• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AutoDealerAcceptsCattleAsTrade-Ins

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AutoDealerAcceptsCattleAsTrade-Ins

Auto dealer to accept cattle as trade-ins

CP 2005-02-27 03:17:57

COCHRANE, ALTA. -- An automobile dealer says he is willing to help ranchers through the mad cow crisis by accepting cattle as a trade-in toward a new vehicle. "These (farmers) have been sitting on the cattle for close to two years. We're just doing something to try to help them out," said Corry Baum, sales manager at Cochrane Dodge Chrysler.

Beginning tomorrow and for the following two weeks, farmers will be able to trade in as many as 10 head of cattle against the price of a diesel truck and as many as five head against the price of a gasoline unit. Smaller cars will be limited to a few head as trades.

An appraiser will be available at the dealership west of Calgary to determine the fair market value of the animals.

Ranchers have been left with a glut of animals since the U.S. border closed to Canadian livestock 21 months ago when the first of four mad cow cases traced back to Alberta was discovered.

The dealership will sell the cattle to local ranchers for less than the trade-in price, with the business absorbing the loss.

~
    Take care.

Finally a politician with some guts!

Here here Bill Bennett.

Comment

wonder if anyone will tell Robert Kenned Jr the same thing here in AB ? Lorne Taylor did have the guts to stand up to him !!

Comment

I must say it seems like a noble gesture, but in all reality, if I have a glut of cattle on hand, and serious cash flow problems, what in my right freakin mind would I be doing walking into a truck dealership looking for a new diesel at about $50-60,000?

I guess it's only fitting that we have someone else trying to keep farmers/ranchers believing they need this or that. Hell in the midst of this 2-year crisis-arguably 5 or 6-we've seen steel go up 50%, fuel go through the roof, and a whole slew of other commodities. But I guess to be a cowboy or cattleman you're supposed to drive a Crew Cab Diesel. Maybe I qualify. Mine's an ex-gov't. 1991 Crew Cab one ton, with a 6.2L diesel. Great mileage, no power, but it's as close to a Duramax as I'll ever get.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...