• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The End of Suburbia

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emrald1, I'm shocked on your attitude to this. When you always speak of our need to conserve water resources in other threads how can you reconcile that with your attitude to oil use?
    Fossil fuels are a FINITE resource, by ignoring this fact civilisation as we know it will come to an end when it runs out. What gives North America the right to use up 80% of the WORLDS oil resources in a timespan of less than 150 years?
    I'm disappointed I though you were a person that believed in sustainability.

Comment

grassfarmer, get off your high horse !!! Like many people who not only farm but work FULL TIME off the farm, I drive the vehicle that suits my needs, just as I am sure you do.
      As far as conserving fossil fuel goes, a good driver can conserve fuel in a larger vehicle just by good driving habits....not exceeding the posted speed limit, not revving the vehicle at ever stop light like the FONZ etc !!!
      The gas mileage I get in the vehicle I drive is at the top end of what the manufacturer advertises...so I must be doing my part to conserve fuel.
      I have all energy efficient appliances in my home and use a wood heater in conjunction with my gas furnace.
      There are many ways we can conserve....and look after the world we live in. I would no more criticize you for your choice of vehicle than I would for your choice of banker....that is your personal business. Anyone who knows me can tell you that I have been involved in numerous environmental projects,and still am.
      If my comments regarding the vehicle I drive being my business offended you, tough !!! I have agreed with many of your comments on this site and disagreed with some, but certainly do not consider it my place to judge you....

Comment

I'm trading in my Impala for a Ford hybrid Escape. i hope more people buy the hybrids.

Comment

I am not very familiar with the models of hybrid vehicles that are available, Deb, is there a significant purchase price difference between a hybrid and a regular Escape ?

Comment

Emrald1, I wasn't critisizing your choice of vehicle or your right to choose what type you drive rather pointing out that the current fossil fuel use in North America is unsustainable. The fact that the US Government created the "van" as a means to circumnvagate long standing policy of improving fuel efficiency in general was a disgrace. Fuel consupmtion is getting progressively worse in North America, not better and that is unacceptable. The wasteful practises seen in Alberta were an eye opener to me - the guys that leave their trucks running for 40 minutes while visiting neighbours in the summer.
            Simple solution put gas up to $1.50 a litre and see how quick people smarten up.
            Your low fuel consumption is only relative Emrald1, I had a roomy 4 door diesel car in Scotland that did 50 miles to the gallon. Why accept these vans and SUVs that only manage 12-15 miles to the gallon?

Comment

Isn't more of the problem the fact that urban dwellers, who rarely if ever, leave the city driving these gas guzzlers? City driving uses up way more fuel than a commute that encompasses highway driving. Idling in the city waiting at traffic lights with the A/C on isn't the most efficient way to use fuel. How many of these people have SUV's because it is more of a status symbol (lost on me I'm afraid) than a necessity (as it sounds in emralds case.)

As far as hybrid cars go - Toyota has been advertising the Prius for almost a year now and they are finally rolling off the production lines - or so I understand.

There is one point to ponder - with fossil fuels closing in on $1/litre, it is making renewable sources of fuel like biodiesel all the more attractive. One of the primary reasons that alternative fuels have not found their way into the mainstream is the cost to produce them - over $1/litre. Might just be that we see more of these coming on line in the near future. The best part of that is it would use up things like canola etc. and create rural development because it is my understanding that the plants that manufacture alternative fuels have to be within about 150 kms of their source.

Comment

I wasnt trying to single out anyone but it seem to me that if I could produce a usless product out of oil and still make a profit I would be considered a good business man .
                I have had numerous time that an oil co needed a signature and had someone drive 250 miles from calgary to get it. With all this electronic gadgetry why burn 50 gal gas and probaly $1000 to get sig it realy dosent make sence.
                By the way emerald1 you bet I would take thier $1000 per day if offered but that dont change the fact it is an absorbitent amount.

Comment

I'll let you know next week what the price difference is, Emrald.

