• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equalization payments

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equalization payments

Alberta sends 9 Billion dollars to Ottawa annually, and gets nothing back in the way of equalization payments.

Martin headed over to Ontario last week and passed out ????? Billion, now Alberta is asking for the same deal.

Do you think that ANNE's seat in Edmonton is worth some promises of equalization payments ????? I know where I'll place my bet !!!

The mindset of the people in Edmonton who vote in the Annies of this world is no different than the people of Toronto who vote in the likes of Jack Layton. They are so dead against anything that smacks of individualism or free enterprize or smaller government that it would be impossible to vote for a Conservative type party. Usually, one way or the other, they rely on the government tit to feed them. Why would they kill the goose that lays the golden egg?
    I can almost guarantee you that the Liberals will come out swinging at Alberta in the upcoming election? Try to get the Ontario voter scared into thinking that Ralph Klein is calling the shots for Harper and the Conservatives? The best thing Ralph could possibly do is get out some duct tape and place it firmly over his lips for the next couple of months!
    Martin is going to have a battle on his hands without a doubt this time! He will have to shift the focus from the fact he leads a complete den of thieves to a scare tactic campaign about hidden agendas etc.? I suspect the rhetoric will exceed anything we have seen so far in this country and it will polarize this country like we've never seen before?
    And yet even with all the scandals, the crooked ways of doing business continue? Reg Alcock's appointment of one of his top campaign workers to a $100,000 plum at the CWB illustrates just how corrupt this gang is?

Comment

Ralph has indicated several times that he is going to campaign vigously for Harper this time around, but as you say cowman, it might be best if he confined his campaigning to working behind the scenes. The spectacle in Parliament yesterday was disgusting. How Layton can face the voters when he has sided with the Liberals is beyond me.

Comment

It seems to me politics is changing thanks to media manipulation. Tony Blair and his bunch of crooks got re-elected recently thanks apparently to an Australian "expert" who came in and managed the spin for the campaign. Blair won by getting 36% of the votes out of the 60% that bothered to vote. The day after the election the spin doctor was back on a plane to Oz leaving the people of the country to live with the consequences. That's not really how democracy is meant to work is it?

Comment

grassfarmer the spindoctors are tripping over themselves in this country readying themselves for the election here if and when it happens. I cant't understand how intelligent people can vote according to what they are fed in the media vs making themselves aware of issues and voting with their own common sense.

Comment

Grassfarmer.....be thankful dissenters like yourself aren`t lined up...SHOT.. and put in a ditch..that`s how an extreme option other than democracy works.When enough people get together to say "Enough`s enough"then things will change!

Comment

The media spin is truly going to play a factor in the election - put the antics of the kindergartners out in front of the people and they will vote based on emotion, not on what the party will or will not be doing.

Take a look at the spectacle unfolding now in parliament. Both Martin and Harper have sunk to new lows with what they are flinging back and forth. To use illness as an excuse for anything is deplorable and shows what these so-called leaders will stoop to in order to try and gain an upper hand. Is it desperation on Harper's part - I don't know but it is a testament to how bad things have become. What a joke we must appear to be on the global stage, not to mention how fed up people are at home.

Cropduster, even though it might get me "hung for sedition" I say get rid of the whole works of them and let's start over. None of them get to try again. Look at Broadbent's here today and gone again tomorrow tactics. Sigh, I guess some things will never change.

Comment

I think that Kilgore has really hit th jackpot in low antics. Why hasn't he been yelling at the top of his lungs for the past year to ensure that what he considers ample aid has been sent to the Sudan, instead of using blackmail tactics at this point in time. We need to have a foreign aid policy that clearly indicates what type of aid and how much is available and where the priorities are. The last couple of weeks Martin has been throwing money around like a drunken sailor and most of it is not in the budget.....
                No Prime Minister, regardless of what party he comes from should have the ability to make deals to spend monies outside the current years budget.

