• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They say if you live long enough

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They say if you live long enough

You'll see just about everything if you live long enough and I think this morning we have done just that. Belinda has crossed the floor to the Liberals and has picked up a cabinet post in the process. What backroom deals were struck to have this happen?

It's a constant sense of amazement as to what money and ambition will do for you. I suppose in one sense she won't do any worse than Jane Stewart did while she was in the position.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse......

What a fool though, losing the little political credibility she had for a few weeks as a cabinet minister. It'll be kind of tough explaining that to her boyfriend Peter McKay!!

Comment

Conservative Stronach joins Liberals
      Last Updated Tue, 17 May 2005 12:34:10 EDT
      CBC News

OTTAWA - Belinda Stronach, who ran for the leadership of the Conservative party in early 2004, has crossed the floor to the Liberal party and will sit in Paul Martin's cabinet.

The millionaire businesswoman becomes minister of human resources and skills development, the prime minister said Tuesday morning. She will also help the Liberals implement the recommendations in the Gomery report on the scandal-plagued sponsorship program when it is delivered later this year.

Stronach's defection could keep Martin's minority government in power as it faces two key votes on its 2005 budget Thursday.

"After difficult reflection, I reached a conclusion," Stronach told reporters in Ottawa. "I cannot exaggerate how hard this was for me, but the political crisis affecting Canada is too risky and dangerous for blind partisanship."

She also said Conservative Leader Stephen Harper is not sensitive to the needs of all parts of the country, and is jeopardizing national unity by allying himself with the Bloc Québécois.

"The country must come first," she said.

Stronach said that someday, the Conservatives will grow and strengthen to become a worthy challenger to the Liberals. In the meantime, she thinks her place is with a party that is more responsive to the needs of cities, women and young people.

She also said she is looking forward to tackling the Gomery recommendations when they are presented.

"Only when the people of Canada have renewed confidence and faith in the systems of government can we return to economic prosperity."

Stronach, 39, is a small-l liberal who has not always been comfortable within the Conservative ranks, especially on the issue of same-sex marriage.

Last week, she said it would be unfortunate if the Liberal government fell before the 2005 budget was passed because it contained measures on municipal funding that were of great importance to her constituents in the Toronto-area riding of Newmarket-Aurora.

The former president and CEO of auto parts maker Magna International Inc. lost the Conservative leadership race to Harper in March 2004.

Stronach's father, Magna founder Frank Stronach, ran unsuccessfully for the federal Liberals in 1988 when John Turner was leader of the party.

Stronach said she broached the matter with former Ontario premier David Peterson, who is a family friend, after running into him and his wife at an event in Toronto last week.

Peterson, a Liberal who led a minority government in Ontario in the 1980s before winning his first majority, spoke to her at some length before arranging conversations with federal Liberals and eventually the prime minister.

'I can count,' Martin says of budget vote

The alliance with Stronach could keep Martin's minority government alive in two key budget votes expected Thursday.

Her defection from the Conservatives gives the Liberal-NDP coalition on the budget a total of 151 votes, not including Speaker Peter Milliken, a Liberal MP who votes only in the case of a tie.

The Conservatives and Bloc have a total of 152 votes.

There are three Independent MPs, one of whom, Carolyn Parrish, has said she will vote with the Liberals. The other two, Chuck Cadman and David Kilgour, have not said which way they will vote.

"We still don't know whether the budget will pass or not, [but] I've got to tell you, I can count," said a visibly pleased Martin, calling Stronach a "gutsy" new part of his team.

In the June 2004 election, Stronach beat Liberal Martha Hall-Findlay in her riding by 689 votes.

Martin said Hall-Findlay, who has already earned the Liberal nomination for Newmarket-Aurora for the next election, has agreed to step aside in favour of Stronach's candidacy.

Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Lucienne Robillard had been leading the Department of Human Resources and Skills Development since mid-January, when former minister Tony Valeri was shuffled to handle the immigration portfolio.

Robillard will now be intergovernmental affairs minister only.

Pressed on how her decision will affect her romantic relationship with Central Nova MP Peter MacKay, the deputy leader of the Conservatives, Stronach called that a "personal matter" that she did not intend to comment upon.

She also said she had the "greatest respect" for MacKay.

Comment

Didn't surprise me one bit. She wants power, and when she didn't get it in the Conservative party she obviously was cutting a backroom deal with Martin which shows she has no loyalty to anyone but herself.
        The vote on the 19th could be a tie then the Speaker would have to vote and he is a Liberal !!
        Stronach cited Harper's lack of leadership ability as her reason for crossing the floor.
        Things will get nothing but worse if this government withstands the vote on Thursday. Stronach has no clue what its like to live in the real world so she will fit in nicely with the Liberals.

