• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hay processor twine removal

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hay processor twine removal

Hi! For removing twine from hay processrs, do those electric twine cutters work good that are sold by peavymart....they are something like a electric branding iron or is there somthing better for taking off twine. thanks for any info

We used those burners for a few years and they worked pretty good. Sure a lot nicer than trying to cut the twine off with a knife. I was always a bit nervous that it would start a fire but other than a bit of smoke that was not a problem. They don't work very good on sisel twine. We now have a processor with a harpoon style cutter and that is sure nice.

Comment

Something we saw in a newspaper has me commenting now. A fellow used one of these units to melt off the twines etc on his processor. Once he was finished I guess he went about other chores and came back when the melted twines plus some straw started burning. Sounded like there was a lot of damage to the hydraulic system, paint etc on both the processor and the tractor.

Comment

We have used these twine melters alot over the years and they work well, but have also had some big fires once in awhile. We found the best way to put them out was to turn on the pto and rev up the tractor. Make sure you are outside and not near anything flamable like dry grass or bales because that plastic that is on fire is going to be flying. It has snuffed out any fires we have ever had. It was also a last ditch effert that proved this experiment a success. (whew)

Comment

The electric twine cutter works well, but the twine on the ends of the drum is still tricky to get. I havn't found anything that works better yet.

Comment

burning the twines could be a problem here since this municipality has a total ban on burning any plastic !! Mind you, certain residents ( not mentioning any names ) have been known to burn the odd pile of twine or plastic bale wrap out in the back forty !

Comment

Some of these environmental do gooders need to trip around some of the feed storage pens after the twines get frozen into the ground to understand why we can't stand to have piles of it laying around.

OPPS.........I guess some of the twines were left on that pile of old musty bales that we burnt.

Comment

I have to agree with you woolybear. It is a sad day when some municipal inspector is going to come and stop a farmer from melting his twines off his processor.

Comment

Pass him the knife (dull of course) and tell him to go to it! I know that its for the good of the masses, and the assurance by us the humble producers of food, but all this new paper shuffling in the name of Quality Assurance, Environmental Farm Plans, Animal welfare standards, DNA tracing, etc etc etc is beginning to wear thin.

I apoligize for going on a tangent...... the initial topic is also important to us.

Comment

A recent legeslative change in the UK prohibits farmers from burning or burying paper, plastic, metal or animal pharmacetical products. They say we must be like any other industry and pay for the waste to be hauled away. I'm guessing much of it will go into landfill as recycling is years behind where it is in Canada. Crazy.

Comment

I use a cutting torch. good hot flame cuts through twine like butter. stop every once in a while and put out small fires with snow/water. One slit down whole cylinder, and then either pull it off by hand or turn on PTO.Takes about 5 minutes. Make sure you don't have too much straw in it though!!!

Comment

thanks for all the replies,I bought the electric twine burner and it works excellent.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.