• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WhiteHousePressuredUSDA on CanadianBeef?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WhiteHousePressuredUSDA on CanadianBeef?

More reading for those between night checks.

DeLauro: Inspector General said White House pressured USDA on Canadian beef

by Pete Hisey on 2/24/05 for Meatingplace.com

Responding to questioning by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.), ranking minority member of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture, USDA Inspector General Phyllis Fong testified last week that USDA officials told investigators that they had been pressured by an administration source to widen the number of Canadian beef products allowed in to the United States in the wake of the border closure in 2003. Fong also said that meat industry sources heavily lobbied USDA staff on the same issue.

The IG's report (see Inspector General's report slams USDA, APHIS on Canadian beef, Meatingplace.com, Feb. 17, 2005) said that the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service essentially contradicted its own risk assessment in broadening the definition of low-risk beef products to include tongue, cheek meat, and ground beef, among others.

"In reading the report, I found it strange that a fundamental change in policy was being made by an APHIS official with no directive from higher up," DeLauro tells Meatingplace.com. "In his memos, he even admitted that his decisions increased the possibility that higher risk products would enter the U.S. market."

In questioning Fong after her testimony Feb. 17 at a hearing, "what I got back was that two sources, one from the meat industry and one from inside the administration, had applied pressure" to USDA and APHIS staff, DeLauro says. Previous reports had indicated that the pressure had come from the former administrator of APHIS, Bobby Acord, who retired in April of last year. Fong and her investigator, Bob Young, appeared to back away from the administration statement under questioning from Republican members.

The Inspector General's report indicated that USDA and APHIS unilaterally reclassified products as low-risk, sometimes failed to enforce existing standards, and evidently allowed hundreds of millions of pounds of beef from plants that processed both cattle under 30 months and cattle over 30 months without having developed or implemented a plan to keep them segregated. The report also indicates that USDA was aware that the rules changes, most of which were only announced to the public and interested parties months after they were implemented, and allowed import of riskier materials than was true under the original definition of low-risk material.

Janet Reilly, a spokesperson for the American Meat Institute, denied undue pressure on APHIS. "We engaged in the same kind of participation that was always do in issues that affect us," she said. "That's in the notice and public comment stage. It's no secret that we favored then and favor now reopening the border."

The White House press office did not return a call for comment and the subcommittee has not yet posted transcripts of the question-and-answer period following Ms. Fong's prepared remarks.

The House Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture will hold a follow-up hearing with testimony from APHIS personnel on March 16.

Take care.

Let's hope the decision by Ottawa not to become involved in the missile issue doesn't change the border opening !!

Comment

emarld...myself cannot believe what PM Martin is up to... it is hard understand the mentality of Canadian government sometimes...have a feeling these same bleeding heart Canadians (liberals or who ever)would be the first to run to the states for help...if north america ever was attacked again(maybe even Canada)...remember it was still just a short 4 years since 911...

Comment

Martin has to keep the voters down east happy. Our votes out here don't count as we don't vote Liberal anyway.

Comment

Gee what is Martin up to? Could it have anything to do with not supporting the weaponization of space?

If you question Canada's stand on the weaponization of space maybe you would be interested in our competitor's (Australia) view. Pasted link below is a bibliography of internet sites dealing with this issue compiled by the Australian Air Force.

The entire world is concerned about the implications of the U.S. missile defence system including the world's number two beef importer, Japan, which has sought a ban on weapons in space. All of the worlds top ten beef importing nations with the exception of the U.S. are opposed to the weaponization of space.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/aul/bibs/spaceb/space.htm

Comment

I guess we will see on March 7th whether or not our decision not to be involved in the missile system will have an impact on our trade with the US. I think the budget's injection of money into our military is a good sign as far as the US is concerned as it does signal that we just might have some personnel with decent equipment and possibly even some decent uniforms that can assist somewhere in the world.
            I have been watching Question Period every evening and quit because it was giving me nightmares !! We not only don't have a government we have a sorry lot in opposition as well !!!!
            Old Myron Thompson gives the government hell on a regular basis and I admit that is always good entertainment !

Comment

father_son...you would have to admit at least Bush beleives in a vision...whether he is right or wrong only history will tell...unlike our politicians who lean toward any group that may get them re-elected...don't get me wrong I don't like the liberals but at least Trudeau had a vision...as for PM Martin and even opposition leader Harper they both seem to have tunnel vision...

Comment

...sorry for the error should have been farmers_son...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...