• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Feeding and Calving Cows

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Feeding and Calving Cows

I farmed my herd out for a couple of winters and also for calving, but have them at home this year. I am interested in hearing if anyone has some ideas on the various cost arrangements out there for this service.
    In my case I paid a flat fee per day for feeding and also a flat fee for calving, the first winter and the second winter I bought the feed and paid a flat fee per cow for feeding them and then a flat fee for calving.

My best buddy lives 2 miles down the road, and he custom feeds 300 cows from about November to mid-May. He charges a flat fee of $1.35/day/hd for feeding, and when they start calving around April 10th, he charges an additional flat fee of $40/cow to calve them. If the calf dies, he still charges $40, but he'll also go to the effort of trying to graft on a twin of his own or something. All in all, I think the guy who owns the cows is getting a good deal. His cows are well looked after, and he has his feedlot workers come straight to my buddies place and pick up the pairs, 10-15 at a time. Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

I should have mentioned also that the owner hauls hay to my buddies' place when the cows start calving, just cause he's usually getting low on silage by then. From that point on, he just charges a flat fee for yardage and such, and I'm not sure how much that is.

Comment

Thanks, that's good information.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...