• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef anyone?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef anyone?

I decided that the grain only boy's need to take a break charlie and Lee so the question for you today is what would you today do with 200 6-7 weight feeder cattle considering the drama that is ongoing, todays action included.
    Sell them now based on the thought the r-calfers may try and get boxed beef stopped too.
    Hold them to see if this new court action does the trick.
    Or hedge your bet and move a portion of them now and some later on.
    Just want to see if your as bright on bovines as grain.

Sell the steers to buy shares in producer owned packing plant,and,one box of cotton balls(for ears)so as to reduce the whining from others that simply want to wait for the gov`t cheque.

Comment

Sorry,meant to say sell the steer half of the group,keep the heifers(if you`ve got grass).

Comment

Sell them to the R-calfers.

Comment

Lifer
          Thanks dough head last time I checked the R calf guys are on the other side of the border and the livestock is on this side hence the small problem which is currently facing the beef industry, I sure hope before you grow up your dad sells to the neighbors because with your apparent level of intelligence your parents might as well have the money from the land rather than letting you lose it. Give your head a shake.

Comment

Mcfarms, your thinking too small, no-one else on the planet eats beef? LOL

83% of Canada's trade is with the US. Every commodity could potentially face its own BSE in the future with a number like that given the temperment of the US. It was inevitable, it was just beef that got hit first.

The question you may ask yourself, what are you going to do with next years calves when, oops; too pessimistic, if, things don't change.

Comment

adjust..........
              however the other obvious question is
              have the other commodity groups in Canada learned from this mess, The beef groups CCA and ABP were not prepared in any way for this they had been living in a dream world.

Have the other groups been talking to our customers around the world and have what if scenarios in place, the trade barriers of the 21 century are not monetary they are sanity and phytosanitary. I sure hope there are some forward thinker representing us in other commodities. I haven't been overly encouraged by some of the different groups reps at times. There are a few that are awake and looking at worst case scenarios but not enough I fear.
              I hope this will wake them, back in the fall I asked a question at a local ABP meeting along the lines of this and if ABP had learned anything from this say for example a case of a foot and mouth being found in Canada.
              The wise and knowing answer I got back was "Yes we have a plan in place with CFIA to deal with infectious diseases in Canada we have the plan to stop all movement within the infected area"
              Which left me knowing they hadn't learned yet that you can do all you want in your country but if you haven't done the groundwork and developed protocols with your trading partners a little local quarantine might help you stop the problem but that trade route takes a lot longer to reconnect.
              Hence the situation we now face in the beef industry hopeful it isn't the same in all other commodities too, because their phytosanitary and sanitary troubles will come too.

Comment

The other big thing to learn is don't rely solely on the US for trade. Market development in other countries is very important and should ideally be the bulk of exports. Neither beef nor commodities are where they should be, but beef is worse off in that regard. Where is the ABP and CCA's plan for more diverse trade?

PS, you were kinda hard on Lifer. It is never small potatoes taking personal shots, farmers have enough on their minds.

Comment

actually mc some of the r-calfers have been buying up here again so it may be they owned some of your calves in the past and may well do do again.

Comment

some of the other commodities have had there threats. but the reoccurring problems like pigs and cows and wheat in the us seem to always be there cause they are selling into a market with strong competitors. and yet they seem surprised when it happens?

Comment

I singled him/her out because lifer has shown in the other posts here that he has nothing to add to the discussion here and I don't believe sarcasm and stupidity has any place in here there's enough in the world already and I would prefer that this site be one of positive proactive attitudes not dumb asss comments intending to do nothing more than make some punk wise ass feel smart.
                      So when he comes on with intelligence and rational discussion(ala farmers son, incognito and others) I'll answer kindly and respect his viewpoint until then I'll smack him down as I feel fit.
                      Theres enough against us in this industry without negativity like he brings with his nonsense.

Comment

One other thing I never said I personally had livestock left to sell I just figured it would be an interesting discussion in an area that seems grain fixated to throw another commodity into the mix here and see with what the present situation is some of the thinking was going on out there, Its easier to judge the current of a river if you throw a stick in first.
                        Thanks for the comments though.

Comment

I may have not added anything intelligent in some people's judgement, fine. This does not mean I do not have anything to add.

It is good to be careful about coming to conclusions too quickly on anything.

We allowed ourselves to become too dependent on one customer. One very selfish customer.

Have we learned anything?

A number of people are on the right page. Work to market our product elsewhere. Bring our reliance on the American market down.

Ten years after the border reopens are we going to still remember these learnings.

Comment

Mcfarms question for you.

How long do I have to put my head in an oven for it do be fully done? I wouldn't want it to be half-baked.

Comment

Charlie or Lee

If either of you would do me a kindness and please remove my last post directly above it would be very appreciated.
                              Thank You

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...