Comment

Here is who we are talking about.....

Its not what you know, its who you know....

What a soap opera!

Belinda Stronach timeline:

1966:
          Belinda Stronach is born.

1985:
          Drops out of York University's business school after one year.

1988:
          Becomes a member of the board of directors of Magna International, the auto-parts giant started by her father.

1990:
          Marries Magna executive Donald Walker. The couple would later have two children.

1995:
          Divorces Walker. Becomes a vice-president at Magna.

1999:
          Becomes an executive vice-president at Magna. Marries Norwegian speedskating champion Johann Olav Koss at a ski resort in Colorado on New Year's Eve.

2001:
          Replaces her ex-husband as CEO of Magna. Meets and becomes friends with former U.S. president Bill Clinton at a charity golf event.

2002:
          Fortune magazine places Stronach at No. 2 on its ranking of the most powerful women in business outside of the U.S.

2003:
          Divorces Koss. Plays a role in the backroom deals to form the Conservative Party of Canada.

2004:
          Comes second in race for Conservative Party of Canada leader; wins in a close race to represent the riding of Newmarket-Aurora.

May 17, 2005:
          Prime Minister Paul Martin announces that Belinda Stronach has joined the Liberals as the new human resources minister.

Comment

I am totally appalled at what our country is coming to. Ottawa is totally overrun with corruption and opportunism of the politicians who are supposedly running this country on our behalf. How much corruption is too much? Gomery uncovers hundreds of millions of theft and we reelect the Liberasl, does that mean billions isn’t too much, tens of billions? Every time we reelect these crooks, we, the citizens of Canada are saying, “good job keep up the good work of stealing, dithering and spending us into oblivion with re-election vote buying”.
            Belinda just epitomizes the self serving political garbage that we call our elected representatives. Ontario and the likes of Belinda Stronach may feel that there isn’t quite enough corruption in government now, but I most vehemently disagree. If we don’t kick out a corrupt party from office at the only time we have an opportunity, (ie. an election), then how do we say “enough is enough”?
            I have had enough. Being a long time supporter of federalism and Canadian unity, I am devastated to say that if the Liberals win the next election, I will no longer consider myself a federalist, but will side with the people I used to think were the whackos who were trying to break up my country. If Quebec thinks they can make it on their own sucking multi-billions of dollars out of the rest of us, then Alberta should have no problem whatsoever.
            It is outrageous to think that the Liberals are trying to tell us that not voting for them will somehow cause the breakup of the country, when I think exactly the opposite is true.

Comment

If you recall Stronach took an increasingly large -- and visible role -- on policy issues such as the opening of the U.S. border to Canadian cattle.

Stronach even won the respect of Rick Pascal who was quoted as saying "One thing Belinda does know is business. She recognizes good farms and well-run businesses and commented on the cleanliness and that kind of stuff. I was impressed." According to the Globe and Mail, Mr. Pascal still has Ms. Stronach's phone numbers and calls occasionally.

Stronach made it clear she did not support Harpers zealous quest for an election. Stronach was elected in 2004 by a slim margin of just over 700 votes. Given the policies of the Conservative Party since the election it is doubtful whether Stronach would have won an election this time around in a Toronto riding.

I think her move to the Liberals was very shrewd. Stronach has surrounded herself with top people who she can afford to pay for out of her personal fortune and it seems as if she is getting her money’s worth when it comes to getting good advice. I do not believe many people were wanting an election at this time and were willing to wait for the Gomery Report before deciding the quilt of the Liberals in the Quebec scandal. In any event it has been less than a year since the last federal election. The Conservatives lost that election and since then are not making any friends with their unholy alliance with the Bloc. Whether or not Stronach’s move across the floor to the Liberals is enough for Martin to win a confidence vote on the Budget remains to be seen but when there is an election later this year Stronach will probably win by more votes then she did as a Conservative.

I think Stronach made a gutsy move and I have more respect for her having made it.

Comment

..are you serious farmers_son...

