programs for Quebec and all provinces is one thing but spending just to buy allegiance to the Maple Leaf is dumb dumb dumb.

How that compares with the Musical Ride is something that you are going to have to explain farmers_ son. As far as I know the Musical Ride is a national symbol known around the world....
                          I would think you would be hard pressed to find many people outside Quebec that can tell you why they want separation if indeed they do. I think that Duceppe is willing to work within confederation, and likely if the Liberals were gone he would end up being an ally of the rest of Canada..albeit he would certainly look after the interests of Quebec as is his mandate.
                          Obviously if the Liberals don't win many seats in Quebec in the next federal election, all their sponsorship money will be spent in vain !!!

Comment

Linda, I was walking on 107 Street just north of the Legislature on Tuesday immediately after the Queen did her walkabout on the Leg grounds. There were throngs of people walking back from there and I spoke to several of them, from little tykes up to seniors. They were thrilled, said they would remember it for a lifetime!

I think that the Queen's visit was a breath of fresh air and injected something positive into what has been a very negative last few weeks in our country.

Comment

Personally I resent my tax money being spent on frivolous things like the sponsorship foolishness or a visit by some old useless foreigner! Fix the darned roads, support commerce and provide a fair justice system! In other words, give us good government?
                              I do not think it is important to provide "symbols" for any country? Especially when the "symbols" are in reality all about central Canada and not the west? We can't even grow maples in western Canada and yet that is the symbol on the flag?
                              I do realize that a lot of people think we have something worth saving here and that is their right,but the fact is this country has really gone wrong somewhere along the road and we need to reform the whole set up? Reinstating the rights of the provinces would be a good first step?

Comment

cowman....I HAVE maples in my yard. The leaves turn a beautiful red in the fall...and look as lovely as any maple in the east !!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...