My sister bought a Prius and she absolutely loves it. Mileage around 60 miles per gallon. It is so quiet and efficient, she says.

Comment

I still maintain that how a vehicle is driven makes a huge difference. I drive a Durango with a big engine in it and average 20 MPG. Now, I drive mainly highway miles and know if I were driving in the city as Linda says, the mileage would be significantly less. During my time in Calgary it was an eyeopener to stand at the corner of 5th and 5th in the morning waiting for the lights to change and just observe the various SUV's !!!
                    I keep my vehicles in the shop in the winter and don't heat the shop. Plugging in tractors and vehicles with a timer, makes a lot more sense .
                    Horse, oil company wages certainly seem ridiculous, but I can tell you that my son makes what sounds like a lot of money. He is currently 60 miles north west of Red Earth, hasn't been in his own home since February 7th. This is his choice of vocation, but believe me being a good oilfield consultant isn't just a cakewalk. The consultant takes the heat for everybody's screwups.
                    A family friend just retired last year at the age of 76. He started as a rough neck, worked his way up to Field supervisor back in the glory days in the 'patch', then went consulting. I guess the company that he worked for felt that experience like his was well worth the $1000 bucks a day.

I live in a resource based area, and it boggles my mind at the money in all these communities. There are certainly are social problems associated with the affluence.

Dependence on fossil fuels isn't the answer, but neither is taking our water for granted.
                    The depletion of the watersheds across the province may be a more serious concern than the depleted oil and gas reserves.

Comment

How we drive our vehicles sure does make a difference. No rabbit starts, coasting to a red light, keep tires properly inflated, take the sand bags out of the trunk in spring, keep the engine well-tuned and all that good stuff.

I imagine the water shortage (partly due to the disappearing glaciers as well as less precipitation) might happen at the same time as the decline of fossil fuel. Eek!

Comment

While we are discussing conservation, I have to mention the solid waste issues that are facing municipalities all across the province and beyond.
                        Landfills Authorities are faced with the increasing cost to process solid waste, and the fact that many landfills are nearing the end of their productivity. Siting new landfills takes years, and of course no-one wants to live beside one, and who can blame them, since land in the vicinity of landfills is sterilized for development.
                        The agricultural industry produces a lot more solid waste than it did years ago. Many municipalities have bylaws that prohibit burning of any type of plastic, so that means that all twine, bale wrap, silage bags and silage bale wrap must be landfilled or left to rot on the farm. I think that farmers are great recyclers though, mostly through necessity.

Comment

While we are discussing conservation, I have to mention the solid waste issues that are facing municipalities all across the province and beyond.
                          Landfills Authorities are faced with the increasing cost to process solid waste, and the fact that many landfills are nearing the end of their productivity. Siting new landfills takes years, and of course no-one wants to live beside one, and who can blame them, since land in the vicinity of landfills is sterilized for development.
                          The agricultural industry produces a lot more solid waste than it did years ago. Many municipalities have bylaws that prohibit burning of any type of plastic, so that means that all twine, bale wrap, silage bags and silage bale wrap must be landfilled or left to rot on the farm. I think that farmers are great recyclers though, mostly through necessity.

Comment

So much of this waste is caused by praying at the false alter of GDP. The pursuit of increasing "Gross Domestic Product" is the thing that Governments and economists strive for - our businesses and industries are set up to produce it.
                            In truth Gross Domestic Product is simply a measure of how quick we can exploit resources and convert them to garbage. It's no coincidence that as our natural resources are being depleted water, oil, gas, woodland etc our landfill sites are being over filled. What a stupid wasteful society we are.

Comment

grassfarmer I would be very interested in hearing your suggestions on how we can change the direction we are going .

Comment

Emrald1, Can I suggest you read the book "When Corporations rule the world"
                                by David Korten? - I have learnt so much from that book - too much to retain in my feeble farmer brain. It's not the simple Corporation bashing book the title indicates but rather a very deep thoughtful book on things that affect us all as human beings in this modern world. Your local library will stock it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...