Comment

"The Conservatives lost that election and since then are not making any friends with their unholy alliance with the Bloc."
                  Give me a break, what alliance. Liberal propaganda. If we hear that lie often enough, maybe everyone will believe it. Maybe the fact that they both oppose the unprecedented level of corruption demonstrated by the Liberals lately makes them allies? As far as not wanting an election, suck it up, we obviously need a new government, more than any time in Canada’s history.
                  I never said Stronach wasn’t smart. I do, however, question her integrity. She was bought, plain and simple. And the so-called hidden agenda that we keep hearing about should be out now, since she was an insider in the conservative party. When she doesn’t expose any hidden agendas maybe that propaganda will be exposed for what it is. Smoke and mirrors designed to fool the people into voting Liberal again so the corruption can continue. If we don’t vote these guys out, its like opening the vault to bank robbers. The theft and corruption will just increase if they are never hauled to the mat in the only way the voter can strike back.
                  Therefore, shame on Belinda. Political opportunism at its ugliest. I think she sees only too well the corruption that is so obvious to me and many others who follow Gomery. She has decided to ignore the thievery because she sees that the polls show that the Liberals won’t be kicked out, and she can belly up to the pork barrel and help herself, just like the rest of those crooked Liberal pigs “we’ve” elected.
                  What shocks me the most is the spin doctoring that goes on. No matter how corrupt the government is exposed to be, we can’t take a chance on anyone else, because …lie spin spin lie. Give me a break, I think at this point, even the Rhino party could do a better job of running the country than the liberals.

Comment

One thing that really ticks me off is the fact that dear Belinda and Martin chose to announce their nuptuals and literally overshadowed the arrival of the Queen in Saskatchewan. Of course Martin was there front and centre to greet the Queen, and Goodale seemed to pop up in front of the camera like a whack a mole everywhere during the welcome to the Queen. The Prime Minister should have let the province of Saskatchewan have the limelight today it was their day and its their centennial celebration.

Comment

And to add to my rant, it sounds as though Bush is making noises about the jobs lost in the US due to the border being closed....if there are bets on who has the most clout as far as the border getting open, my money is sure on Bush vs BELINDA !!!

Comment

Yes, I am serious.

No, I do not think an heiress to a multi billion dollar fortune can be bought.

It is not that unusual for politicians to cross the floor. David Kilgour was a Conservative who became a Liberal who became an Independent. Joe Clark refused to join the new Conservative/Alliance party preferring to sit as an Independent and came out in support of Martin before the last election saying the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t. PC leadership candidate Scott Brison crossed the floor and joined the Liberals saying “"The PC party – the party I grew up in – no longer exists.” Years ago Alberta MP Jack Horner crossed the floor from the Progressive Conservatives to take a Minsters portfolio with the Liberals. In 2003 Robert Lanctot, a Bloc Québécois MP quit his party to join the Liberal caucus. It happens.

There is a list of MPs who changed party affiliation from 1867 to the present at:
                        http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/people/house/HofCChange.asp?lang=E

Comment

What a slap in the face to long time liberal backbenchers who were small "c" conservatives. That Belinda switched sides to further her own ambitions does not come as a real surprise. The fact that after less than a year as a sitting MP she gets a cabinet position is somewhat of a surprise and a real snub to those who may have been more deserving (and that is said with a grain of salt) of a cabinet post.

It will remain to be seen if her ambition outstrips her ability, however short-lived it may end up being. The people who voted for her and supported her in her recent nomination may feel somewhat differently.

If you look at recent polls, in Ontario, the Liberals are back at 43%, with the Conservatives at something like 31%.

I agree emrald - the votes now stand at 152 apiece with the 2 independent votes being the deciders. Can you imagine the wining (or is it whining) and dining that will be going on there. In the event of a tie, it will go to the Liberals.

I understand where farmers_son is coming from in what he says - may not agree, but in some respects it does make sense from a business standpoint - the moral and ethical standpoint is a whole other kettle of fish!!!!

Comment

Belinda Stronach is a true Canadian....part of the eastern power block? Liberal? Conservative? Doesn't really matter, just as long as they serve the "national interest"?
                            I view this defection as a very positive thing as maybe it will finally wake some people up to the fact this country just won't work!
                            I wonder how this latest little deal will play out in Quebec? Obviously Martin and his gang are pulling out all the stops to remain in power...for the "national interest"? Do you think your average Quebec voter will be cynical of this move and see it as a blatant attempt to thwart their desires? What about the west? Do you think your average western voter will feel the "fix" is in?
                            Now that Stronach has defected to the liberals, how long until the smear campaign starts? A smear campaign of Harper and in a bigger sense of Alberta? Will the Ontario voter buy it...again?

Comment

farmers_son, Last week Belinda was beaking off about Liberal corruption. This week she joins them. She may not be able to be bought with money, but she did get a cabinet post in the Liberal government. Bought and paid for, 'nuff said.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...