Hopefully the Gov. General will force an election and get this show on the road before our credibility gets any worse .

Comment

Spin doctors or no spin doctors Martin and his bunch of bums are history. Now I wish I was more confident about the replacements then I am, but then as I have been told quite often am I am just old and cynical. Harper may just be an awesome prime minister, god even an idiot like Cretien was able to be prime minister for quite a while(seemed like an eternity to me) Time will tell but like they say a new broom sweeps clean and it will have lots of sweeping to do to clean up this mess. We have to get rid of a lot of the top bureaucrats as well or before we know it will be back in the same corrupt mess as before.

Comment

cakado you have "bin-conned" by the CBC and CTV spin doctors.

Harper was reacting to the fact that the liberals were actualy phoning around in the sick MP's ridings trying to find out just how sick these men are.

This made Harper angry and he had every right to respond the way he did. The main stream media did not tell the whole story as usual!!

Comment

Ed Broadbent will refrain from voting on the 19th to balance out the missing Conservative MP.
                      The Conservatives may pick up some support in NS and Nfld, due to their attempt to amend the budget to allow the resource revenue to flow to those provinces even if the budget is defeated, but of course they were not successful in their attempt.
                      Harper and crew have got to walk on eggs if an election is called, they cannot afford to get bad press due to any foolish comments or conduct.
                      I don't think that Harper is ever going to be a great statesman, but he might make a passable PM,if he gets the chance.

Comment

Ed Stelmach is on the hunt for money from the feds similar to the windfall that Ontario got last week. I hope he makes a lot of noise, no matter which party wins if there is an election. It is time we plugged the pipeline of money to Ottawa and started a reverse flow of dollars back to AB., where hopefully it would be spent in infrastructure to keep this province on the move.

Comment

The point is that this gong show has got to stop and the lows that ALL of these players are stooping to are very hard to believe. One of the political analysts was saying that there hasn't been as much muck racking in parliament since the flag incident in the 1960's. I'm too young to remember that or more is the point - be aware of politics.

Why is it that the average Canadian is more embarrassed and upset about the goings on than the elected?

Emrald, I don't want a passable PM, we've had that (and less) for far too many years. What I would like to see get voted in are people who will make a difference and most importantly, stand behind what they say they will do. The very fact that the Conservatives (or Reform or Alliance - whatever you want to call them) are cozying up to a group whose sole aim is to separate from Canada leaves me very concerned indeed. What will they have to do in order to keep the Bloc happy? That thought alone is enough to give one nightmares for a very long time (or until the minority is toppled).

If people thought there was no clear choice a year ago, what are we to think now?

Comment

Linda, I am positive that all thinking Canadians want a Prime Minister that is a strong leader. The obvious corruption of the Liberals is far worse in my opinion than anything that could transpire with the Bloc. We don't really know what the Bloc wants, but we do know that another minority Liberal government is going to result in another election in a year and we cannot continue to spend millions on elections and not get the work of government done.

Harper hasn't had a chance to show us what he can do, and I for one am willing to take a chance and see what he is made of, vs having another round of Martin and his crew. Layton is going to try and force the issue on social programs, some of which I do agree with, but the mere fact that he would choose to prop up a crooked government by deal making makes him look very suspect to me. Did the Conservatives and the Bloc have any choice but to band together to attempt to defeat this mess....I don't think so. They have not publically been touting any DEAL like the Liberal/NDP's have, nor have the agreed to blackmail like the Liberal/Kilgore shambles !!!

Comment

First of all Quebec has not seperated from Canada and most likly never would...we pay them to stay in CON-federation.

Also remember this, Harper LEFT Reform early on because of differences with Preston! His view of how a confedeation should work is behind his approach to the bloc because he, and they, would like to see less federal intrusiuon in things provincial.

You must beware cakado that the national media will, at every opportunity spin as bad an image of Harper as they can. First because he is conservative, second because he is from the west, third because he would be a threat to the gravy train.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.