• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plant a crop?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant a crop?

With the prices offered for crops grown in 2005, are we best to grow ones that may breakeven and chemfallow the rest? On our farm that would make chemfallow on 64% of our land. Is this senerio better than losing money on close to 2/3 of our land?

Have to run ALL the numbers. When I include my land costs that still have to be paid, machinery payments that still have to be made, property taxes that will still be charged, I'd have to lose a fair bit on the crops I plant to make it cheaper not to plant anything at all. It's not clear to me yet which way will win out. I think seed dealers must be biting their fingernails about now waiting to see how much seed will be returned or not picked up.

Comment

It is no question this will be a interesting year, but not plant a crop? I don't think it will be that bad just yet. I think canola will be a good wild card pick this year. But when there is a rally, lock in a % of production. I read a good quote the other day "production pays the bills, marketing makes the money". This will definitly be the year that this will apply.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...