• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ontario rally 8000 strong

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ontario rally 8000 strong

‘One Voice March’ is 8,000 strong at Queen’s Park

TORONTO – “Ontario farmers sent a clear and unequivocal message to the Government of Ontario when more than 8,000 of them rallied at Queen’s Park March 2,” says Ron Bonnett, President of the Ontario Federation of Agriculture (OFA).

Organizers of the ‘One Voice March’ are “so grateful to Ontario farmers for coming out in such strong numbers,” Bonnett says. “Their presence reinforces the message farm leaders in Ontario have been taking to government for so long.”

During the rally, representatives of various commodity groups, general farm organizations and individual farmers related the realities facing farmers across the province. Peter Tuinema, speaking for the grains and oilseeds sector, said without an immediate cash injection, farmers won’t be able to plant crops this year.

Larry Skinner, chair of Ontario Pork, speaking for the red meat sector, said “we are being over-regulated to death,” as he spoke of regulations under the Nutrient Management Act, Source Water Protection legislation, and other government initiatives.

Mark Richards, a crops producer in Kent County, speaking as chair of the Canadian Young Farmers’ Forum, said “it’s appalling that we have to come here to demand the respect our government owes us.”

Martin Lang, a crops producer from Glengarry County, asked “what’s wrong with our government that it can’t treat Ontario farmers as good as Quebec treats its farmers?”

Rally organizers will be meeting members of the Liberal Rural Caucus March 3 to discuss the issues and solutions that are needed, Bonnett said following the rally.

Just a bit of my opinion grassfarmer. Heard lately that the lines have slowed a bit at Cargil and Tyson due to the first tight supply of fat cattle we have seen in Canada in two years. Boxed beef trade is still hoppin for those multi boys, so lots of the current kill is still heading south.

BIC has spent a load of producer money convincing retailers to promote and make some innovative products out of cow beef. Maybe the first time this money is paying back a bit for producers if cow prices continue this trend.

Anyway. Cow kill capacity is up, UTM is moving south in a box, and more retailers, restaurant and counter, are moving cow beef.

Time and patience will move us out of this mess and on to a very bright future for the industry in Canada. Harvest capacity would certainly speed this up, as prospects for offshore markets are looking more and more lucrative every day.

Comment

...gosh darn it anyway...sold my culls a couple of weeks ago...didn't figure the price would move much because of the yanks otm rules... anyway good to see the price is headed in the right direction...

Comment

Boys...surely you don't believe the prices we have been receiving for cows has anything to do with market fundamentals.

If the price of cows is 10 cents higher than a couple of weeks ago all that means is the packers were paying 10 cents less then than they are now. They could have paid 10 cents more before but they chose not to.

Certainly looks like it may be some time before live cows can go south so until such time as that happens or until Canada builds sufficient slaughter capacity I think it is an excercise in futility to try and apply supply and demand fundamentals to what will still be a non functioning market.

The simple truth is we still do not have a functioning marketplace for any cattle, much less cows. The price of cows is what it is because that is where the price has been fixed.

Comment

farmers_son... with the bullcrap us ranchers have been goin through these past two years...I welcome any increase as somewhat positive...

Comment

Gencor Foods in Kitchener have had to start lining up fed cattle for slaughter because they can't get enough culls to keep the line fed with people holding for the border. Also there are rumours that Levinoff is moving to Ontario and building a cull plant in the Guelph/Kitchener/Waterloo area.

Comment

Although the turnout was great, there were no reps from the OCA who could be bothered to speak at the rally. The beef and dairy people who are suppose to represent the beef and dairy people of this province just couldn't be bothered enough to participate in the rally. What kind of message does that send to the beef producers in the province of Ontario. Albertan's complain about the ABP, Ontarian's complain about the OCA. Can anyone tell me what we're paying these idiots for.

Comment

Oooo Oooo Oooo...me next. And here's the kicker! OCA wants to raise your checkoff dollars $3 per head (to a total of $5.25) for all that fine hard work they put into representing you! Ahahahaha...Don't you just hate OCA?

Comment

We are in a non-functional market farmers_son, but there must be some short term affect (supply or demand) in order for the price to jump. Buyers didn't suddenly just feel like giving 10 cents away on every pound!! It could be speculations, but it still would be created by some demand driven incentives.

Comment

With those prices I expect supply will quickly fill demand.
                    My neighbor across the field from me told me last week he could only pay me about 40 cents rail. If he paid more than that he might as well just buy it in boxes.
                    After looking over his new Harley, I noticed he had just changed his price for lean ground from $2.29 to $2.49.
                    Now,I don't begrudge him the new bike,as he works too much.Longer hours than most anyone I know. But don't feed me bullsi about any more than 40 cents being to much.
                    Bottom line is,he realy wasn't interest in talking about cull cows, as he was well supplied at 40 cents.

Comment

OCA were there, and they WERE loud, at least until the province threw a few pennies at deadstock and abbatoirs at the end of last week.
                      Amazing how cheaply some people's silence can be bought.

Comment

Heard of a load of cows sold to XL going for 50 cents on the rail earlier this week. We're moving the right direction anyway.

Comment

Just got the local paper delivered and saw where the R-calf boys have been successful (on the short term, I hope).
                          Headline "Gates Shut Again - no cows get out Monday". Wayne Easter doesn't seem at all pleased with the decision. Hopefully he's mad enough to get the message to Washington or are they madder/and more stubborn because of Canada not going along with the missle defence scheme? What do you think this will this do to the recent price increase of culls?

Comment

Cattleman: You may well be right. However when we consider the packer’s captive supplies the notion of supply and demand driving live prices becomes harder to accept. When I see price increases of 10 cents per pound almost overnight I tend to think something other than changes in supply or demand would be behind it. Could be driven by trying to squeeze a competitor…

We have only to remember how the packers dropped the price of fats on the same day as the Federal Government announced the first BSE support program in 2003 so that the packers could capture the government subsidy for themselves. That had nothing to do with supply or demand. Also, prices increased when the packers were under government scrutiny for price fixing.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...